Venting my frustrations on the Long Snapper situation

ivotuk

Reaction score
Sure, Pete's a head coach, and I'm just a fan, but coaches make mistakes, (just run the ball dammit), and fans are forever. We're stuck with the what ifs. So I have to get this off my chest. I hope I'm wrong to worry, but I have a bad feeling about this.

And this stubbornness of refusing to bring back Gresham really irritates me!

I know Pete's trying to "always get better" and wants to make the position of Long Snapper more diverse, but what happens if KPL gets hurt blocking on a kick return and all of a sudden there's no one to Long Snap accurately?

"Kevin Pierre-Louis was long snapping today? Leave it to Seahawks Head Coach, Pete Carroll, to contemplate the unfathomable: not giving one of 53 roster spots to a dedicated long snapper who's job is to do nothing else but snap long. "

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/8/22/125 ... wls-update

If having an accurate Field Goal Kicker is so important, then why isn't getting him the ball accurately just as important? What about those trick plays, like the one that won us the NFCCG against Green Bay?

This team wins a lot of close games, and even when behind, they are rarely more than a Field Goal down, and that is why PROFICIENCY in all THREE phases of the kicking game are so important! To me, the continuity of the field goal is not something that you screw around with. Jon Ryan can only do so much.

Clint Gresham was so good, that he snapped the ball so that it arrived at Jon Ryan with the laces facing the same way, almost every time! They practiced this over and over, that's how dedicated this kicking team was.

What Pete doesn't seem to realize is that this is a cumulative position, so much comes down to 1 thing, the entire season can depend on one accurate snap. And that is magnified with a team that plays such close games.

We as Seahawks fans have seen it. Before Pete got here, we suffered through the misery of innacurate Long Snapper after innacurate Long Snapper. J.P. Darche was hard to replace, and many of us were so happy with the peace of mind that Clint Gresham gave us.

"Earlier this offseason, the Seahawks signed former Houston Texans long snapper Bryan Pittman to a one-year deal. The Seahawks have been trying to find a permanent snapper for punts and field-goal and point-after attempts since J.P. Darche left the team following the 2006 season."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... ompetition

But for Pete, it doesn't seem to be that important. The frustration I feel reminds of how I felt right before our season opener in the San Diego heat and humidity when Pete said "They have to play in it too."

I could have exploded! Let's see, their bodies are acclimated to the heat and humidity, they are going to wear white uniforms, we will be wearing dark blue (just like in Jacksonville in our 2005 Superbowl year[history repeats iself]), they are going to hydrate days before the game (will the Seahawks?), the SD players, and equipment people are extremely familiar with the equipment they need on the field, (the Seahawks had people holding 4' x 8' bulletin boards over the players for shade)...I could go on and on.

My point? Coaches make mistakes. And it's expected with them juggling so much, but when EVERYBODY is saying "Bring back Clint Gresham," imho, the Coach should think that one through very carefully. Just like when EVERYBODY was asking "how are you preparing your team for the heat and humidity in San Diego?'

My opinion may mean little, but John Clayton and Brock Huard have been around the NFL a long time, and they (like many Seattle fans), have seen the heartbreak caused by having a stopgap Long Snapper.

With every player on this team working their ass off to make this the best season ever, do you really want to risk the whole thing by scrimping on the Long Snapper position? It's a cumulative effect, 1 bad snap could lead to 1 lost game, which could lead to losing Home Field Advantage (to AZ), which could lead to playing an early game on the East Coast, which could lead to watching the Superbowl from home.

I can't help but think about them overthinking the last play in the Superbowl, they should have just run it. Why can't things just be simple?

Anyway, rant over.

P.S. Congratulations to J.P. Darche who was accepted in to University of Kansas Medical School (in 2014).

http://www.seahawkslegends.com/just-call-him-dr-darche/

Other old articles on J.P. Darche:

"Usually on Media Day at the Super Bowl, the long snapper is the loneliest man in the stadium. "

http://old.seattletimes.com/html/seahaw ... ell01.html

"Do Special teams players get enough credit from the fans and the media?

I think it's good enough. Of course the attention is always going to be on the guys who score touchdowns but this is a specialized job. You don't get as much credit but that's all fine with me. It's probably a tougher job than most people think, as if they'd keep a guy around just to snap a ball, kick, or punt. If it was easy they could get anybody to do it—it's a tough job. I don't mind not getting attention. If I get attention it's usually because I didn't do my job."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1708 ... -jp-darche

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Preach it Brother! I am with you 100%.

Not having a quality long snapper is a massive mistake. We saw last week the importance of having a quality long snapper (or not having one more accurately). Games can be lost due to a bad snap. And the San Diego game I also am with you there. That was a HUGE mistake to have the players so unprepared for that heat and we all know how that game turned out (and I was there in person in the nose bleeds about 6 inches from the Sun...It was unbearable and I didn't have to run around with pads and a helmet on).

Basis4day

Reaction score
I don't really see what the LS and the SD game two years ago really have to do with eachother.

But if we're on the SD game, the temp was an anomaly. You cant prepare for that.

Its the same as criticizing for not acclimating to the Minn playoff game that year. Humans aren't meant to be exposed to those temps.

mikeak

Reaction score
I get it but at some point all specialty positions are a positive vs negative game

So maybe being loaded at WR and RB / not being sure which to keep makes the coaching staff feel that it is really worth it not to dedicate a roster spot to a long snapper. The issue is always the drop-off from the current guy to the next guy. It is at least worth reviewing and checking on by testing others.....

and as we all know - Sowell can snap as well :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BC4Nbw4KQJU/

gowazzu02

Reaction score
This is salary cap football people. Clints a vet, vets minimum salary increase year over year. JS/PC are trying to save a few bucks. Something about paying the quarteback or the entire secondary....dont even get started on the disgruntled dlineman.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Did Pete actually say he was considering not having a dedicated LS or is Field Gulls making assumptions because KPL practiced at the position?

For what it's worth, we have a family friend who was a reserve LB in the NFL who became a LS and made his NFL career that way. He won NFL Special Teams Player of the Year at one point (not sure that award exists any more).

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Basis4day":1ue9kq1n said:
But if we're on the SD game, the temp was an anomaly. You cant prepare for that..

Oh yes you can. The Chargers players were given fluids BEFORE the game started where our players did not get fluids until the game was going on. Many I hear were cramping, heaving and having to go to the locker room for IV fluids. The coaching staff new damn well how hot it was going to be that day. If we did as fans, certainly they knew, and they failed to proactively take measures to help combat the heat until it was basically too late.

kf3339

Reaction score
Makes perfect sense Ivotuk, which is why PC won't make that move IMO.

It's not the first time PC has made stupid moves that have cost this team. I could list plenty from personnel to game planning where his stubborn ways have costs this team games we should have won.

It is just his nature to think he is smarter than every other person when it comes to football. Some will debate that statement, but I could care less.

We lost a second straight Super Bowl because of decisions made specifically by PC. Who does that? Only someone with such a big ego, no one else can get in his head to say he is wrong.

JS won't do it. PA won't do it. So who?

Nope, it's not going to happen. Just wait and see.

kearly

Reaction score
There's still two more weeks of preseason to go, and with long snapper you don't really need to be on the roster to stay sharp or in game shape. It makes sense for Seattle to explore all options before committing the extra $200-$300k on Gresham. If things don't improve the next two weeks, I would be shocked if they don't bring Gresham back.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
kf3339":2qmpzq3n said:

It's not the first time PC has made stupid moves that have cost this team. I could list plenty from personnel to game planning where his stubborn ways have costs this team games we should have won.

It is just his nature to think he is smarter than every other person when it comes to football. Some will debate that statement, but I could care less.

We lost a second straight Super Bowl because of decisions made specifically by PC. Who does that? Only someone with such a big ego, no one else can get in his head to say he is wrong.

That's a touch salty. What, is he your neighbor and steals your morning paper? :p

All great coaches have ego and Pete is no exception but I certainly don't believe it governs his every thought or move. The consensus suggests that it was Bevell that called that fateful play and Pete took the bullet for him after the game. Pete's not perfect but I definitely do not believe he has some out of control ego that corrupts otherwise sound decision making.

kearly

Reaction score
kf3339":1zxizcno said:

I don't see it as being an ego thing with Pete.

He is a bit of a nutty professor though, no doubt. His decisions often drive rational minds crazy, but it's also part of what makes him great.

sc85sis

Reaction score
kf3339":27cyqiro said:

Yes, Pete has made mistakes. He's human—mistakes come with the territory. I don't believe it's a given that he's some sort of egomaniac who won't listen to anyone else simply because he's not perfect. His relationship with Jon belies that idea. Their partnership has been lauded for the lack of ego demonstrated by both men. Furthermore, Pete has owned up to his mistakes—behavior I wouldn't expect from someone as ego-driven and rigid as you seem to think he is.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
kearly":ff9ro2dq said:
He is a bit of a nutty professor though, no doubt. His decisions often drive rational minds crazy, but it's also part of what makes him great.

Nutty Professor...Nailed it.

tonyseahawk

Reaction score
This is probably the most frustrating thing for me so far (next to not being able to sack the bad guys). Its super scary. And for those of us that have been Hawk fans long enough, there's a little bug in the ear saying "you're going to lose some games from bad snaps". I'll stand by my words that if they dont figure it out, we'll all get to watch a game or 2 where the long snapper directly affected the outcome of the game.....in a bad way. Common sense tells me this. Not added value/to adjusted play/ to wins gained/ to gravitational effect/ to the football players batting %. And to me, thats just sickening. I dont ever ever even want to here the LS even mentioned.

two dog

Reaction score
I don't think it has to do with Pete's ego at all. It's dollars and a damned
poor place to save a few.

I have visions of the current snapper making no mistakes the remainder
of the preseason, saving them for when they really count.

I share the OP's views and memories of the post-Darche season. Didn't we
ultimately end up with bringing a long snapper out of retirement after
a succession of failed replacements ?

The coaches are forever talking about consistency and solidifying a position
but then cut a player who exemplified both those terms.

xgeoff

Reaction score
I am with you. Am totally confused. They wanted to save money, by cutting their long snapper? My goodness how much was Gresham making?

I love the idea of not having a dedicated roster spot for your longsnapper but my goodness, at least try the guys out in camp before you cut your current guy.

Just another example of experienced pros not always knowing what their doing.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Trying out KPL sounds like the last-ditch move before they finally shrug their shoulders and undo their mistake.