Initial thoughts on game 3

kearly

Reaction score
Wow what a game.

Normally I don't talk about the opponent much, but Dallas is an intriguing team and they had an intriguing game tonight to say the least. Starting with Tony Romo getting things started off with his "old Matt Hasselbeck" impression. It must have been weird being a Dallas fan, going from insanely depressed to excited for the future in the swing of an hour or so.

Does Dallas have a better starting defense than Seattle? Of course not, but Ezekiel Elliot and Dak Prescott sure made it feel that way. How weird is it that arguably the two most impressive offensive rookies in years are both on the same team at the same time?

I know it's just one game, but Elliot wasn't just running through huge holes every down. He had to be patient, feel the defense, and create. Seattle would stuff the side he was running to and he'd still find a way to create a big play. I honestly don't know if I have ever seen a RB create against Pete Carroll's defense like that. And his power. Not quite Lynch-like, but disturbingly close. He and Kam squared each other up a few times, and Kam lost. 'Zeke' ended with seven yards a carry... AT Seattle... against the starters. What a sensational debut for Elliot.

Prescott did a great job of trusting his protection and putting the ball on his receivers. While he had a very impressive game to continue his remarkable preseason, I do think he's one of those QBs who's going to have a rude awakening against elite pass rushes that don't give him all day to throw on 3rd and 10. That's not to diminish what he's done, he's playing better than all but a few rookie QBs ever have.

Dallas' starting D has really turned itself into something. It kind of reminds me of the pats D. Not much pressure or TFL potential, but it's really hard to run for 4+ on them. They have the speed in the back seven to kill short passes dead on arrival, or so it seemed in this game at least. That said, depth is going to be an issue for them, the 2nd string run defense made all of our RBs look good.

Wilson had the kind of game that exposes the flaws in passer rating. Wilson went 16-22 with most of those completions being useless dumpoffs and screens for minimal gain. He had some deeper targets to Kearse and Lockett that helped inflate his YPA, not to mention a 43 yard connection to a comically wide open Tanner McEvoy. Both of Wilson's TDs, though impressive, looked really hard to do. We all love Russell Wilson magic, but I like effortless Russell Wilson a lot more. That said, I suspect Bevell's typically rusty first-half playcalling had a little to do with the boom or bust nature of Wilson's performance tonight. It wasn't as dominant a performance as Wilson's 122 passer rating would suggest, but it was still a nice step in the right direction after a rough start in weeks 1-2.

Baldwin is a very good receiver who has great chemistry with Wilson. Baldwin will probably lead Seattle's receivers in production again this year. However, this game solidified in my mind that Tyler Lockett is our most talented receiver. There's things he can do that nobody else does as well. The only reason a guy like this made it to the third round is because physically he looks like a guy that would literally get killed on the field. Thankfully for Lockett, he has a magical ability to walk away from brutal hits and cringe-worthy ugly tackles like he's Gumby.

Even though Michael's YPC was very poor in the first half, I think that's really just a credit to Dallas' run defense. Michael did his job and got 3 yards when 3 yards was the most he could get. When the second team defense went in, Michael roasted them so badly that it raised his game YPC all the way to eight yards per carry. Michael is still clearly the #2 RB behind Rawls in my view, but it's nice knowing that Michael might be a top 10 RB in the NFL if we need to call on him.

Pretty much all of our RBs looked good in this game, thanks to that questionable second string defense for Dallas. Procise showed better between the tackles rushing than I expected and seemed like a natural fit for Tom Cable. It's really a shame Seattle never got the ball into Procise's hands out in the flat, they seemed to throw that pass 15 times in this game but couldn't figure out a way to do it for CJ...

By the time Alex Collins took his 3rd step on his first carry, you could tell that his burst from his Arkansas days was finally back. The previous two games he looked like such a plodder, nothing like the size + burst guy he was in college. Well, the Arkansas version of Collins finally arrived, and he looked great. It's still disappointing that he failed to convert yet another 3rd and short (though in fairness I think Collins ran it as well as he could have). To see Seattle fake the handoff to him on 4th and 1 says a bit about their opinion of his short yardage ability so far. Boykin kept it for a pass-option bootleg, then pulled a Seneca Wallace by running out of bounds.

On defense, it was mostly a night to forget, with Prescott having all day to throw when he needed it on obvious passing downs.

Bennett flashed into the backfield several times, just "wow" plays. Against any RB not name Ezekiel Elliot, Bennett would have probably had 2-3 TFLs in the first half.

Clark had another nice game, including a monstrous pressure up the middle.

Avril helped force Seattle's first sack.

Quinton Jefferson made some NFL plays.

Earl Thomas had an all-pro moment on a pass-breakup.

The OL didn't face a murderers row of pass rushers, but they did a mostly outstanding job in protection, and did an incredible job in particular at picking up the blitz. Seattle's 2nd string OL continues to be a force at run blocking.

I didn't watch individual OL all that close yet, but Webb seemed to hold his own just fine.

Like the previous two preseason games, Boykin was incredibly impressive at times and ugly at others.

Tharold Simon had a brutal game it seemed like. Tyvis Powell at corner worked about as well as you would expect.

I can't believe KJ Wright didn't intercept that pass!

The only person happier than Ezekiel Elliot fantasy owners was Clint Gresham. I could almost hear the sound of champagne bottles popping from seeing three more bad snaps (even if one of them indirectly helped Seattle score a TD).

DavidSeven

Reaction score
It's hard not to overreact to what Prescott's done this preseason. I sort of agree that he'd come back down to Earth in a real game and it doesn't take much to shake a young QB's confidence, but boy, this guy has all the tools and has poise in excess. A relatively quiet outing for him in Week 3, but he at least looked the part against our 1s.

I'm one of the biggest Zeke skeptics out there, and I still say that OL is doing a lot of the work. But you have to love how he gets low and downhill. He's a finisher. Much like Thomas Rawls showed last year. Kam Chancellor is a guy who stood (a fit) Eddie Lacy straight up, and he got trucked tonight -- not once but twice. At the very least, you have to think this kid is an upgrade over McFadden, who was an over-the-hill back who looked positively elite behind that line.

I don't know what to make of Collins. Does he have enough time left to make a statement? He did look real nice on those first two runs. Like a different guy. In the prior games, it looked like he alone was holding the entire offense back. Just unbelievable futility. I thought he ran too high for a power back and looked too unathletic to be anything else. Maybe it was the injury. It'll be interesting to see how much opportunity he gets in Week 4, especially with Brooks and Pope looking more versatile as every-down backs. I agree that taking it out of AC's hands on that 4th-and-1 wasn't a vote of confidence.

I know people have been loving Boykin, and I do see those glimpses of brilliance, but man, I don't think this kid is quite ready to step into a real NFL game. He just can't seem to make the easy plays. I guess Tarvaris is always out there as insurance if #3 goes down, but I can't say I feel entirely confident in this backup situation.

Yeah, I don't have much insightful to say. Bottom line, it did mostly look like Seahawks football on both sides to me (slow start and all), so I take that as a positive thing in whole.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Kearly usually you're awesome but really? Dallas? Zack Prescott? Come on man. This is a team with no pass rush, two actual options on offense and a quarterback made of glass. In an actual game we beat them by 30 points. They aren't good. The Giants and Redskins are right at their level. Each of them are BAD.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
It's good to see you back DavidSeven.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Wilson is back! The most important thing about this game was Russ playing well and he did, so that's great.

I was actually impressed with the D-line for the first time this pre-season. Finally some sacks and against a good o-line as well.

Someone people haven't been talking about a lot is Farmer but while he's not putting up highlight plays he's incredibly consistent in the satelite back role. He has 1 run for 9 yards and 1 catch for 9 yards. He's been putting up similar numbers three games in a row. He's not targeted a lot or even on the field much for that matter but when he's out there he's very reliable. Brooks has been horrible at this role and Prosise is still a huge question mark. I'm rooting for him to at least make the PS. He's only been playing RB for a month or so and already showing great promise.

Also got note that Zeke indeed lokks like the real deal. Reminds me a lot of Rawls but more polished. Almost guaranteed OROY.

Tylerhawk

Reaction score
kearly thank you so much for your posts and write ups I always love reading your stuff. Dak Prescott is a guy I really liked watching tape on before the draft and to see him play as good as he has always makes me happy. Its so hard to watch preseason games on the ones because I'm always wondering if they are playing hard or not except for earl that guy plays hard every time. But still I would like to think that Dak would not have as much time to throw back in the pocket and Elliott would not have holes to run in or at the very least Bennett would make the plays that would have been TFL like you said. Well thank you for letting to say my thoughts and again thank you Kearly for your write ups. :irishdrinkers:

Fade

Reaction score
Seattle needs to get more creative with their gun runs. Inside zone, and zone read are not enough. (They are one in the same really.) Dallas' D sat on that play the entire 1st half, and shut down their run game.

I want to see more designed bootlegs, and roll Russell out more when the regular season starts. They don't do this enough. And opposing DC's love this fact.

It was pretty telling to me Alex Collins only got 2 carries. Pope is clearly more explosive. Collins is going to have to light it up in game 4, or he is getting cut.

Tanner McEvoy is going to sneak onto this roster. He can be a move TE / 5th WR, and contribute on special teams.

The O-Line gets a N/A from me. Their opponent was too weak to really gauge them in pass pro. The line is ahead of where they were at this point last year, and the schedule is softer this year, so a faster start should transpire.

Britt still makes me nervous in pass pro. So does LT. They are good at Guard, and can survive at RT, whether it be Gilliam or Webb.

Paul Richardson should be ahead of Kearse on the depth chart.

If Tharold Simon makes the team it will be a travesty. There are many more deserving players, both short term, and long term that can help this team.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
Fade":1d7oih6d said:
Seattle needs to get more creative with their gun runs. Inside zone, and zone read are not enough. (They are one in the same really.) Dallas' D sat on that play the entire 1st half, and shut down their run game.

I want to see more designed bootlegs, and roll Russell out more when the regular season starts. They don't do this enough. And opposing DC's love this fact.

It was pretty telling to me Alex Collins only got 2 carries. Pope is clearly more explosive. Collins is going to have to light it up in game 4, or he is getting cut.

Tanner McEvoy is going to sneak onto this roster. He can be a move TE / 5th WR, and contribute on special teams.

The O-Line gets a N/A from me. Their opponent was too weak to really gauge them in pass pro. The line is ahead of where they were at this point last year, and the schedule is softer this year, so a faster start should transpire.

Britt still makes me nervous in pass pro. So does LT. They are good at Guard, and can survive at RT, whether it be Gilliam or Webb.

Paul Richardson should be ahead of Kearse on the depth chart.

If Tharold Simon makes the team it will be a travesty. There are many more deserving players, both short term, and long term that can help this team.

The Schedule may be "softer", but we start off with the following Dline players in our first 4 games, Ndamukong Suh, Aaron Donald, Analyst are raving at the 49ers front 4 and then we finish off with the Jets who have Wilkerson, Richardson and William. Oline has their work cut out for them.

Largent80

Reaction score
First of all for fans outside of Seattle and even ones living in Texas two gigantic thumbs down to NFL Network for not only picking the game up late in the 2nd quarter but after their stupid line up of shows preceeding the 10:00 central game time they actually did a live Total Access while the game was being played !!!!!!! And showed about 15 shots of poor little Romo and his owie.

As far as the game, it was nice to see Collins bursting through the center of the line. C Mike was ripping of large chunks, and the O-Line was getting it done. I think Farmer will be a cut soon, along with Brooks.

Dallas has a great OL, but the Hawks are still lacking in the pass rush Dept.

Wright has to be kicking himself over that TD play.

Lockett is simply outstanding, and after watching McEvoy I don't see how they can leave him off the final 53. He made a believer out of me.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Dallas' defense is their glaring weak point. The only reason Seattle scored 10 points was the craptastic play calling (see always failing bubble screens and dink and dank crap). Dallas' O-line is good, especially with run blocking and getting away with a ton of holding. Their pass protect needs work as Romo is always getting killed, and Dak took a couple of good licks by Sherm and Wags. Got a feeling Jerruh's kids will be going thru QB's like a kid in and candy store, he better have Kitna on speed dial.

Seattle didn't play the perfect game yesterday but it was good after they got aggressive with the playcalling on both sides of the ball. On offense the sky is the limit, but what is and will hold them back is the OC (the weakest link) and craptastic first half play calling. The bubble screen doesn't work at the NFL level very often, especially with the personnel we have. They need to 86 that play from the playbook completely.

We tend to score TD's when we are throwing the ball DOWN FIELD and mixing in the run.

Edit: Just saw that hours before the game Zeke visited a pot shop and TMZ has the video of it.
Old Skelator Jones is not happy about it. Wonder if the NFL will test their new "Golden Boy", somehow I doubt it.

Seafan

Reaction score
Excellent write up Kearly. Dak and Zeke are perfect fits for that Dallas OL but like you pointed out you have to wonder what Dak would do under a lot of pressure. I would think that team could ride the running game which should help bail out the defense a little as well. If they can hang in there for the first half of the season they have reinforcements coming in later.

Gresham needs a phone call today.

Hawk RB situation is outstanding. Practice squad is going to be loaded too.

Tough decisions to be made on the OL.

Russ looked like his old self. He'll need that quickness with these tackles.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I think Elliott helped wake this team up. We seemed to be sleepwalking again out the gate and Dallas just punching us in the mouth on that drive after the Romo injury seemed to give them some semblance of a wake up call.

I'm calling it right now though, Romo is going to get knocked out of a game and open the door for Dak to pull a Tom Brady on him.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":33msacef said:
I think Elliott helped wake this team up. We seemed to be sleepwalking again out the gate and Dallas just punching us in the mouth on that drive after the Romo injury seemed to give them some semblance of a wake up call.

I'm calling it right now though, Romo is going to get knocked out of a game and open the door for Dak to pull a Tom Brady on him.
Who's going to replace Dak when he gets knocked out???? Dak got knocked around a bit for the first time last night.
That O-line is good, but their QB's get lit up quite often.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3lb6t19b said:
Hasselbeck":3lb6t19b said:

Who's going to replace Dak when he gets knocked out???? Dak got knocked around a bit for the first time last night.
That O-line is good, but their QB's get lit up quite often.

Dak can take hits just fine. Romo got injured on a very minor tackle. That really does not bode well for Romo going forward this season. I'm sure if this game counted he'd have tried to go back out there, but still.. He looks very frail at this point.

But that's enough Cowboy chat from me ;)

2_0_6

Reaction score
Great write up.

Although Dak has looked great through 3 weeks, he reminds me a lot of Kapernick. As soon as teams start to scout him, and figure out what makes him uncomfortable, he will sink back down to normal levels.

Seafan

Reaction score
Largent80":1t1s4rn7 said:
First of all for fans outside of Seattle and even ones living in Texas two gigantic thumbs down to NFL Network for not only picking the game up late in the 2nd quarter but after their stupid line up of shows preceeding the 10:00 central game time they actually did a live Total Access while the game was being played !!!!!!!

I guess you live in the Houston Texan's reach. The game was live locally here near San Antonio. I listened to Raible and Moon and watched the entire game live. We also get all of the Texan's games as well. I'm a little surprised there is anywhere in Texas that can't get a Cowboy game.

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
Wilson, IMO, is the very best in the NFL at throwing deep while scrambling! I've always thought he does this better than anybody and he showed it again last night. In the pocket, he's good, but when he's running and not "thinking" he's the best!

Timberhawk

Reaction score
Great write up as always. Thanks kearly for the time and insight. I greatly appreciate reading your posts.

Go Hawks!

ACFan

Reaction score
I first thought Elliot wasn't worth the pick Dallas spent on him, I was probably wrong about that.

Glad to see the offense get going.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Maybe the plan is to not have a long snapper at all. Never punt and always go for the 2 point conversion. Problem solved.