Seahawk offense

Ruminator

Reaction score
As if prescribed, the first quarter and sometimes the entire first half of the Seahawks' offense tend to be forgettable and sometimes even ugly, whereas for the rest of the game they magically show up and either win or at least make it close. They might execute a few good plays in the first quarter (or half), but I wouldn't be surprised if Seahawks had one of the most lopsided first-half FGs to second-half TDs ratio in the league last season. I recall several discouraging first halves last year.

Yesterday's game vs. the 'boys unfolded the same way. Sometimes I sarcastically tell myself not to bother turning on the game until the start of the second quarter. One would think the team should try to start strong and score TDs in the first quarter if possible because every point counts, and that's what I'm sure all of us would like to see, but it seems increasingly apparent that Wilson & Co. just need to get a series or two out of the way before being able to really settle down and start taking command.

One of the things I loved seeing most last night was Richardson's performance catching and staying healthy all game. And his fired-up emotions immediately after his TD catch was also good to see. Hope he stays healthy all year because he's a great weapon to have on offense.

It perturbs me, however, the way our wide receivers are sometimes essentially asked to "take one for the team" when running out there getting open, and positioning to make a catch once the ball is in the air. Once RW lofts the ball, the receiver is sometimes like a baby seal out on the water with orcas underneath bearing down at full speed. (And maybe it just seems this way to me just because I root for the Seahawks, but it seems our receivers bear the brunt of ugly tackles and collisions more than the average receiver in the league.) Is it just me, or are others seeing this too? Maybe this is sometimes "necessary" because of the way RW tries to keep a play alive, but one thing's for sure: one cannot understate the importance for our receivers need to be tough as nails and yet flexible. Meanwhile, I'll be hoping for a lot more decisive quick strikes to less-vulnerable receivers.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I see this as them trying out the run game early, and sticking with it even when it doesn't work.

They are usually very conservative in the passing game until they get some tape, then make adjustments.

I understand the mentality, and appreciate it, but I'd like to see us attack opponents' weaknesses from the start more often, you know, like we game planned for them or something.

Establishing the run in the 1st quarter is fine. I'd rather see it established in the 4th quarter with a lead. A sizeable lead.

sutz

Reaction score
Well, we don't "game plan" normally in the pre-season, so.....

:229031_shrug:

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
But we do gameplan...for preseason and the first 6 games into the season too...

Attachments

• vanilla.jpg
    vanilla.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 788

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
We typically elect to kick when we win the toss, and many other teams elect to receive. Because of this, we tend to have fewer first-quarter possessions than our opponent.

We also compound the issue by taking a few "jabs" at our opponent to see what works and what doesn't work, and to set up plays later in the game based on looks we give them in the first quarter.

We're probably going to be slow out of the blocks as long as Carroll is in charge of the team, simply because of those two factors that are fundamental to his coaching philosophy.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I believe game planning is this staffs biggest weakness but that they do a better than average if not terrific job of adjustment at the half. I also believe that a lot of our first quarter plays are designed and run in order to gain information as to how the defense will react in that situation.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Part of it is that it takes a lot of discipline to play against Wilson, and teams have a greater chance of having a lapse in discipline as the game goes on.

justafan

Reaction score
I dont expect much in preseason.I would like to see better execution but its just practice.I think once the regular season starts you will see a commitment to the run.At least I hope so.

I would love to see them commit early and run often.Love a physical style of offense and it seems the D usually responds to it also.

Basis4day

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":2vahiou3 said:
We also compound the issue by taking a few "jabs" at our opponent to see what works and what doesn't work, and to set up plays later in the game based on looks we give them in the first quarter.

This