Knock on wood.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
In the preseason, it's easy to miss the forest for the trees. This has been a very productive time for shoring up potential weaknesses. In addition, the team is as healthy as I can remember at this stage entering the season, as there have been no really significant injuries.

The entire starting defense looks ready to go (sans rookie Jarran Reed with the injured toe). Tony McDaniel looks right at home manning the three technique. Rookie Quinton Jefferson has looked very good as well. Frank Clark has been a force, blowing up and pancaking blockers. Avril played with real intensity for the first time this preseason, notching two sacks. Michael Bennett has looked phenomenal. It's hard to be legitimately concerned about the pass rush when you have rushers of this caliber. Kam Chancellor and Jordan Hill were back in the lineup looking recharged. Mike Morgan's stellar play at Sam has erased all the doubt that I had about filling that position. Jeremy Lane and DeShawn Shead are playing the best football of their lives. If they continue to improve and play with intensity, this group may have a chance to rival the 2013 defense.

The offense has finally started to click. The first TD drive was all out of the I-Formation. Will Tukuafu adds some much-needed physicality. Russell Wilson just looks more comfortable dropping back with Tukuafu giving him the extra protection and confusing the defense. Doug Baldwin, Tyler Lockett, Jermaine Kearse, and Paul Richardson have all made some great catches for Wilson. Brandon Williams and Luke Willson look like a solid one-two punch at TE, while Jimmy Graham gets ready to play. Graham was suited up before the game and his return should be just around the corner. Hopefully, the success of Williams as an in-line TE will allow Graham to play more in the slot and split out wide. Christine Michael continues to play with the same hunger, intensity, and discipline that he showed at the end of last season. C.J. Prosise has shown intriguing explosiveness to add yet another dimension to the offense. And Thomas "The Rhino" Rawls is almost back too. Ryan and Hauschka are playing great, despite a few hiccups from the new long snapper.

The offensive line has played better than anyone could have anticipated when the year began. Justin Britt has been a revelation at center, playing with excellent technique and pad level and showing real leadership at the center position that we have not had since Max Unger's best days. Germaine Ifedi has looked like a great First Round pick. Mark Glowinski has looked good too. Bradley Sowell has been a surprise by showing consistency in his technique. His emergence has been another steadying presence. Garry Gilliam is adjusting to his new weight class, which should pay dividends as the season progresses. J'Marcus Webb looks so far, so good, adding more depth and experience. The way the line is shaping up, building cohesion and depth, reminds me of the start of the 2012 season. After being bullied for the better part of three seasons, the OL has the opportunity to return to being the bullies upfront.

kearly

Reaction score
I love the optimism.

I thought Seattle was having an ugly preseason until they woke up a few series into the Dallas game, but we know what this team should be and they are near the top of the SB favorites list for good reason.

I still worry about how well Seattle's offense will fare when teams game plan for Wilson instead of Lynch. Seattle's offense played at a historical level late last season in large part because teams were playing Seattle with game plans they drew up during the offseason, plans that were about stopping Lynch and keeping him from shattering their souls and taking over games. Rawls is a statistically superior RB and probably an even better fit for Cable, but I don't think he or C-Mike leave DCs waking up in cold sweats the way that Lynch did at his peak due to Lynch's unbelievable intangible impact on games. When Seattle changed their offense mid-season, they essentially caught the rest of the league with their pants down.

The Vikings preseason game worried me some because the Vikings covered up Seattle's receivers so well, it was a worrying sign that teams have adjusted to Seattle's new spread heavy emphasis this offseason. Seattle had more success against Dallas, but in the process they essentially reverted back to the pre-2015 Seahawks offense, the kind that gets the job done but relies on broken plays and making things look harder than they should be. That plus Bevell was back to his usual first half ways even in the Dallas game.

Ultimately, it's guesswork at best to determine how much of an issue this will be based on the preseason. My 14 win optimism for Seattle is based around the idea that Russell Wilson can continue to be the surgeon he was at the end of last season, and so far I've only seen glimpses of it. Under pressure to get off the Schneid against Dallas, Russell went back to his pre-2015 comfort zone. He performed well, but I have mixed feelings about what it says that he had to revert to have success. He's really only had one drive where he surgically picked apart a defense this preseason, and that was his very first which ended in an interception.

For sure, there is a lot to be optimistic about. It's preseason, but Seattle's offensive line performance is worthy of comparisons to the 2015 Panthers OL. The OL depth has been good too, for the most part.

Our pass rush has been underwhelming in terms of total sacks and pressures, and our zones have been getting picked on, but Seattle has tightened things up nicely when opponents get inside the 40. To me it feels like we are one injury away at corner, LB, and DT away from being in trouble, but for now, everyone is mostly healthy.

Seattle's running game this year is going to be so much fun. If Rawls can prove last season wasn't a fluke, then Seattle could have a realistic chance at 3000 rushing yards (the 2014 Seahawks had 2762).

Laloosh

Reaction score
That bit about playing from the I-Formation is interesting. Last year we were pretty bad at passing the ball when Russ was under center (71% cmp in shotgun vs 57% cmp from under center).

The OL looks good but I'm concerned (based on last season) about short yardage and red zone rushing. Will be interesting to see how that plays out over the next several weeks.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Re: Rushing yards. Let's see what we have in our "back pocket" for Oakland next Thursday. I know....it is the "throw away" of Pre-season games, but I want to see how consistent our OLine is at opening holes for our RB's. I'd like to see 200 yards for the game.

OP
OP
H

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Game 4 is mostly about the periphery -- a few trees in the forrest, if you will. Who grabs roster spots at RB and WR? Who excels on special teams? Who takes the limited roster spots in the secondary? Other than that, the starters will get a short tuneup. This is particularly important for Thomas Rawls, who hasn't played yet. You hope to see sound tackling, assignment execution, the penalties eliminated, continued progress by the backup QB, etc.

Laloosh

Reaction score
When are you going to start doing some more gifs? Trying to remember if they do all-22 for the preseason games. Last night's game would have some good stuff.

Just re-upped the game pass account for this year but I might have to ease into it.

JPatera76

Reaction score
imo Oakland is going to be a lot tougher for the simple fact of 3 people, Bruce, Norton and Smith all ex seahawks/staff and all 3 know our defense including weaknesses and strengths.

dogorama

Reaction score
I like the glass half full approach. It's really difficult to assess anything in the preseason but the simple fact that they addressed areas of concern makes me confident that they are at least on the right track.

A veteran OL said in an interview the other day that he thought Glowinski would have a great career w/pro bowl seasons. I believe that will be true for Ifedi as well.

If Graham comes back fully recovered he will only add to a receiver corp that will be VERY difficult to defend. I believe that we are keeping our best looks under wrap.

A good thing about these Thursday night preseason games is that we get an extra three days to prepare for our first regular season game. Add to that a more favorable first half schedule than last year, and I like the way things are setting up.

The greatest thing about the preseason is that it is almost over. Here's hoping.

kf3339

Reaction score
hawknation2016":626g2jfv said:
In the preseason, it's easy to miss the forest for the trees. This has been a very productive time for shoring up potential weaknesses. In addition, the team is as healthy as I can remember at this stage entering the season, as there have been no really significant injuries.

The entire starting defense looks ready to go (sans rookie Jarran Reed with the injured toe). Tony McDaniel looks right at home manning the three technique. Rookie Quinton Jefferson has looked very good as well. Frank Clark has been a force, blowing up and pancaking blockers. Avril played with real intensity for the first time this preseason, notching two sacks. Michael Bennett has looked phenomenal. It's hard to be legitimately concerned about the pass rush when you have rushers of this caliber. Kam Chancellor and Jordan Hill were back in the lineup looking recharged. Mike Morgan's stellar play at Sam has erased all the doubt that I had about filling that position. Jeremy Lane and DeShawn Shead are playing the best football of their lives. If they continue to improve and play with intensity, this group may have a chance to rival the 2013 defense.

The offense has finally started to click. The first TD drive was all out of the I-Formation. Will Tukuafu adds some much-needed physicality. Russell Wilson just looks more comfortable dropping back with Tukuafu giving him the extra protection and confusing the defense. Doug Baldwin, Tyler Lockett, Jermaine Kearse, and Paul Richardson have all made some great catches for Wilson. Brandon Williams and Luke Willson look like a solid one-two punch at TE, while Jimmy Graham gets ready to play. Graham was suited up before the game and his return should be just around the corner. Hopefully, the success of Williams as an in-line TE will allow Graham to play more in the slot and split out wide. Christine Michael continues to play with the same hunger, intensity, and discipline that he showed at the end of last season. C.J. Prosise has shown intriguing explosiveness to add yet another dimension to the offense. And Thomas "The Rhino" Rawls is almost back too. Ryan and Hauschka are playing great, despite a few hiccups from the new long snapper.

The offensive line has played better than anyone could have anticipated when the year began. Justin Britt has been a revelation at center, playing with excellent technique and pad level and showing real leadership at the center position that we have not had since Max Unger's best days. Germaine Ifedi has looked like a great First Round pick. Mark Glowinski has looked good too. Bradley Sowell has been a surprise by showing consistency in his technique. His emergence has been another steadying presence. Garry Gilliam is adjusting to his new weight class, which should pay dividends as the season progresses. J'Marcus Webb looks so far, so good, adding more depth and experience. The way the line is shaping up, building cohesion and depth, reminds me of the start of the 2012 season. After being bullied for the better part of three seasons, the OL has the opportunity to return to being the bullies upfront.

Great write up! :irishdrinkers: