On the bubble wide receivers

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Kasen Williams needs to get going.

I still think McEvoy sticks as the 5th.

Goodley to me is the classic flash in the pre-season guy but I don'the think he is ready.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1ucnv47a said:
Kasen Williams needs to get going.

I still think McEvoy sticks as the 5th.

Goodley to me is the classic flash in the pre-season guy but I don'the think he is ready.

I think it's between Lawler and McEvoy for the 5th spot. I think the top 4 are set in stone.

McGruff

Reaction score
McEvoy has a chance to play.

The 5th WR spot to me comes down to upside and special teams potential, and on both counts McEvoy exceeds the other options. Assuming he is healthy, I see him making the team.

BUT . . . I could also see him getting a generous IR designation and then IMO it would be Williams, who has experience with the team and plays specials.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I fully expected that to be Kasen at this point with his overall play that includes ST, but regardless of him lighting up camp in the first couple weeks, he's been MIA for too long now. I would think that McEvoy and all of his versatility would have that shored up now, but who knows.

LolaRox

Reaction score
All WR not named Baldwin, Lockett, Kearse, Richardson are on the bubble and none of them have stood out consistently. I wouldn't be surprised if the 5th spot goes to someone currently not on the roster.

McGruff

Reaction score
LolaRox":1fo9o1po said:
All WR not named Baldwin, Lockett, Kearse, Richardson are on the bubble and none of them have stood out consistently. I wouldn't be surprised if the 5th spot goes to someone currently not on the roster.

That is another valid possibility. Maybe Rueben Randle?

iigakusei

Reaction score
I like McEvoy because he brings something different to the table (size, athletic ability).
I think it will be between him and Kasen - either will be fine with me.

dogorama

Reaction score
It's definitely between McEvoy and Kasen w/the advantage probably to McEvoy due to Kasen's injury absence. The Kasen Williams experiment has went on for a while now, I get the sense that the coaches are ready to move on.

hardtack

Reaction score
I like McEvoy but I think he is too raw right now as a reliable receiver. He has potential, but I think he will go to the practice squad for further development...and I doubt another team would poach him.
I think it's between Kasen and Lawler. At this point, Kasen is Kearse lite and Lawler is Skansi lite. Tonights game should determine our 5TH WR.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
I just like the way Goodley catches the ball. He made a really nice grab that ended up getting reviewed to the good last Thursday, and he's catching them from Boykin who isn't exactly dropping them in there like Russ does.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
McEvoy is the guy. How many 6'6 230lb receivers are out there? Redzone anyone?

Kasen has had time but has never solidified a true spot. Lawler is downright frail and needs to be on the PS to gain strength. Goodley has been a nice camp addition but isn't essential.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Mc Evoy was the recipient of busted coverage last week. He's practice squad material unless he proves otherwise. Lawler hasn't impressed me at all. Williams has had plenty of time, and hasn't done squat with it.

Tonight is the final audition.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I would keep 6 WR's and mine would be: Baldwin, Lockett, Richardson, Kearse, Williams, & McEvoy.

Kasen Williams hasn't been on the field much this preseason, and I understand the people thinking his spot is in jeopardy because of that, but in my opinion he showed enough last year that he was already penciled in for a spot this year baring some amazing play by a few other guys. However, I don't think any of the guys vying for the last spot or two really shined this year. Maybe Goodley, maybe. Kasen offered good depth as a fill in WR when called upon last year and was MUCH more physical last year than anything I've seen out of the guys this year. He was pretty good as a gunner too on ST's which is something to consider.

McEvoy I actually hate at WR. I just feel like it's not a good fit for him, but I think the coaches were right to put him there for now as that's his best chance to earn a spot on the current roster. I like his physical tools, he's got a great size/speed combo. I also like his versatility making him a great guy to have active on game days in case of injuries. He could be an asset in ST's and that's why I'd keep him as my 6th WR for now. Hopefully you won't ever need to use your 6th WR as a regular in the offense. That guy should mostly just be a special teams player which fits McEvoy well right now.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Keeping 6 makes more sense just because of attrition. Richardson has looked dreadful on ST when I have been able to focus on him. Mc Evoy needs to play tonight somehow. Still need to see Williams make positive strides. If he is to take Lokettes old spot, tonight is put up or shut up for him.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Well crap. I guess I have to be the pessimist here.

I just haven't seen anything.

I was looking forward to seeing Foxx because of all the stories lighting up TC. But nothing in the preseason.

Then Kasen hasn't played, but other than a few plays from Goodley - not sure anyone has stepped up to show why he should be cut and they should stay.

The kid from Cal was a guy I was looking forward to seeing outperform his draft slot but he hasn't done anything.

There isn't a guy like Pope who comes in and just lights things up. (To be fair though, RB is a position where a lot more people come in and produce right away vs WR where normally a WR takes 2-3 years to suddenly shine.)

I mean they don't have to come in and light it up like Lockett in year 1, but at least separate? PRich looks like our best bet there but then again, I don't have much to work with in terms of games where you can see him contribute consistently.

Maybe McEvoy is an option for the future, but he looks like he wants to fight the ball when he catches. Really really hard to turn a guy that fights the ball into a great WR, usually the upside they turn into an inconsistent WR. So telling me the upside is Darryl Jackson isn't getting my pulse racing (or Darryl Jackson's friend who I cannot remember that was super fast but always seemed to want to party instead of play, played at NCSst in college).

hawknation2016

Reaction score
The roster spot(s) seems to be between Lawler, Williams, and McEvoy. Lawler is healthy and was drafted by the team for a reason; he has good hands but limited athleticism. Williams has been dealing with a hamstring, but is the most refined as a receiver and can play special teams. McEvoy has the highest upside, with freakish athleticism for his size, can excel on special teams and has made numerous big plays in preseason. Since receivers don't tend to get poached on the waiver wire, they're probably safe bets for the p-squad if released. I think they have liked what they have seen from Goodley, EZ, and McNeil too. There could be some hard choices for the p-squad in looking at a deep group of quality reserves.