Webb is this years Carey Williams

seabowl

Reaction score
Just like when we picked up Williams last year many on this board were again upset with the contract that was given to Webb and so far it appears he sucks too. I guess the hope is that they don't try and force Webb into playing action just based on the money he was paid. My only question is why can't we seem to sign a lineman that is actually somewhat good?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He's not starting ahead of Gilliam, and maybe not making the 53.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
So far for his size he isn't dominant, and does not control his space art he LOS.

dogorama

Reaction score
seabowl":2y7ouui5 said:
Just like when we picked up Williams last year many on this board were again upset with the contract that was given to Webb and so far it appears he sucks too. I guess the hope is that they don't try and force Webb into playing action just based on the money he was paid. My only question is why can't we seem to sign a lineman that is actually somewhat good?

Do you really think he is worse than Gilliam? Gilliam single-handedly caused the safety tonight on a mistake he has made in every single game so far.

Basis4day

Reaction score
7 million guaranteed over two years does not equal 2.45 million over two years.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Frankly yes, and I think he should get axed. There will be a RT available in FA who will be better.

McGruff

Reaction score
If we had another game, I'd put Poole out there and see what happens.

Both GI'll and Webb were turnstyleable.

kearly

Reaction score
I think some credit should go to the Raiders DL which played a terrific game.

But yeah, it was an ugly night for Webb. Ifedi and Odhiambo had some struggles. Britt and Glow looked pretty good at least.

Overall it was a rough preseason for Seattle's March signings and 2016 draft class. The two notably good players, Reed and Vannett, didn't even end the preseason healthy. It kind of says something that our best newcomer is a UDFA RB who wasn't signed until August as an emergency measure. Pope has been a stud, but who knows if he even makes it.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Webb is a decent backup to have on the roster. I would be interested to see him as the 6th linemen in the under-utilized jumbo package. I would love to see a lineup of Williams-Sowell-Glowinski-Britt-Ifedi-Gilliam-Webb with Tukuafu at FB and Michael, Rawls, or Pope at TB.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
The Hawks wildly overpaid for Williams at the top of FA two years ago (and OMG I got so much crap here for saying that before last season -- TBF I was wrong in that I thought he'd be decent enough in their scheme, I just thought they overpaid for him).

The difference with Webb is that they're basically paying him to be a below average backup, which is about what he is.

Hawks46

Reaction score
dogorama":1lrendu1 said:
seabowl":1lrendu1 said:

Do you really think he is worse than Gilliam? Gilliam single-handedly caused the safety tonight on a mistake he has made in every single game so far.

Gilliam didn't make a mistake. He blocked down on the man inside. That's what you're supposed to do as a Tackle: if you have two men coming free, you take the inside one. The one on the outside has a longer path to the QB, and pressure up the middle kills the pocket and messes most QB's up worse. The edge guy is the QB's responsibility in that situation.

You either make the guy miss (risky in the end zone) or you throw it away immediately. Peyton Manning in his prime was still a statue, but you're not getting a safety on that play on Manning. Ball is out too quickly. Same with Brady.

It's probable Boykin didn't see the pressure pre snap and that's on him as well.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Hawks46":ygt6meig said:
dogorama":ygt6meig said:
seabowl":ygt6meig said:

Gilliam didn't make a mistake. He blocked down on the man inside. That's what you're supposed to do as a Tackle: if you have two men coming free, you take the inside one. The one on the outside has a longer path to the QB, and pressure up the middle kills the pocket and messes most QB's up worse. The edge guy is the QB's responsibility in that situation.

You either make the guy miss (risky in the end zone) or you throw it away immediately. Peyton Manning in his prime was still a statue, but you're not getting a safety on that play on Manning. Ball is out too quickly. Same with Brady.

It's probable Boykin didn't see the pressure pre snap and that's on him as well.
All true points. Boykin was also going with and staring down his first read all night and, with him having whip release instead of a high, strong release, there were a lot of batted balls as well.

dogorama

Reaction score
Hawks46":1yikxqie said:
dogorama":1yikxqie said:
seabowl":1yikxqie said:

I have to watch it again but I distinctly remember Brock saying it was on Gilliam and it was OL101.

Edit: You are right, I heard it wrong, my bad.

DJrmb

Reaction score
dogorama":2d1ivlh8 said:
Hawks46":2d1ivlh8 said:
dogorama":2d1ivlh8 said:
seabowl":2d1ivlh8 said:

I have to watch it again but I distinctly remember Brock saying it was on Gilliam and it was OL101.

Edit: You are right, I heard it wrong, my bad.
I was going to mention this after re-watching to make sure I wasn't mistaken. A lot of grief coming from people on here about the offensive lines performance but there were multiple plays like this (not just this one). Oakland blitzed a lot and brought all kinds of extra pressure. I'm not trying to act like the o-line played well, it was more of a mixed bag, but there were more than a few plays where Boykin is actually responsible for beating the pressure (you can't block 7 guys with just 5 lineman). He has to learn to read pressure looks before the snap and beat it by using his hot reads or throwing the ball away.

iigakusei

Reaction score
GeekHawk":2i4ahs1z said:
Webb may be the next Carey Williams, but I'm starting to think that Cable is the next Tim Ruskell...
I don't know anything about coaching but he is always referred to as an OL guru. When do we get to see these results on the field I wonder?

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Why are we unable to draft a true tackle? Being forced to start Bradley Sowell at LT is going to come back to bite us.

James Carpenter... failed tackle that was moved inside.
Justin Britt... failed tackle that was moved inside.
Germain Ifedi... TBD but another college tackle that is playing inside.

They hit on Okung but he was a sixth overall pick. Have to find somewhere to make hay on tackles outside of the top 10 if you want to remain a perennial contender.

dogorama

Reaction score
DJrmb":sc0uc7sr said:
I was going to mention this after re-watching to make sure I wasn't mistaken. A lot of grief coming from people on here about the offensive lines performance but there were multiple plays like this (not just this one). Oakland blitzed a lot and brought all kinds of extra pressure. I'm not trying to act like the o-line played well, it was more of a mixed bag, but there were more than a few plays where Boykin is actually responsible for beating the pressure (you can't block 7 guys with just 5 lineman). He has to learn to read pressure looks before the snap and beat it by using his hot reads or throwing the ball away.

On that play at least, they didn't do Gilliam or Boykin any favors. An empty set on the goal line? You telegraph the play and then you don't provide any help.

DJrmb

Reaction score
dogorama":3bbnw7eu said:
On that play at least, they didn't do Gilliam or Boykin any favors. An empty set on the goal line? You telegraph the play and then you don't provide any help.
I agree, they certainly didn't. I remember thinking that during the game too. It seemed like every time we went empty they automatically brought extra pressure, and it worked every time just about. I understand that Bevell doesn't want to show too much in the preseason and also has certain plays he wants to see run to evaluate certain guys but damn, give the guy a chance at least.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
iigakusei":1fcw5dlm said:
GeekHawk":1fcw5dlm said:
Webb may be the next Carey Williams, but I'm starting to think that Cable is the next Tim Ruskell...

I don't know anything about coaching but he is always referred to as an OL guru. When do we get to see these results on the field I wonder?

You are.

The Hawks have a really good offense despite having an O-line that's been construced out of dirt clods and bobby pins.

They've also been stealing from their O-line every year for the last few years to pay for other positions. Is there a cheaper starting five in the NFL this year? I can't imagine anyone else is anywhere close.

Cable keeps dragging up a complete and total sh!t show into slightly less than mediocrity. He's as important to the Hawks as anyone.

Edit: Just checked. The Seahawks are spending 9.7 million on their O-line this year. They're last in the league. The Giants are second to last in the league and are spending 15.5 million.

Put another way, the Seahawks would have to spend 58% more on their O-line to reach the second most stingy spender. :lol: