Jordan Hill Hurt Again

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Tweaked his hamstring tonight.

Really is mr glass :( how can you rely on someone if they cant stay healthy.

kearly

Reaction score
You might want to update the title to reflect this news so as to stave off the inevitable double post.

This makes for an interesting decision for Seattle. Hill wasn't exactly lighting the preseason up and was really only a lock for the roster due to a lack of quality depth and competition at the back end. It might make more sense to cut him with a settlement, and then sign the best DT cut by one of the other 31 teams. Or try to do a last minute trade before cuts, ala Clinton McDonald.

Seafan

Reaction score
kearly":15jfpx03 said:
You might want to update the title to reflect this news so as to stave off the inevitable double post.

This makes for an interesting decision for Seattle. Hill wasn't exactly lighting the preseason up and was really only a lock for the roster due to a lack of quality depth and competition at the back end. It might make more sense to cut him with a settlement, and then sign the best DT cut by one of the other 31 teams. Or try to do a last minute trade before cuts, ala Clinton McDonald.

I agree. Trade Simon for the next McDonald.

Fade

Reaction score
Seafan":xobci3jr said:
kearly":xobci3jr said:

I agree. Trade Simon for the next McDonald.
Content2Fuploads2F20122F042FMagneto perfection

Rob12

Reaction score
It's sad, players can't help getting hurt, but you're useless if you get injured every time you step on the field. I really think it's time that Hill no longer takes a 53 man roster spot.

OP
OP
G

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Rob12":3otznctd said:
It's sad, players can't help getting hurt, but you're useless if you get injured every time you step on the field. I really think it's time that Hill no longer takes a 53 man roster spot.

Feel the same way about Kasen Williams. Guy should be our 5th receiver talent wise but couldn't stay healthy here and at UW

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Now the Sealver Siliga option being recalled from IR starts to make sense.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Of course he's hurt again, he's always hurt.

kearly

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2276ln0z said:

I don't think it makes much sense. They'll have to pay him $1 million without him ever playing a down by having him on IR. If they cut him and settled, they'd pay less money and still would probably get him back when healthy. And they'd save their lone IR-return as well.

Meanwhile, JS is risking calamity at LS to save roughly ~$200k.

IR-ing Siliga and then using the designate to return on him only really makes sense if you believe Siliga is a starter caliber player and you don't want to risk losing him. I don't think he is, but maybe the front office does.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Well it sure makes no sense placing him on IR b/c he is only under contract for this season and his injury was a NFI even though he was taken off the NFI list before the Dallas game. If he'd been cut the team owed him zero. I think the IR designation was a hedge agains the inevitable injury of Hill.

The only sense to be made of the IR designation is that the team wants to potentially recall him so they are willing to pay him.

The LS arguments are for another thread but there I don't disagree but the comments in that thread are pretty fullsome.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
If you put him on IR, you can let him go with a short injury settlement and then perhaps re-sign him down the road as needed. I believe you can re-sign him later if the injury settlement is short enough. If the injury really isn't serious, they will probably keep him for now.

For what is is worth (little?), PFF gave Jordan Hill a really high grade for the plays he made before getting banged up.

NewJerseyHawk

Reaction score
I am not a fan of Hill or Simon making the roster, but stranger things have happened for players that are suddenly playing in the last year of their contract. As much as I doubted the ability of Christine Micheal, I just don't have as much confidence in Hill or Simon.

I think Hill is in a situation where he has never been asked to play too many snaps and has always likely prepared as a rotational player. Sometimes the only way to really know, is to play him as many snaps like Pete did last night.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2016":2vyjd8j1 said:
If you put him on IR, you can let him go with a short injury settlement and then perhaps re-sign him down the road as needed. I believe you can re-sign him later if the injury settlement is short enough. If the injury really isn't serious, they will probably keep him for now.

For what is is worth (little?), PFF gave Jordan Hill a really high grade for the plays he made before getting banged up.

The rule about recalling players from IR now doesn't require the player be designated for return when they are placed on IR so an injury settlement wouldn't need to be made, he could just be recalled from IR when he's healthy.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
jammerhawk":12ae20e7 said:
hawknation2016":12ae20e7 said:

The rule about recalling players from IR now doesn't require the player be designated for return when they are placed on IR so an injury settlement wouldn't need to be made, he could just be recalled from IR when he's healthy.

I'm not talking about recalling him from IR. I'm talking about hypothetically releasing him from IR with a short-term injury settlement and then re-signing him at the pro-rated rate after the injury settlement expires. Players a team want off of IR, i.e. those in the final year of their contracts, typically agree to an injury settlement. Anyway, Hill is probably too valuable as an interior pass rusher and his injury too minor to go on IR.