Linebackers last night

Polk738

Reaction score
Just wondering on your guys's thoughts on the linebacker play last night, a couple quick notes from me, in particularly Brock Coyle who looked pretty good last night, I liked how he seemed to be in on almost every play. KPL just continues to whiff on tackles which I just can't understand as the guy is so athletic but last night he had the perfect opportunity for a TFL but completely misses. I don't remember if Pinkins made any plays last night.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Pinkins made a TD saving tackle on one of the last drives when the QB rolled out to his right and had a clear lane to the goaline (other than Pinkins flying in from center field) but other than that I didn't see him much. Palacio looked really good I thought and showed he can play both inside and outside LB.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Given the LB weakness, you almost have to pick up Palacio.

Kind of iffy on whether he can play SAM at that weight and he doesn't look super speedy for Will but he just makes plays.

We are almost as thin at LB as we are at corner.

I swear I remember that guy making some splash plays in college too, but I am not what you would call a WSU fan so I did not get to see many games.

Laloosh

Reaction score
DJrmb":2t5301vo said:
Palacio looked really good I thought and showed he can play both inside and outside LB.

He really did.

KPL's mistakes were pretty hard to miss.

stack600

Reaction score
I haven't a clue on who the backups should be. no matter what the drop off talent wise from Bobby, KJ, Morgan, Marsh and Clark is pretty significant ....Coyle and KPL are the incumbents but we need depth Longa, Pinkins maybe, their ST play will be the determining factor. Plus Marsh and Clark are better DE Leo Positions . going to be interesting .... :stirthepot:

gowazzu02

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":mleik94n said:

Kind of iffy on whether he can play SAM at that weight and he doesn't look super speedy for Will but he just makes plays.

I swear I remember that guy making some splash plays in college too, but I am not what you would call a WSU fan so I did not get to see many games.

Kache stepped up big time last year (sr year, with the new D coordinator) He splashed during his younger years, but really was a big part of WSU trimming over 10 points per game off it's average from the previous year. He got to be consistant which I think you'd expect from a SR.

I didn't think he'd make the hawks, but he has balled out for sure. I think the question is are the hawks comfy with him on ST???

Either way I def think Kache has earned a spot on the practice squad, which is really cool for a udfa.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Palacio is a 4.7 to guy, but so is KJ Wright. I'd also say that Palacio is quicker so I don't think that WLB is out of the question. Sure, you want your WLB running a 4.5 or better, but it's not a necessity when guys are in the right place and have good balls skills.

You kind of have to consider him with KPL continually misjudging ball carriers in the open field with either not getting there or overrunning. You really want KPL to be the guy, but I'm no longer certain that he makes the team.

kearly

Reaction score
Palacio was one of the bigger contributors last night. I don't know if he makes the roster but he'll at least make the front office consider him seriously for a PS spot.

Pierre-Louis had an improved game compared to how he'd done in the weeks before, though he still got picked on in coverage and still has to work on his angles a bit.

Coyle was one of our most effective defenders this preseason. Very active. Of course, Coyle is kind of in that Nick Reed category of guys who look amazing at a lower level but disappear at the highest level. So it's hard to feel too much excitement about Coyle's excellent preseason performances.

Cassius Marsh played a lot of DE and pretty much looked the same way he's always looked. He's good on specials, so I'm guessing he'll stay.

dogorama

Reaction score
Laloosh":2mr0pq5e said:
DJrmb":2mr0pq5e said:
Palacio looked really good I thought and showed he can play both inside and outside LB.

He really did.

KPL's mistakes were pretty hard to miss.

The contrast between Palacio and KPL was night and day. To tell you the truth, I was kinda shocked. I was like, where they been keeping him?

Mr.Crayola

Reaction score
I was impressed by Pinkins last night. I think I saw 47 rushing the QB to cause the quick throw that gave us the pick six, and he kept the Raiders out of the end zone in a one-on-on situation (granted it was a QB). I would really like him to be our backup WLB.

Palacio seemed to be everywhere this game! He seems more athletic than his proday numbers suggest, and I wonder if he suffered from poor training. It costs a lot to get in NFL shape and combine players spend around $375 a week at minimum at the premier locations, not to mention the loss of work from a month of just working out. I will be happy if he makes the team, but I could understand keeping Coyle over Palacio.

Unfortunately I think KPL is gonna need to keep his phone on this weekend. I would keep him over Coyle, but there is a reason I am not paid to make football decisions.

Mike Morgan seems slow and vulnerable in our base defense. I think we run with him for a couple weeks and then look for other options. Zach Whitman, of 3sigmaathlete.com , suggested McCray working his way into the starting 11 and that idea certainly interests me (maybe Chancellor moves down and McCray takes the SS spot in a big nickel look).

Does anyone have a lb on another team that caught their eye? I haven't watched much other preseason football, it just seems like we could look for other options on the waiver wire or make a trade for some depth.

xgeoff

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2syqn5iv said:

I really liked Palacio. He's flying all over the place and I'm like 'who is that guy?'. Really hope we keep this kid!