Hawks sign new long snapper

OP
OP
Seafan

Seafan

Reaction score
They want to improve the position. Have to wait until players become available to get a look.

ivotuk

Reaction score
What the hell did Clint Gresham do to piss Pete off? Maybe some kind of locker room snafu?

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Extrapolating Pete's comments, it seems they are looking for a long snapper who is a better athlete than Clint Gresham (and perhaps at a lower salary). Tyler Ott is a really good athlete (played TE at Harvard) who may have a better ability to make tackles with the punt team. He snapped for the Giants last season.

NFL rules protect the long snapper on punts by prohibiting defenders from lining up inside the snapper’s shoulder pads. This gives the athletic long snapper free reign to get downfield faster without having to circumvent a blocker.

Despite the shoulder injury, Nolan Frese made more tackles in the preseason than Gresham had in his entire Seahawks career. Hopefully, Ott provides steady long snapping -- and health -- as well as athleticism and tackling ability.

kf3339

Reaction score
So they want an athlete at the long snapper position. So here I thought the role of a long snapper was to you know

" Accurately Snap the Ball"!

Wow, I didn't realize how dumb that statement makes me!

Sorry PC and JS.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
I think its just about $$$$. Even if they re-signed Gresham to vet minimum, it would still be $885,000. I think Gresham just hit the 7-9 year bracket for league minimum money.

I don't think they're about to do that. Does this Ott guy even have 1 full season yet accumulated? Cheap. Save 400,000 or so...

Personally I think spending an extra 400K is worth it, but whatever.

kearly

Reaction score
hawknation2016":3tje4z4z said:
Extrapolating Pete's comments, it seems they are looking for a long snapper who is a better athlete than Clint Gresham (and perhaps at a lower salary). Tyler Ott is a really good athlete (played TE at Harvard) who may have a better ability to make tackles with the punt team. He snapped for the Giants last season.

NFL rules protect the long snapper on punts by prohibiting defenders from lining up inside the snapper’s shoulder pads. This gives the athletic long snapper free reign to get downfield faster without having to circumvent a blocker.

Despite the shoulder injury, Nolan Frese made more tackles in the preseason than Gresham had in his entire Seahawks career. Hopefully, Ott provides steady long snapping -- and health -- as well as athleticism and tackling ability.

Good stuff. I learned something today.

Hawks46

Reaction score
hawknation2016":w6zp9mqt said:

Spot on. Pete said something like Frese's 5 ST tackles in 2 games was pretty incredible from the LS position.

So for craps and giggles, I watched the LS on a punt fest of a 4th preseason game. And I'll be damned if I saw Frese down on nearly every tackle. He was either making the returner fair catch it, making him make an immediate cut, or getting in on the tackle.

He was right there with the gunners and fastest guys getting tackles.

nategreat

Reaction score
Hawks46":129ziog5 said:
Spot on. Pete said something like Frese's 5 ST tackles in 2 games was pretty incredible from the LS position.

So for craps and giggles, I watched the LS on a punt fest of a 4th preseason game. And I'll be damned if I saw Frese down on nearly every tackle. He was either making the returner fair catch it, making him make an immediate cut, or getting in on the tackle.

He was right there with the gunners and fastest guys getting tackles.

If that's the case, then that's huge. Yeah, some of us are concerned with the long-snapping, and Gresham was good at it. I feel bad that he's no longer on the team, but once we do get a longsnapper that is more of an athlete, and contributes in other ways, then that is huge. It might potentially be the difference between keeping another lineman or skilled position instead of keeping someone who's only true contribution would be special teams, ie: Ricardo Lockette.

So in theory, I think it's the right move. Plus it saves us a LITTLE bit of money. I wish we brought in Gresham again, because he was a good long-snapper. But when it comes down to it, it's just longsnapping (and I don't mean that lightly, it is a crucial position, I understand that). We'll be just fine.

DJrmb

Reaction score
hawknation2016":8sz4kkbd said:

Great post. I had heard this from Pete earlier but was struggling on how to explain it here. You did it perfectly I think.

Pete sees something he can exploit to give the team an advantage. This is what he always does, he's one of the true innovators in the NFL today and this LS thing is another attempt to do just that. Have any of you noticed how Ryan's been booming punts deep all pre-season? That's a direct result of this experiment with a more athletic long-snapper. With the current rules protecting the LS he basically gets a free lane directly to the punt returner.

ivotuk

Reaction score
hawknation2016":t6v2xk55 said:

IIRC, he was active for one game with the Giants. So I'm not sure he has any real game experience.

godawg

Reaction score
Although Gresham was money for us for years, I seem to remember a blown snap on a punt during the playoffs last year that cost us dearly. I wonder if it factored into this decision.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
Seems like the signing of Ott didn't actually happen - at least according to Ott

[tweet]https://twitter.com/tylerott82/status/772121920451903488[/tweet]