Seahawks have 7th youngest roster

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
hawknation2016":23g9d1fg said:
http://www.phillyvoice.com/ranking-nfl-teams-age-after-53-man-cutdowns-2016-edition/

Pre-training camp, they actually had the youngest. The Seahawks' average age on the 53-man roster (25.6) is younger than in 2012, 2014, or 2015.
Unbelievable and we have our core locked up? Yeah, know you start to understand the shock of many on this site about the cuts of fringe players that had no damn business on this roster Preseason is stupid and should be shortened to either 1 game, 2 games maximum. Play 18 or 20 actual games with 2 bye weeks and screw preseason already. Also have 3 wildcard teams per conference at minimum preferably 4 so nobody gets a bye like any legitimate sport. So tired of an actual good team getting screwed over by some 7-9 division winner. That includes Seattle.

More actual games means more money for the actual players not the preseason wonders so many are enamored with. Seriously, the CFL does 20 actual games and 1 preseason game with 2 bye weeks. So get this done already.

kearly

Reaction score
Most of the starters are in their mid-to-late 20s, their physical primes. We don't have very many players over age 30 which helps. A lot of this ranking comes from our depth, which is very young and, IMO, not all that great.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3oicgqpt said:
So tired of an actual good team getting screwed over by some 7-9 division winner. That includes Seattle.

Actual good teams beat those 7-9 division winners.

Seafan

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1xj7zbdo said:
MizzouHawkGal":1xj7zbdo said:
So tired of an actual good team getting screwed over by some 7-9 division winner. That includes Seattle.

I agree but what she meant was an 11-5 team not making the playoffs when a 7-9 division winner does.

dogorama

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2gt5ducf said:
hawknation2016":2gt5ducf said:
http://www.phillyvoice.com/ranking-nfl-teams-age-after-53-man-cutdowns-2016-edition/

Pre-training camp, they actually had the youngest. The Seahawks' average age on the 53-man roster (25.6) is younger than in 2012, 2014, or 2015.
Unbelievable and we have our core locked up? Yeah, know you start to understand the shock of many on this site about the cuts of fringe players that had no damn business on this roster Preseason is stupid and should be shortened to either 1 game, 2 games maximum. Play 18 or 20 actual games with 2 bye weeks and screw preseason already. Also have 3 wildcard teams per conference at minimum preferably 4 so nobody gets a bye like any legitimate sport. So tired of an actual good team getting screwed over by some 7-9 division winner. That includes Seattle.

More actual games means more money for the actual players not the preseason wonders so many are enamored with. Seriously, the CFL does 20 actual games and 1 preseason game with 2 bye weeks. So get this done already.

Okay, okay, you're so demanding! Seriously though, football is a physically debilitating sport; the season is long and hard, it should count for something.

There should be a rule that you must be a winning team or you don't go to the playoffs. What if there are not enough winning teams for the playoffs? Then you go to the next best team BUT they don't get HFA just by virtue of winning their conf.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Seafan":1mb599sf said:
Maelstrom787":1mb599sf said:
MizzouHawkGal":1mb599sf said:

I agree but what she meant was an 11-5 team not making the playoffs when a 7-9 division winner does.

Ah, misinterpreted that one badly, lol. Either way, I don't have as big a problem with that as many do. I suppose some teams do get screwed over, but I think every division should be represented. Even in the era of "NFC Worst" or similar divisions. It gives incentive to even bad division races - and it isn't like a 7-9 team is always awful. Seattle came in and produced one of the best games to watch in recent years.

I actually like the current system. I think it should be difficult to make the playoffs if you lose your division, and it is.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
kearly":1t44ldcl said:
Most of the starters are in their mid-to-late 20s, their physical primes. We don't have very many players over age 30 which helps. A lot of this ranking comes from our depth, which is very young and, IMO, not all that great.....

......yet! :roll:

OP
OP
H

hawknation2016

Reaction score
There are a few things that excite me about this relatively young roster. At the most important position, Russell Wilson could be in his prime for the next 6+ years as he emerges as a consensus Top 3 QB. Thomas Rawls turned 23 years old just last month. Tyler Lockett is also 23. That's an exciting, young offensive triplet that could form the cornerstone of the offense for the next several seasons. I would argue that no one in this offensive triplet has fully reached his prime yet.

The oldest starters on the team are just 30 years old. Bennett doesn't look like he's slowing down at all yet, relying more on instincts and technique than speed. I personally think Avril is about to have the best season of his career. If Rubin slows down, then you have some young guns eager to take his spot. Like Russell Wilson, Bobby Wagner is just 26 and a Pro Bowler. Burgeoning playmaker Frank Clark is only 23. Trade acquisition Dewey McDonald looks like the next Kelcie McCray. The L.O.B. is young enough to remain great for at least the next three years. It's not hard to see the NFL's #1 scoring defense of the last four years continuing to roll with Pete Carroll as HC.

The team took a huge gamble in blowing up the offensive line and leaning heavily on low-priced free agents and developing young draft prospects. So far, the gamble appears to have paid off. The average age of this year's new-look starting offensive line is just 24.6 years old. The young interior corps of Britt, Glowinski, and Ifedi -- made up from three picks in the last three draft classes -- look like potential cornerstone linemen from which to continue to build. The line has looked better to my eyes than it has at any time since the 2012 season.

Including first rounder Ifedi, an incredible 15 rookies made the Seahawks roster this season. That is more than double the six rookies who made the team out of camp last season. Rookies Quinton Jefferson and Jarran Reed look like the starting DTs of the near future. Technician Joey Hunt beat out established veteran Patrick Lewis for the backup center position. George Fant flashed intriguing athleticism at the critical LT position. Rees Odhiambo showed good versatility as a backup. Collins and Procise have the potential to develop into the Seahawks' version of thunder and lightning. Trevone Boykin seized control of the backup QB spot while doing his best Russell Wilson impression. Other undrafted rookies like Tanner McEvoy, Deandre Elliott, and Tyvis Powell lit up the preseason with electrifying plays.

If you don't think any of these additions to the team's depth are all that great, then you really can't claim "I told you so" when one or more of them have a breakout year. Just sayin'. :2thumbs:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":23e0mf2z said:
hawknation2016":23e0mf2z said:

The only part of this I think is correct is that preseason is stupid. However, I think it's a necessary evil. I'd pare it back to 3 games and allow teams to make their final cuts after that. Also think active rosters should be expanded to 60 guys.

When you start talking expansion of schedule and playoffs though.. no thanks. An "actual good team" won't be screwed over if they take care of business.