Guard against the Slow Start

gowazzu02

Reaction score
The last two years this team has started the season slow "can you win in the first quarter..."" and all that.

But it's imperative we get the 1 seed and HFA. What's different this year then the last two that we wont be sitting here a month from now saying, really again???

Largent80

Reaction score
Get ready for it. We have all the same coaches and same system in place.

The playoff game vs. Car. had me hiking my 3 1/2 acres in the first quarter. I hiked all of it by the halftime.

This isn't going to change. We can hope for it.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Largent80":38ne2527 said:
Get ready for it. We have all the same coaches and same system in place.
And that's a very good thing.

RobDaHawk

Reaction score
I think it will be different than what we've seen in the past because of two things.

1: Where we left off last year with the quick passes and an equal % of run to pass ratio. Before last year I believe we were about 60% run 40% pass. Whereas at the end of last season we were extremely balanced.

2: The personnel that we now have on offense with regards to our wide-receivers and tight ends makes me feel like it will be different. Along with the wide-outs, the retirement of Lynch combined with our current set of RB's makes me think that we will have that more balanced approach seeing as though our entire offense doesn't hinge on him.

So with a higher percentage of plays coming through the air combined with change in a few core group of players, I think our offense will seem changed more this season than anything we've seen up until this point during the PC/JS era.

kearly

Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder if Pete likes playing from behind. His first half game plans are seemingly made to set up the 2nd half, even at the expense of trailing.

RobDaHawk

Reaction score
kearly":7e6dm42k said:
Sometimes I wonder if Pete likes playing from behind. His first half game plans are seemingly made to set up the 2nd half, even at the expense of trailing.

Bevell........... :stirthepot:

Laloosh

Reaction score
kearly":nilqyo2k said:

If I had to guess, I'd say that Pete would like a 2013 start a lot more than a 2015 start. Sometimes I wonder if he's so locked into playing his way, that he allows games to get away from them unnecessarily. Maybe he sees it as a trade off / investment in getting guys to have the right mindset. Maybe it's just being stubborn but I don't think he goes looking for deficits.

Largent80

Reaction score
I think Direct TV should re-imburse Hawk fans for the first half of games for Sunday Ticket...It's robbery.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Pete only cares about competing and maximizing your potential. If you've played to the best of your ability and still lose, well that's life. If you lose because you didn't go all out, that's not competing.

Fade

Reaction score
kearly":2rtiqqcg said:
There is a philosophical approach that needs tweaking for sure. When Seattle knows they are playing a really good offensive team, they try and play offense for 4 quarters. When they play an okay / good team. 2.5 quarters.

The real major component/problem is they are obsessed with getting the run game going first, putting points on the scoreboard be damned, and it takes until the 2nd half when those 2 & 3 yard runs begin turning into 5 & 6 yard runs.

I say put the ball more in RW's hands the first 2 series, and he can check to runs when it's advantageous. Get the lead, then lean on them with the run game. It would lead to getting more turnovers too on D, because when teams are trailing they become 1 dimensional, and take more risks. = Blowout.

I'm really curious if Pete will take this approach in game 1, rather than waiting until game 10. I'm not holding my breath, but I think there is chance it might happen with the ascension of the QB, and wanting to pick up where they left off last season.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
I think it takes Wilson a couple quarter to wake up. Our worst offensive performances have come in games where we have abandoned the run early and gone pass, pass/run, pass, punt.

Fade

Reaction score
hawknation2016":32ivgeof said:
I think it takes Wilson a couple quarter to wake up. Our worst offensive performances have come in games where we have abandoned the run early and gone pass, pass/run, pass, punt.

Nope, your confusing the worst performances when the team got put in 2nd & 3rd and long. Then would call long developing pass plays with an incapable O-Line. --> The 1st half of last season. Wilson was sacked 30 something times.

The 2nd half of the season they featured a quick passing attack out of spread formations, and RW as the centerpiece. They would get the lead, and then lean on teams with their run game. Wilson was sacked 10 something times.

There was a philosophical change. I am hoping it starts week 1. Not waiting until week 10.

sutz

Reaction score
We'll probably have a much better start than last year.

1. No Kam holdout distraction.

2. Schedule. Open at home (very rare because baseball schedule comes out first). 2 of first 3 and 3 of first 5 at home.

I'm not really worried. It's not so much about players or coaches or schemes and more about schedule.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'm with Sutz here I think we come out of the gates much better than last year. I have a feeling this team is fired up to start hot and not make the same mistakes that were made last year and like Sutz said Kam is back which helps.