Brock Huard's Chalk Talk

Laloosh

Reaction score
Saw this while browsing fieldgulls this morning...

[youtube]RsARRY2_9W8[/youtube]

Are those passing stats mentioned, out of empty? I didn't hear him clarify but that's what I took from it. That's pretty phenomenal.

We've had the discussion on this formation several times. Curious how people are feeling about it now as it's been a point of debate in the past.

McGruff

Reaction score
Yep, those are the stats out of Empty. Low risk (75% completion) with high reward (10+ yards per play).

That also point to a lot of single back sets, as those transition best in motion to Empty.

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
McGruff":qdd93490 said:
Yep, those are the stats out of Empty. Low risk (75% completion) with high reward (10+ yards per play).

That also point to a lot of single back sets, as those transition best in motion to Empty.

I'm imagining Graham and Prosise would allow us to give that 3WR, 1 TE, single back look. Line Graham up as a WR, motion Prosise out wide and now you've got 5 legitimate receiving threats against what, Nickel personnel?

:stirthepot:

dogorama

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this, great Chalk Talk today, I particularly like about how he talks about how it fits our skill set and the strength of the line. It isn't w/o its consequences though and I would like to see a stat on how many sacks were given up with this set.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Laloosh":1e0la60f said:
McGruff":1e0la60f said:

I'm imagining Graham and Prosise would allow us to give that 3WR, 1 TE, single back look. Line Graham up as a WR, motion Prosise out wide and now you've got 5 legitimate receiving threats against what, Nickel personnel?

I think its the main motivation for getting prosise which people missed when calling for him to be cut and keeping Pope instead. Prosise is going to make empty or motioned out set even more dangerous. Expect a lot of it this year.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
austinslater25":2xqq2kj0 said:
Laloosh":2xqq2kj0 said:
McGruff":2xqq2kj0 said:

I think its the main motivation for getting prosise which people missed when calling for him to be cut and keeping Pope instead. Prosise is going to make empty or motioned out set even more dangerous. Expect a lot of it this year.

So Read Option Play Action Bubble Screen On 3.

HawkGA

Reaction score
No play action. We want to straight up run a bubble screen and *dare* the defense to stop it.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I love these but I wish instead of having just the chalkboard, they could work in video too so we could see the play move.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
austinslater25":38abvrcj said:
Laloosh":38abvrcj said:
McGruff":38abvrcj said:

I saw more people, myself included, looking to keep pope and have collins released. Prosise is, atleast for me, a relative unknown quantity still. I saw enough of collins to no be impressed. Collins had a few good runs, but couldn't close the deal on 3rd and short. A lot of that came down to holes and lanes closing, but a 3rd down back needs to be a powerful force that can plow, not just run and cut. Of course Collins can always improve, but the preseason games showed his weaknesses.

Prosise is a different weapon as he is a receiving threat as well. He is a graham type player that fits well in certain plays to spread out defenses. Running 4 recieving threats with lockette and richardson speeding 5 yards or so up the sideline drawing the safety and baldwin in the slot, prosise will have an opportunity to gain some yards on late releasing short routes. I can see him blocking for 2 to 3 seconds, then releasing outside in the open zone. We made some great yardage with lynch doing this. We will know by game 7 if prosise is working, and if the Collins/pope decision was a good one. By then hopefully Rawls will be back full force, and the coaches will have had a couple months to work with collins to get a wider base and drive through contact. If he is going to be the 3rd down back, he needs to improve his skillset to fill that role.

C-mike will probably sign a bigger contract somewhere else next year, but I think the FO has him just to back up rawls until he is 100%. We will then have a LYnch/Turbin setup in Rawls/Collins, and Prosise as a specialized weapon that can also hopefully take some of the meat and potatoes RB snaps here and there.

McGruff

Reaction score
HawkGA":2ca330s9 said:
I love these but I wish instead of having just the chalkboard, they could work in video too so we could see the play move.

I imagine there are NFL royalties to be paid which they are avoiding for showing replays.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
For all the hand-wringing over going empty-set when Marshawn Lynch was on the team, it worked more often than we gave Bevell credit for. I agree with Brock that a big highlight of empty set is more one-on-one matchups; that's vintage Pete. Get the receivers into individual matchups and let them win.

If I'm a DC playing the Seahawks, I still blitz Wilson brazenly and without concern out of single back sets. He and Bevell are still hit-and-miss with that stuff. But they're getting better. If Wilson continues his progress and punishes blitzes, we'll see less of them.

A

Anonymous

Keep in mind, the RB stays in the backfield initially on that set, until such time as Russell barks him into motion, and the "Empty" happens.

The back will stay put to block if Russ sees a certain blitz alignment assemble, and that is the thing Brock highlights as what Cable said in his interview. Russell can identify the need to clear the RB out, and the direction he heads, pre-snap. That is the beauty of that formation. Depending on the rushers he sees and how they are positioning determines probably 6 or 7 variations which Russ can dial up to counter with audibles. I'm going to look for video on it, but that roll-out right variant with a throw across left to the RB wheel route is deadly. Love that play.

We're gonna smoke the fish. It is known.

Hawks46

Reaction score
McGruff":ki68nuww said:

I'm thinking that's why Pete and John were so hyped about Prosise. He's just good enough to keep defenses honest in between the Tackles, yet he's a mismatch on most LBers. It also makes it almost impossible to double Graham in this situation.

HawkGA

Reaction score
McGruff":3jhgdc2r said:
HawkGA":3jhgdc2r said:

I imagine there are NFL royalties to be paid which they are avoiding for showing replays.

Oh definitely. I think there is usually a link to the play provided at the 710 website and I recall at least some of those videos having been recorded from a webcam of somebody's TV.

Threedee

Reaction score
HawkGA":3nr19wt7 said:

The chalkboard was good enough for Vince, dammit!

hawknation2016

Reaction score
The problem with going empty too much is the risk of pressures, sacks, turnovers, damaging offensive line's cohesiveness, etc. Defenses are always keying on our powerful run game, and that makes things more challenging when you have another running threat there in addition to teeing off on Russell.

penihawk

Reaction score
We saw the results the 2nd half of the season last year. I'm praying for a healthy JG and the 3 bigs inside to make this even harder to defend. A big atta boy to Brock, I think he does an outstanding job as a broadcaster. :2thumbs:

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Our online makes getting rid of the ball quickly an imperative from the empty set. For the most part the receiving corps we have had available has not been able to gain seperation quickly enough. Lockett can do this as can Jimmy when healthy. Who else can beat coverage? I agree that CJ could be the key.