Long snapper situation

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Counted at least 3 bad snaps today that Jon Ryan saved our bacon on.

How long do John and Pete give it before making a change? I don't think its an overreaction as nothing in preseason or this game has swayed my opinion.

If we can't afford Gresham then someone else given long snappers are 10 a penny. Feel special teams errors always cost us against the rams and a bad snap could cost us next week

Also how much blocking does a ls do? Feel like Jon Ryan is getting punts off by the skin of his teeth this year.

kearly

Reaction score
Not sure how much blame the long snapper deserves, but I did notice that Miami came extremely close to blocking several punts and they forced a missed PAT as well. It's an area of concern no question.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I don't understand this. We almost lost Jon Ryan to a bad snap in preseason. Did Gresham do something to piss the team off?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Good thing AZ saved money on their long snapper. Cost them a loss in their home opener.

That could have been us.

Wonder if Pete is still adamant about keeping a rookie long snapper?

kf3339

Reaction score
The long snapper situation is going to cost us a game this year. Just like it did tonight for Arizona. Hate to say it, but just wait and see.

PC is just too damn stubborn to admit he's wrong.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
kearly":3w2q18sz said:
Not sure how much blame the long snapper deserves, but I did notice that Miami came extremely close to blocking several punts and they forced a missed PAT as well. It's an area of concern no question.

Even if he blocks fine his high snaps give rushers an extra moment to get to the ball. Getting a punt off comes down to half-seconds.

kf3339

Reaction score
ivotuk":2bccpcsf said:
I don't understand this. We almost lost Jon Ryan to a bad snap in preseason. Did Gresham do something to piss the team off?

Yes, he asked to be paid a veterans minimum salary for the position. :sarcasm_on: That bastard. :sarcasm_off:

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":3pjznzey said:
kearly":3pjznzey said:

Even if he blocks fine his high snaps give rushers an extra moment to get to the ball. Getting a punt off comes down to half-seconds.

Even less than that! I'd estimate down to .2 seconds!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1r0nznaa said:
It's not worth the 800K in savings to go with a inconsistent long snapper. We're obviously not blowing teams out very often this year, so we need every score we can get and the best field position that we can get.
It's probably less than that. I'd call up Clint and try to negotiate.

Veilside

Reaction score
ivotuk":3hry9f12 said:
Good thing AZ saved money on their long snapper. Cost them a loss in their home opener.

That could have been us.

Wonder if Pete is still adamant about keeping a rookie long snapper?

My guess is that once he feels the benefit of having an extra athlete on the field no longer makes up for snapping mistakes is when he'll try and get Gresham back.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Not worth it?

They pay certain players millions per year because they project an extra # of wins with them on roster.

AZ lost a game specifically because they went cheap. Think they would redo the opportunity at the cost of $600K?

Penny wise and pound foolish.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
kearly":174h9nkk said:

I listened to the game on Westwood 1 broadcast, and those guys were going nuts about the long snapper.

Hawks46

Reaction score
kearly":3dbj55ch said:

That missed PAT was partially blocked. That's on blocking, and as you can't rush through the A gaps against the snapper, that wasn't on him. On one of those punts Miami came close on, the snap was perfect, hitting Ryan right in the belt area.

Not that I paid attention, but I didn't notice anything too egregious there. Typically the announcers will call out bad snaps, and I didn't hear one mention.

TatupuIsRRRR

Reaction score

Yeah not on LS they can't hit him. The LS only snap ball then try tackle. Although tine taken to get bad snap adds to the pressures. I love PCJS, but holy crap it's not rockets science. Glad AZ lost and hope we learned from their bad.

Largent80

Reaction score
TatupuIsRRRR":2mmmb8a9 said:

Yeah not on LS they can't hit him. The LS only snap ball then try tackle. Although tine taken to get bad snap adds to the pressures. I love PCJS, but holy crap it's not rockets science. Glad AZ lost and hope we learned from their bad.

It's has loss.

kearly

Reaction score
Hawks46":2aumjg62 said:
kearly":2aumjg62 said:

That missed PAT was partially blocked. That's on blocking, and as you can't rush through the A gaps against the snapper, that wasn't on him. On one of those punts Miami came close on, the snap was perfect, hitting Ryan right in the belt area.

Not that I paid attention, but I didn't notice anything too egregious there. Typically the announcers will call out bad snaps, and I didn't hear one mention.

I watched it again and the snap was just fine on the PAT.

There were some high snaps on punts. It was enough to slow Ryan down a tick, and several of his kicks barely got off. As the PAT showed, Seattle's ST was having some trouble making blocks, so it's possible they were having issues on punt blocking as well.

kearly

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3jksbxnh said:
It's not worth the 800K in savings to go with a inconsistent long snapper. We're obviously not blowing teams out very often this year, so we need every score we can get and the best field position that we can get.

The way Fieldgulls explained it, the savings difference is $295k. The way others have explained it, the difference is closer to $200k.

Supposedly Pete Carroll wants a long snapper who can move better than Gresham could down field to take advantage of the free release.