Remember week 1 of 2013?

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
On the road in Carolina. Another defensive game that had a lot of negatives, but ended in a Hawks victory with a similar score to today's game. And they ended up winning it all that year. I honestly thought Miami was going to come in and stun the hawks, winning by a TD. Glad I was wrong. But for anyone who is thinking about the negatives from today's game, just look back to the Carolina game. It's a long season. The Hawks are currently 1-0 in first place in the NFC West, and the defense looks filthy...for the most part. So just relax. We've seen a near replica of this game, and it turned out to be a great season. Just look forward to next week

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
I'm still positive, i think it's mainly about the injury to Wilson that concerns most folks. We still won a Superbowl with Wilson and a bum shoulder. The offense in the 2nd half of last year needs to get back, it's like they wanted to see what would happen if they went back to the first half of last year, hopefully that answered it.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Are you comparing a dumpsterfire of a Miami team to Carolina, that went to the SB a few years later?

I get trying to put positive spin on this, but the positives will be the following, if we get them all:

1 - We get the win

2 - Russel ends up being OK

3 - We learn from this and stop pretending that the 1st half is not important.

There is no other positive in beating a team at home we should have beaten handily, but we still only beat because we made less mistakes than they did (of which we made many).

It was a disaster but for the scoreboard, so hopefully they learn from it and never repeat those mistakes.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":frduyq98 said:
TwistedHusky":frduyq98 said:
Are you comparing a dumpsterfire of a Miami team to Carolina, that went to the SB a few years later?

I get trying to put positive spin on this, but the positives will be the following, if we get them all:

1 - We get the win

There is no other positive in beating a team at home we should have beaten handily, but we still only beat because we made less mistakes than they did (of which we made many).

It was a disaster but for the scoreboard, so hopefully they learn from it and never repeat those mistakes.

Miami is obviously better than you are giving them credit for.
Agree especially defensively. Carolina wasn't yet what they've become at that point either.

OpHawk

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":1kpqmecn said:
TwistedHusky":1kpqmecn said:

1 - We get the win

And how do we know that?

kearly

Reaction score
I remember. The Panthers went 12-3 the rest of that season. Seattle played a phenomenal game and barely won. Doug Baldwin and Russell had some sick plays in that game.

Had Seattle lost that game, the Panthers would have been the #1 seed in the NFC that year. Ironically, Ron Rivera won coach of the year over Pete that season.

Hawks46

Reaction score
To keep on the positive momentum of this post, I liked the defense today.

There were a few negatives (namely Earl Thomas' play) but most of the stuff was mental break downs and errors, or missed tackles. This is all stuff that can and will be fixed.

We weren't getting physically beat, and the secondary looked really good at times, giving the pass rushers a full 4 seconds to get to Tannehill and make him move around.

kearly

Reaction score
Hawks46":ytkdhvim said:

The pass rush today was a little hit and miss, but when it hit, it looked incredible.

Jeremy Lane has a very good game, other than one drive where they picked on him with cover-3 beaters

OpHawk

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":z8j57jwg said:
OpHawk":z8j57jwg said:
FlyHawksFly":z8j57jwg said:
TwistedHusky":z8j57jwg said:

1 - We get the win

And how do we know that?

We just saw them play. Keep up.

And that's how we know aye? Cuz we saw them play a close game against our Seahawks who made a ton of mistakes?

Perhaps they are better. Perhaps they are not. We have no other sample to base the quality of the Dolphins on. They could drop the next 5 games. They could be garbage. They could be great. Quite presumptuous on your part. But I'll "keep up"

Zorn76

Reaction score
It was the season opener, so of course it was far from a polished performance. But we were also reminded of the perseverance and focus this team has in crunch time. That's very encouraging, all things considered.

sutz

Reaction score
... but we still only beat because we made less mistakes than they did (of which we made many).
I think that describes a lot of games in the NFL every week. :laugh:

stack55

Reaction score
I haven't heard anybody talk about the o-line. I thought they looked rusty.
They didn't run block very well and their pass protection was only good
For about 2 seconds on average. Sowell got beat several times and had
To hold.
For a completely new offensive line they did pretty good. I can see them
jelling in 2 or 3 games. If Sowell gets it together I can see it being a good
O-line. Ifedi's return should improve it also. I can't wait to that beast.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Geez, we almost lost to the Kellen Clemens Rams that year, played tight against the Titans at home and made Mike Glennon look like Aaron Rodgers.

I've found that some people will always nitpick a close victory. It is what it is. There have been 15 NFL games so far. 14 were decided by single digits. Only Cleveland got blown out. This is the NFL.

seahawk Dan

Reaction score
Zorn76":3nelkci8 said:
It was the season opener, so of course it was far from a polished performance. But we were also reminded of the perseverance and focus this team has in crunch time. That's very encouraging, all things considered.

Yes and remember we were losing games like this last year at the beginning of the season.

ctrcat

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1ud3i1qw said:
FlyHawksFly":1ud3i1qw said:
TwistedHusky":1ud3i1qw said:

1 - We get the win

Agree especially defensively. Carolina wasn't yet what they've become at that point either.

True. The Panthers didn't know how to win at that point, in a 2-14 stretch in one score games.

Greg Olsen dropped two balls, one almost as bad as the Stills drop that day.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
kearly":3jyhefli said:
Hawks46":3jyhefli said:

The pass rush today was a little hit and miss, but when it hit, it looked incredible.

Jeremy Lane has a very good game, other than one drive where they picked on him with cover-3 beaters

Seahawks put up the highest pressure rate through Week 1.

kearly

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":h19zm0w6 said:
They flushed Tannehill our of the pocket consistently, racking up 5 sacks and probably that many pressures as well. There were literally only 2 drives that Seattle didn't get great pressure. That's a bit better than hit or miss.

For the first three quarters or so, Tannehill had all day to throw on most of his dropbacks against a 4 man rush. When Seattle blitzed or did stunts, they looked really good.

kearly

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3osd8nn0 said:
Geez, we almost lost to the Kellen Clemens Rams that year, played tight against the Titans at home and made Mike Glennon look like Aaron Rodgers.

I've found that some people will always nitpick a close victory. It is what it is. There have been 15 NFL games so far. 14 were decided by single digits. Only Cleveland got blown out. This is the NFL.

Do Tom Brady teams shoot themselves in the foot to death 4-5 times a season? I'm not taking the Dolphins lightly, but if Seattle had played an average game today they would have covered.