TAKE THE POINTS

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Sorry, had to get that off my chest.

I deal with it way too much on Saturdays. I need Pete to trot Hausch Money out there and take the 3 when it's there. Im stoked we won, and not nearly as negative as some others on here. But Please Pete. Just take the points. Go up 6 when its that early in the game.

thanks

mikeak

Reaction score
If we are going to run an obvious pass play (that was crappy in addition) then I agree

We are a running team. Picking up inches around the 30 yard line with a power run straight up should be a no-brainer and we just need to do it. If RW doesn't have the ability due to his leg to get leverage then you put in Boynkin and run a quarterback sneak.

I get the "get the points" perspective but in a 6-3 game you still loose if you score 3 and the opponent scores 7. If we were up by 4 I say kick the field-goal. When up by 3 go get the first down like you should

Barakas

Reaction score
It's been more than once that not taking the points has really bitten us in critical games. With that said...I wanted them to go for it....but with a running play not a pass play that wasn't even thrown to the 1st down marker!!!

OP
OP
gowazzu02

gowazzu02

Reaction score
mikeak":3dnngr95 said:
If we are going to run an obvious pass play (that was crappy in addition) then I agree

We are a running team. Picking up inches around the 30 yard line with a power run straight up should be a no-brainer and we just need to do it. If RW doesn't have the ability due to his leg to get leverage then you put in Boynkin and run a quarterback sneak.

I get the "get the points" perspective but in a 6-3 game you still loose if you score 3 and the opponent scores 7. If we were up by 4 I say kick the field-goal. When up by 3 go get the first down like you should

At that point in the game, if they score 7, then you only need a FG to win it. It was still way too early.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
I remember a San Francisco game when it was 4th down and we were about to kick a long field goal and changed minds. We threw a bomb TD. Sometimes it works. It is also about what the defense gives you. If the defense is geared up for run and you have man coverage it is not a dumb play to pass. Maybe possible bad execution or maybe good defense might ruins things.

OP
OP
gowazzu02

gowazzu02

Reaction score
slight tangent, both ESPN and NFL .com stink. I tried to find the "drive by drive" view to find exactly how much time was on the clock when they went for it. But came up empty on both sites.

kidhawk

Reaction score
gowazzu02":snm3wvq1 said:
slight tangent, both ESPN and NFL .com stink. I tried to find the "drive by drive" view to find exactly how much time was on the clock when they went for it. But came up empty on both sites.

It was with 5:02 left in the 3rd quarter....I found the play by play on nfl.com is up as normal for me.

[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2016091109/2016/REG1/dolphins@seahawks#menu=gameinfo%7CcontentId%3A0ap3000000700748&tab=analyze&analyze=playbyplay[/urltargetblank]

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
The "Bevell" pass was horrid.

Petes not going to change, he will trust Bevell even when he shouldn't.

The only excuse I will give him is that our offensive line doesn't get alot of favorable matchups i.e. being better than the defensive line they are facing, which makes getting that one yard on fourth harder. That's really the only reason for a pass and then still Bevell likes to call these "before-the-yard-to-gain" pass plays which are super obnoxious because it makes everything close.

I couldn't handle Bevell if I was coach he would have been gone after the superb owl.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I thought they should put in Boykin in an obvious sneak alignment then have him option pitch it to Rawls/Michael

HommyHawk

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":2inx31y7 said:
I remember a San Francisco game when it was 4th down and we were about to kick a long field goal and changed minds. We threw a bomb TD. Sometimes it works. It is also about what the defense gives you. If the defense is geared up for run and you have man coverage it is not a dumb play to pass. Maybe possible bad execution or maybe good defense might ruins things.
Haush said he couldn't hit it.Russell even called him out.I agree with op.Too many times 3 would have changed the situational football at the later part of games.we are a grind team .we cause accumulated damage in a game of attrition.take the points.

OP
OP
gowazzu02

gowazzu02

Reaction score
kidhawk":2fhi6qsc said:
gowazzu02":2fhi6qsc said:

It was with 5:02 left in the 3rd quarter....I found the play by play on nfl.com is up as normal for me.

[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2016091109/2016/REG1/dolphins@seahawks#menu=gameinfo%7CcontentId%3A0ap3000000700748&tab=analyze&analyze=playbyplay[/urltargetblank]

Many thanks.

5 Minutes left in the third. You take the points. You have a minimum of 3 maybe 4 possessions left. Don't worry about being up less then a td at that point.

Cad

Reaction score
Yeah, the way the D was playing, going up 6 would have been huge. We were limiting Miami to field goals, and even if they do score a touchdown, being down 10-9 rather than 10-6 means you only need a FG to win, rather than needing the endzone.

I'm always amazed by teams that pass up easy field goals when they should take the points. WSU had the same situation over the weekend where Leach passed up a close field goal and then they failed to convert on 4th down. That came back to bite them hard at the end of the game. cause they lost by 3.

sutz

Reaction score
I don't agree completely. It seemed to me that halfway into the 3rd it was worth the risk to burn more clock out. It was obviously going to be a low scoring affair. A first down there, followed by a score would have shortened the game significantly. We can complain about the playcalls, and moan about execution and all, but I don't see the strategy as being worthy of fault. As it was, it didn't cost us a lot.

I remember not having a large issue with it at the time. :229031_shrug:

kearly

Reaction score
I think it was the right decision and the wrong playcall. We should be able to trust our interior and Christine Michael to pick up 2 inches on 4th down.

It's also worth considering that Hauschka missed an extra point later in the game due to a protection breakdown by Sowell. Not to mention that 48 yard field goals aren't automatic, especially with our current long snapper.

OP
OP
gowazzu02

gowazzu02

Reaction score
sutz":292w3io6 said:
I don't agree completely. It seemed to me that halfway into the 3rd it was worth the risk to burn more clock out. It was obviously going to be a low scoring affair. A first down there, followed by a score would have shortened the game significantly. We can complain about the playcalls, and moan about execution and all, but I don't see the strategy as being worthy of fault. As it was, it didn't cost us a lot.

Well there you go. the other side of the coin is IF you convert, go down and get a TD. you have potentially stepped on their throat. I don't hate being aggressive. I just think PC needs to think big picture. We are a grind it out team. I prefer to take the points to help with the grind.....

sutz

Reaction score
gowazzu02":tux7wxlg said:
sutz":tux7wxlg said:

Well there you go. the other side of the coin is IF you convert, go down and get a TD. you have potentially stepped on their throat. I don't hate being aggressive. I just think PC needs to think big picture. We are a grind it out team. I prefer to take the points to help with the grind.....
And.....if we take the FG and they get the ball back and score a TD, they win the exchange by 4 points in a close game.

We could go back and forth with this all day. :D

Happens all the time. When it works it's brilliant, when it doesn't work it sucks. :laugh:

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
sutz":1w9nbtqv said:
[We could go back and forth with this all day. :D

Happens all the time. When it works it's brilliant, when it doesn't work it sucks. :laugh:

Exactly, sutz.

If we'd gained the 1st down and either a subsequent TD or FG, PC would have been applauded for his aggressiveness by many posters on here, for putting his foot on the pedal and not letting up.

Even in a win, the coaching staff can't really win. Give the ball to Russ and let him call his own plays and audibles (that he and Bevell have already worked out, BTW).

It's a tough job; I'm glad I don't do it.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy took the points twice in the 2014 NFC Championship Game.

On his way to choking away the game.

Conservative calls ensure nothing. With gutsier calls, the Packers are probably in the Super Bowl.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1r6vatbu said:
Mike McCarthy took the points twice in the 2014 NFC Championship Game.

On his way to choking away the game.

Conservative calls ensure nothing. With gutsier calls, the Packers are probably in the Super Bowl.

the Packers haven't fielded the league's top scoring defense four consecutive seasons.

against a team that hasn't been able to do anything all day long minus one 50 year play on broken coverage that has only put up 3 points, nullify their only score with another 3 points.

methinks pete was thinking too much about losing 10-9 and starting the season off with another blown 4th quarter lead. Which was almost the case. But even though our guys came through with a TD either way, It woulda been a lot less stressful to know we only needed a field goal.

ZornwasaleftY

Reaction score
Especially with Russel hurting and our Def playing lights out - a no brainer.

Seriously didn't get it - won't get into Bevell's play call.