Cornerbacks. A great positive

Hawks46

Reaction score
Hey, we all know that game was ugly. I honestly think that most of the misakes were mental and they'll get cleaned up.

One of the biggest things I took away from yesterday's game was the play of our CB's. All three of them, not just Sherman.

Shead played really well. I can't find it, but I remember reading something that said Shead was targetted 6 times and gave up 2 receptions for 12 yards. He also devastated a screen out to his side, if I remember correctly, it was a RB screen. He showed great speed and recognition in breaking on the ball. If he gets more comfortable, hopefully we see him making plays on the ball and not just going for the pass break up. He's also money in run support.

Lane. This dude is built for the slot. He played really well against Landry. It also shows a lot that they let him cover Landry instead of moving Sherman on Landry to shut him down.

Sherman. Targetted once for 1 rec for 2 yards. What really impresses me about Sherman is that he's honed his craft. I honestly don't know if he can get better in coverage (he'd tell you he could), but his tackling, physicality and run support have sky rocketed in the last couple of years. He throws his weight and drives through the tackle, wraps up, and rarely missed the tackle, while coming up with authority in the run game and laying a hit on the RB and shedding blocks.

This is once again a strength of our team.

Tical21

Reaction score
Agreed. All three played fantastically. They never tested Shead down the field, but he was all over the intermediate stuff.

I might give Jeremy Lane the POG. They obviously noticed his slightness on tape and came out determined to expose his physicality in the screen game early, and he really stood up. I don't know how many screens they ran at him before they finally had to give it up. Also, for my money, the crossing route in the slot is about as difficult to cover as any route in football, and for him to play it so perfectly and reach across and bat that ball down during a huge moment in the game was just a gorgeous play.

They didn't even bother looking at Sherman.

Also, not a corner, but Kam looked like he was highly motivated and was everywhere.

sutz

Reaction score
Agreed, especially Lane, IMHO. I especially loved how they were collapsing that WR bubble screen. Must have been a point of emphasis this off-season, because we got burned on that a lot last year. Had to love how almost every time they called that, our CB was pushing the blocking WR back into the receiver and cutting off any allowable lanes to run. Plus the pursuit was closing in on that in excellent fashion.

Perhaps this is why we were better at it on offense yesterday than last year, too. :)

RussB

Reaction score
Really like shead, guy is a great athlete. 6'2 and has alot of speed also great in run support. Lane is lane . Sherman is still the best CB in the league.

Happy they let maxwell go now to let shead step up, guy has way more potential b max has reached his ceiling.

NewJerseyHawk

Reaction score
Shead and Simon are free agents and Elliott is on the active roster with Tye Smith on practice squad. Ideally, we add another piece or Eliiott starts to get snaps in games, so we know what's there if teams go with 4WR and no TE.

Thurmond, Lane, Maxwell, Sherman and Browner were the 5 CB's in 2013, with the safeties mixed in....that's a level to shoot for....If Elliott develops and we give Shead a solid contract similar to Lane, we will be 4 deep for the next 3 to 5 years.

2_0_6

Reaction score
They played great, but lets not get too excited. They played a decimated WR corps.

Cad

Reaction score
Definitely liked their attitudes, too. Not only were they batting balls away, but they were wagging their fingers as if Tannehill messed with the wrong guys.

kearly

Reaction score
There were a couple of notable blown coverages and Earl played his worst game as a Hawk, but I generally agree that Lane, Shead, and Kam all looked awesome. It is a big relief seeing Kam look like Kam again. It's been a while. Lane had what felt like a breakout game, and Shead made a play or two as well.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
I love Jeremy Lane. He doesnt try to dance around the blockers on a screen. He just pushes them back into to receiver. He's always been good defending the screen, yesterday he was phenominal.