Reed against the run

Ozzy

Reaction score
One guy I think doesn't get mentioned enough is Reed. They flat out couldn't run the ball against us up the middle. I can see why they were so excited to grab him in the 2nd and almost took him in the first. Our defense starts with us stopping the run and he is already an elite player in that regard. Very good performance by Reed that needs to be noticed.

Erebus

Reaction score
I think the word "elite" gets thrown around too much. He has to prove himself beyond one game to be considered elite. But yeah, I agree he played well and deserves some recognition.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
He comes into the season under the radar for most teams. We won't really know what we have until the second half of the season when we start seeing those second games of the season against our NFCW opponents and other teams have more tape to figure him out.

He sure looked good last night though

A

Anonymous

austinslater25":hd44kop7 said:
One guy I think doesn't get mentioned enough is Reed. They flat out couldn't run the ball against us up the middle. I can see why they were so excited to grab him in the 2nd and almost took him in the first. Our defense starts with us stopping the run and he is already an elite player in that regard. Very good performance by Reed that needs to be noticed.

Word.

Reed had some small mentions by Fouts, but deserved a few more whiney, chalk-board grating, color comments than were uttered by that non-championship-earning Air Coryellite.

Reed is good. Liked what I saw too.

kf3339

Reaction score
Reed not only played the run well, but also I believe broke up two passes by batting them down. That is a great sign to me. He also got some interior pressure at times when he was in the game.

All in all a pretty good first game if you ask me!

sutz

Reaction score
Well, in a pass happy league, everybody is looking for pass rushers. IIRC, his scouting reports weren't very favorable towards his pass rush ability. Seems like our guys did their homework and grabbed the guy earlier than a lot of teams obviously would. Sounds like we have a winner, for now.

Sure, needs more examples to call him elite, but it's a pretty good start.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
He played very well. It would be great to see him keep up that level of performance. Gotta say though, he's so big I can't help but be afraid he'll be another Marcus Tubbs.

NewJerseyHawk

Reaction score
Ironically, if you noticed, McDaniel played a lot of snaps as a starter in the preseason off the street and saw a lot less snaps with Reed forcing 2nd and long situations, which led to a LOT of 3 and outs....the 3 and out and lack of capitalization by the offense, should not take away from both Reed and Jefferson's efforts yesterday.

We are in a position where we haven't mentioned the potential return of Jordan Hill at a later date and time and IR'd Siliga and have the trade piece stashed from the 49ers as well.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
We didn't miss Brandon Mebane and that was my big fear going in to the season. So therefore so far so good.

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
I didn't mean elite in the sense that he is an elite player right now only that he has an elite skill set(i believe) in stopping the run. My fault as I worded it terribly. Its still way to early to say that he is elite in that regard too although I really think he is. reading some scouting reports on him pre-draft and a couple of guys called him the best run stopper they've graded in a few years.

Exciting start to his career for sure.

Elite Poster with zero debate,
Austin
:sarcasm_on:

Atradees

Reaction score
Reed played 33 of 53 defensive snaps. The Dline looked really good to me. Like it was said we are technically transitioning without Mebane and I breathed a sigh of releif. I think it helps that the Fins had a rookie playing in Tunsil and probowler C Pouncy hurt though. I would be happy if we can hold up vs the Rams and get pressures.

titan3131

Reaction score
I believe he batted down 2 balls just this game... Add in a sack every other game and that's a PRO BOWLER BABY!!!

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Yes, Jarran batted two balls. What's even more encouraging is that it follows several more during the preseason.

Even more importantly he looks like a terrific run-stuffer!