Re-watched the game

kearly

Reaction score
Like Brock Huard says, it's never as bad as you think on gameday and never as good as you think. I came away with a pretty different impression in some aspects after watching a second time, and overall I feel a lot more optimistic about the state of the franchise than I did yesterday.

Scheme

During the preseason, the Seahawks starting offense ran mostly 2 WR sets. Either with 2 TEs and a RB or sometimes with 1 TE and a FB/HB. I got so lost in the action during Sunday's game that I assumed Seattle was still running out of this "2012 style" offense as their staple. I was wrong. Against the Dolphins Seattle ran most of their plays out of the spread with 3+ WRs. At times, Seattle had as many as 5 wide with an empty backfield. I didn't chart the play designs, but I would guess that Seattle had at least 3 WRs on the field at least 75% of the snaps if not more.

Seattle did get a little cute with some under center stuff in the first half with bad results, but it didn't last long. For most of the game, Seattle was running the second half of 2015 style of offense.

And while the offense really struggled to move the chains and score points, I consider this to be a huge sigh of relief. Rather than thinking Seattle wasn't playing their personnel to their strengths, they actually were, but just had an off game. Either that, or the Miami defense is a hell of a lot better than anyone expects. While the latter strikes me as unlikely, it's a new coaching staff and they did make several notable defensive acquisitions this offseason, so we shouldn't rule out that possibility completely. And for what it's worth, Miami's defense did pass they eyeball test pretty well.

Pass rush

I could be wrong but as far as I can tell Miami didn't successfully pick up a blitz until mid-way through the 4th quarter. Seattle was KILLING the Dolphins with the blitz. Seattle was equally deadly with the 4 man rush when utilizing stunts, including two stunts for sacks to end the game.

The vanilla pass rush continues to have issues, but thankfully vanilla calls were rare in this game. Of Miami's 34 passing plays, Seattle rushed four without stunts only 10 times. Nearly all of those plays resulted in Tannehill having at least 4 seconds to throw, though the coverage forced Tannehill into multiple throwaways and one coverage induced Seneca-sack by KJ Wright, who was not one of the original four rushers. Michael Bennett's sack came from a vanilla pass rush, but Tannehill had about 4 seconds before being sacked and got caught flat footed on the play. There was also a play where Frank Clark did an impromptu delayed stunt that helped generate a clean QB hit just after the pass.

Seattle also went with a 3 man rush twice, and they were two of the more disastrous plays of the game. The first was the should have been 71 yard TD pass to Kenny Stills that afforded Tannehill plenty of time to look deep, and the second was the catch and run to Jarvis Landry for roughly 30 yards that sparked the Dolphins TD drive. On the second play, Tannehill waited roughly 6 seconds before finding Landry and never really had to move off his spot.

Overall, this game seemed like a step in the right direction for Kris Richard. He knows he needs to get creative to get to the QB, and in this game, he took advantage of a Dolphins OL with struggles in protection by dialing up 22 aggressive pass rush calls out of 34 total opportunities. And those aggressive calls almost always had success, it wasn't until Miami's TD drive that they even started to have an answer for the blitz.

Part of it is the QB as well. Tannehill really struggled to beat the blitz, other than a 50 yard dump off pass to Arian Foster, and even that play appeared to be a designed call and not an impromptu move by the QB.

Overall, the pass rush looked insanely good when there were moving parts. Frank Clark in particular seems to live and die by the inside stunt for the time being. Not to sound like a backhanded compliment though, because Clark's athleticism is starting to match a DE type profile and he's starting to get a better feel for the position. He looks like he's developing ahead of schedule.

Wilson

Who knows how the ankle will be in a week, but by the final drive, Wilson looked close to 100%. On his fumbled pitch, which occurred not too long after his 3rd quarter ankle injury, he actually got struck pretty good on his ankles by Mark Glowinsky, and yet Wilson showed no signs of pain whatsoever.

His overall performance in the game had symptoms of rust. The interception he threw is one of the worst interceptions you'll ever see him throw, and his fumbled pitch was simply a case of him trying too hard to make a play. We'll see how Wilson's ankle holds up, but when he gets healthy again, I think he'll be fine.

O-line

Gilliam got away with some holds at times, Sowell had some holding calls (though one of them was a phantom hold), and JaMarcus Webb got dominated a few times by Suh. That said, Webb did just barely a good enough job, in that he and the other interior lineman successfully kept Suh from taking over the game. Last year's OL would have been utterly destroyed by Suh. Overall, Seattle's OL did a better job than expected at protecting Wilson, and gave him a reasonable amount of time to throw on most plays.

Where the line struggled a bit more was run blocking, particularly Mark Glowinsky who got blown up on a couple of flow runs, including the Wilson fumble play. It wasn't all bad though, by the second half the running game was starting to heat up, especially when Christine Michael was getting the ball.

My game ball on the OL goes to Garry Gilliam. He got away with some ridiculously flagrant holds at times, but considering his matchup (Cameron Wake) I thought he had an outstanding game. He is slowly but surely turning into a real NFL player.

Overall thoughts

It's hard to say how much of the defensive performance was on Tannehill's limitations or on Seattle's dominance, but other than a handful of lapses, this game had a legit 2013 feel defensively. The secondary was smothering receivers, and the pass rush was mostly getting home. The run defense isn't quite as stout at the point of attack as last year, but it is still very good at making tackles for loss or keeping rushes to 3 yards or less.

It's also worth noting that Miami gained half their yards on just 3 plays. So yes, there are things to patch up, leaks to plug, and so on. But this defense already looks nastier than it did an any game last season. Just imagine how good the defense would have looked if Earl Thomas had played like Earl Thomas, instead of having a fluky day to forget.

The offense has work to do, but it might not have to be great this year.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
kearly":1vtu92qf said:
O-line

Gilliam got away with some holds at times, Sowell had some holding calls (though one of them was a phantom hold), and JaMarcus Webb got dominated a few times by Suh. That said, Webb did just barely a good enough job, in that he and the other interior lineman successfully kept Suh from taking over the game. Last year's OL would have been utterly destroyed by Suh. Overall, Seattle's OL did a better job than expected at protecting Wilson, and gave him a reasonable amount of time to throw on most plays.

Agreed. Britt, Gilliam, and Sowell all had strong games to my eyes.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Outstanding post.

Way off topic but on replay did it look to you like the 71 yd ball grazed Stills' facemask on the way into his hands?

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":1ynkztdy said:
I really appreciate this second look, it falls in line with what I saw both at the game and in my subsequent rewatch. Like I had said to you in a few different threads, I thought your original view of the game was maybe slanted by some opinions you held going into the game, and weren't ready to shake them off regardless of what happened on the field. The fact that you did rewatch it, realized where you had made some mistakes and corrected them, really makes me value your opinion more.

Cheers.

I think that's fair in this case. It is very hard to be intellectual and emotional at the same time, and yesterday's game was full of emotion. Watching again the day after added a great degree of clarity for me.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
My game ball on the OL goes to Garry Gilliam. He got away with some ridiculously flagrant holds at times, but considering his matchup (Cameron Wake) I thought he had an outstanding game. He is slowly but surely turning into a real NFL player.

Nice write up as always, we need some of those holds, learning the Cowboys way.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Any thoughts about what you saw on 3rd down, Kearly? I know a couple were drops, 1 was an INT. Curious if we tried to go to play action in some 3rd and short or if we stuck with the spread concepts and just didn't execute. I plan to watch again tonight but 3rd down really jumps out on the stat sheet.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
hawknation2016":q1z4wtj1 said:
kearly":q1z4wtj1 said:
O-line

Sowell was being abused until Mario Williams went out with a concussion.

Largent80

Reaction score
Yeah I re-watched it too and feel way better about the game and team as a whole.

Not much I can add except maybe to say RW is one tough-competitive dude to not only gut out the 2nd half, but guide the team down the field to win the game was amazing.

Miami's D-line may be tougher than the Rams, and I thought Ware was deliberately trying to take Russ out. On one play Ware had Russ in his sites and Glowinski came flying out of nowhere and totally saved RW. If Glow doesn't make that block were looking at Boykin.

byau

Reaction score
Nice post and I echo the sentiment.

I listened to it live first, then watched condensed replay

The only really glaring things that worry me are Russell's ankles and Earl's worst game. And I think Earl will bounce back. And I think it will be hard to keep Russell down

The rest of the game, there were some miscommunications, there were some brain farts, overall when watched on condensed replay it really didn't seem that bad.

The only other thing I noticed was the pass rush at times gave Tannehill tons and tons of time, however, perhaps it was by design because it's not like the Dolphins really capitalized on it.

The last glaring thing: giving up the TD late in the 4th. The Seahawks had plenty of last minute collapses last year, is that a sign of what's to happen this year?

Overall, not bad. Super happy to get the W

Laloosh

Reaction score
byau, I totally thought you should have won the Sunshine Boy award last week btw... Mr. Happy-Go-Lucky :2thumbs:

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":2ei2te1n said:
Are Wagner and Kam looking more like 2013 Wagner and Kam to you?

It's one game, but yes.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":3hxfrkxp said:
hawknation2016":3hxfrkxp said:
kearly":3hxfrkxp said:
O-line

Sowell was being abused until Mario Williams went out with a concussion.

Agreed. Gilliam was getting abused by Wake in my opinion. If that is the good Gilliam, then I guess he must have a higher ceiling to be even better. I thought he was awful, particularly in the first half of the game.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
kearly":13q4z2yz said:
I got so lost in the action during Sunday's game that I assumed Seattle was still running out of this "2012 style" offense as their staple. I was wrong. Against the Dolphins Seattle ran most of their plays out of the spread with 3+ WRs. At times, Seattle had as many as 5 wide with an empty backfield. I didn't chart the play designs, but I would guess that Seattle had at least 3 WRs on the field at least 75% of the snaps if not more.

Seattle did get a little cute with some under center stuff in the first half with bad results, but it didn't last long. For most of the game, Seattle was running the second half of 2015 style of offense.

I was wondering what people were seeing after the game when they kept talking about 2012 playcalling. Seattle's play choices looked a lot more like latter half 2015 than anything else, I thought.

The game wasn't as close as the scoreboard. A couple of Tyler Lockett drops and Earl Thomas whiffs away from a much bigger win.

Kearly, everyone really appreciates your writeups, as usual. You make a good point that second viewings are valuable.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Haven't replayed it yet, hopefully late tonight, but am hoping to see why (iirc) Tyler dropped several catches, were those passes on target? Also iirc then one of the holding calls on Sowell (correctly called) was a damn good move by him or RW else was going to get obliterated.

byau

Reaction score
Laloosh":6pjmb92z said:
byau, I totally thought you should have won the Sunshine Boy award last week btw... Mr. Happy-Go-Lucky :2thumbs:

What can I say..... infected with Russell-Wilson fever :)

byau

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":2f5kly3v said:
Haven't replayed it yet, hopefully late tonight, but am hoping to see why (iirc) Tyler dropped several catches, were those passes on target? Also iirc then one of the holding calls on Sowell (correctly called) was a damn good move by him or RW else was going to get obliterated.

Forgot about that, he did have some key drops, enough to the point where I'm like "Dude, what's wrong with this guy?".

I'm not too worried about that, I think that's an outlier too just like Earl's tackling

dogorama

Reaction score
I haven't watched the replay yet and hopefully I'll feel the same way but when I hear "take out the drops, penalties, muffed plays etc. and we weren't really that bad" I am thinking yeah, take those out of any NFL team's game and we have 32 teams that are 16-0. Those things are part of the game and a direct reflection of how good or not you are.

Luckily, on some of these issues we have player's, e.g., Lockett, ET, who are uncharacteristically making these mistakes. I am also encouraged by what kearly reports via the scheme, during the game it felt like they knew what we were going to do. You can't see it much on TV but I was surprised at how good their pass coverage was for most of the game. Disappointed w/Glowinski, thought he'd be much better.

Hopefully, they tighten things up this week and get a win against the Rams, it's time.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Thank you HawkNation for posting the gifs. That must have taken time. Appreciate it as I was unable to watch the game yesterday!

How do you get the screen captures? Do you TiVo the game and snip?