Play the "I'm Bevell" Game

dogorama

Reaction score
I have no idea how this is going to go over but I thought it might be fun. Going into this week's game it would seem that we are faced w/essentially the same scenario as regards opposing personnel, namely a stout D-line. Here's a scenario that is very similar to last game (whether you agree or not just play along):

You get into the game and not much is working, they are covering the short intermediate routes well and you don't have time for routes to develop w/a converging pass rush. Bubble screens and short outs are completed but the DB's cover up w/tackles fast. They have also designed a plan to contain the roll-out and it is working. On top of that, your O-line isn't getting any push and you get a halfway decent run every once in a while but it's basically a couple yds here and there. So basically your offense is stymied and even though your defense is playing well, you can't afford to get any further behind. Remember, I am talking about game calls, not end-of-the-game drives where they might be playing prevent.

You are OC Bevell, how do you adjust?

(no Statue of Liberty or triple-reverses, LOL)

Edit: Please, no critiquing until we get to the end.

mrt144

Reaction score
Read option passes like that one in the opener against GB in 2014

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Traditional screen passes after inviting their D-line by "missing" blocks.

Also continue with short and intermediate routes because they are working and try to drive the field in that fashion.

Also some traditional draw plays to Rawls.

After more of that, hit 'em with a pump fake on a curl and go route by Doug because their DBs will try to cheat up after being conditioned to think it's another short/intermediate route. O-line will have to protect a second longer to make that work.

I also like running the WRs deep and having Luke/Jimmy go down the seam. It's a 2 second play that can be effective.

Optimus25

Reaction score
I motion Jimmy or Luke across a formation to isolate.

Run a play action bomb early in a series to P Rich to force the defenders a half step off those tight coverage.

And finally, with only five total minutes of thought put in to this, ....

WHERE'S THE JET SWEEP TO LOCKETT?

iigakusei

Reaction score
Sideline bombs to Lockett.
Watch Ben throw them up to Antonio Brown - and copy that :lol:

Atradees

Reaction score
slant, run, wheel route, max protection bomb, scramble, fade....TD

In short, if all else fails-leave it in Russell's hands for backyard football!

On 3rd and twelve the FB/HB Dive is out........that left with Holmgren's Limo.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Keep running the ball. It took a two-and-a-half quarters, but they eventually wore down the Dolphins D and started to run the ball better.

More run plays = quicker wearing down of the opposing defense = more success running, which is when we can feast off play-action passing like we do when everything is going well.

A

Anonymous

Easy.

Play action deep passes on quick counts set up by an occasional up-the-middle run.

Passes over the top after looking off the safety in hopes of a one-on-one completion, a penalty, or incompletion. WR's rotate through on the way back up-field, and every so often, slip two tight ends into the formation for crossing/natural picks, outs, or wheel routes to the (watching) RB's.

30% success rate over three downs. Odds in your favor, creates fatigue in the secondary and pash rush 3techs. Limits defensive line substitutions.

Fast pace. Always fast pace. Limit motion and when fatigue sets in you toss in the occasional hard count on seconds and thirds to keep the rush in check and also troll for penalties. Offensive assistants need to focus on matchups and feed the rooks to the OC via headset before the play calls.

Piece of cake.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Draws up the middle. Play action passes. But if all else fails...

jon-ryan-fake-punt.gif

StoneCold

Reaction score
Nothing we do is working? This.

[youtube]V8QBQQp54nw[/youtube]

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think we already tipped our hand with Pete saying Rawls is starting AND resigning Tukuafu.

We're gonna try and do what the Niners did, go two TE and run the ball right at the Rams interior. This also plays into some play action down the field with our speedy WR's.

I approve of this scheme, make it so #1.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
mrt144":1lwd0zlo said:
Read option passes like that one in the opener against GB in 2014

This. I am a huge fan of option plays where the QB has the option to pass. Tuiasosopo did this a bunch while at UW.

getnasty

Reaction score
Max protect and double move deep balls early to loosen coverage then run the ball and quick passes out of the spread.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3a7m881v said:
I think we already tipped our hand with Pete saying Rawls is starting AND resigning Tukuafu.

We're gonna try and do what the Niners did, go two TE and run the ball right at the Rams interior. This also plays into some play action down the field with our speedy WR's.

I approve of this scheme, make it so #1.
Suspect you're right Sarge.

Mojambo

Reaction score
I think Rawls might just go off and make everything moot.

Jimmy Graham is also a really bad match-up for the Rams and I think he'll get more run than anyone thinks.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Sorry, I dont have the intelligence to be Bevell. Nor do I have the innate knowledge to do so as well. Beg pardon.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":3tn7y5qk said:
Sorry, I dont have the intelligence to be Bevell. Nor do I have the innate knowledge to do so as well. Beg pardon.
Maybe it would have solicited stronger emotion if the thread title were instead written as "I'm The Bevell."

OP
OP
dogorama

dogorama

Reaction score
No offense guys, and it's probably my fault as I referenced the Ram's line, but the game wasn't meant to be a game plan for the Rams but how you would adjust to a specific scenario if it occurred as a result of a similar situation.

As for it being "Bevell," it just means that you are the offensive coordinator, and, it is just a "game."

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
dogorama":1ibq2tth said:
No offense guys, and it's probably my fault as I referenced the Ram's line, but the game wasn't meant to be a game plan for the Rams but how you would adjust to a specific scenario if it occurred as a result of a similar situation.

As for it being "Bevell," it just means that you are the offensive coordinator, and, it is just a "game."
No apologies necessary, it's a fun scenario to yak about.

But I don't think the Rams, or anyone, will be able to put the Hawks into quite that dire of a Hell-like situation. In crunch time ADB is proven-clutch but the offense has a lot of weapons this year, especially given the now-massive run-first O-Line meeting the mostly pass-built D's on our schedule. Instead of going between the guards all the time, just hammer off tackle once in a while. Tuke and Vannet are all about hammering down on 'that action.'