The interception

erik2690

Reaction score
I only have this screenshot from Twitter and Sheil's description, but you can at least see what Russell was thinking much clearer. I'm not saying it would have been a completion or even that it was a good decision. Maybe someone has the All-22 GIF, but it seems like CJ breaking off makes it look quite a bit worse on TV than it was as far as decision making. I still think there are maybe too many defenders near for that pass to work, but I do like that we can see a bit more of 'Oh that's what he saw'.

Sheil's description: It wasn't as bad as it looked live. Wilson scrambled, and he actually had running back C.J. Prosise streaking down the field. But Prosise decided to come back towards Wilson rather than continue downfield. That led to the pick. It's the type of error that is unlikely to happen once the two guys play more games with each other.

CsUqO6jWYAAg2R2

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Looks like CJ had a clear lane, wonder what propelled him to come back.

mikeak

Reaction score
Bobblehead":3v9wfv9o said:

QB Scrambling - taught by many to come back towards the QB

mrt144

Reaction score
More rapport between the two and it could have been something. But you don't build that overnight.

sutz

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2eos5lie said:
Teams have different philosophies on scramble drills. Many teams teach "work back to the QB to give him a target." Some teams say "go deep." I suspect most teams have a mixture of those two concepts. Perhaps CJ is a bit new to have that down pat yet. Gonna take a few reps to work that out. Still leaves most of the blame on Russ, for targeting the least experienced receiver on the field in that drill. Probably should have thrown it away.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I think the thought in these circumstances is for the receiver to button and come back to the passer. The old mindthink is that way. I did not see a wave off to make the receiver keep his momentum going downfield. The old brain trust is to make yourself open to your qb. I know I repeated myself, but that was as I stated the old thought with old school science of football. Jaws, Roger, Brett, and most others would probably agree as that was their staple of Wide receiver instructions. If I am scrambling, Get OPEN as Soon As possible and come to me if you have a clear line. AGAIN that is old school. More reps and they change strategy.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
I figured it was something like that, Wilson had said that he saw Prosise going down the sideline and he figured it was open there and made the throw. If Prosise catch it, I'm pretty sure we get 6 points in that drive.

We have to all remember that Prosise was injured for most of training camp. That lack of time with Wilson really showed. If he has a cast on his hand now, wonder how that would affect him as a receiver.

TatupuIsRRRR

Reaction score
This very good perspective thanks. I was big time scratching my head with Russ thought on that play but this is helping clear up. :irishdrinkers:

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
sutz":267edbxr said:
Bobblehead":267edbxr said:
Teams have different philosophies on scramble drills. Many teams teach "work back to the QB to give him a target." Some teams say "go deep." I suspect most teams have a mixture of those two concepts. Perhaps CJ is a bit new to have that down pat yet. Gonna take a few reps to work that out. Still leaves most of the blame on Russ, for targeting the least experienced receiver on the field in that drill. Probably should have thrown it away.

I don't get why Russ would get blame for trying to make a play to a least experience receiver....he was the only one open and Russ was going to give him a chance. I just say it was miscommunication and they will sort it out. You have to give your receiver some situational passes to get him to have those experience or else how would he ever learn?

ivotuk

Reaction score
sutz":1oehrbcm said:
Bobblehead":1oehrbcm said:

Teams have different philosophies on scramble drills. Many teams teach "work back to the QB to give him a target." Some teams say "go deep." I suspect most teams have a mixture of those two concepts.

Perhaps CJ is a bit new to have that down pat yet. Gonna take a few reps to work that out. Still leaves most of the blame on Russ, for targeting the least experienced receiver on the field in that drill. Probably should have thrown it away.

The bolded part is right on the money

dogorama

Reaction score
erik2690":1ofnml8y said:
Sheil's description: It wasn't as bad as it looked live.

This is what I hate about watching the game on TV, you just can't see the plays developing. That, and no cheerleader action. Oh well, getting close to full mobility. :lol:

Laloosh

Reaction score
I can post a gif of it later tonight. I've procrastinated on going through the game play by play. The all 22 thread didn't get much traction so I was contemplating not doing it. I'll post this one at the very least tonight so we all have some context (if everybody is okay with gifs).

mikeak

Reaction score
dogorama":1lx63sdi said:
erik2690":1lx63sdi said:
Sheil's description: It wasn't as bad as it looked live.

This is what I hate about watching the game on TV, you just can't see the plays developing. That, and no cheerleader action. Oh well, getting close to full mobility. :lol:

Still to this day with most people watching on widescreen TV the cameramen haven't figured out how to use it. They are doing more close-ups to make people feel more part of the action than zoom out that are still great on our 50" TVs and would show the play more

Bobblehead

Reaction score
mikeak":1zfc3kwd said:
Bobblehead":1zfc3kwd said:

Well yes, that's true, but, Wilson always seems to scramble.

I"m not sure how they would communicate what to do, On one hand, CJ seems to be open where he is and if he comes back, he's coming back into coverage. OTOH Russell is in the position to release and doesn't see CJ breaking off. I guess that where experience and knowledge of your target is invaluable.

There too, seems to be a player at the 20 yard line all alone.

Just looked at the pic again, Russell is releasing and CJ hasn't yet broken off, he needed to finish the route.
I call it on CJ.

mikeak

Reaction score
Bobblehead":psbw9r5q said:
mikeak":psbw9r5q said:
Bobblehead":psbw9r5q said:

Well yes, that's true, but, Wilson always seems to scramble.

I"m not sure how they would communicate what to do, On one hand, CJ seems to be open where he is and if he comes back, he's coming back into coverage. OTOH Russell is in the position to release and doesn't see CJ breaking off. I guess that where experience and knowledge of your target is invaluable.

There too, seems to be a player at the 20 yard line all alone.

I was a bit short as I was on a conference call :D

Yes that is what RW does but Prosie is a rookie. It was noted after my comment that they are not on the same page yet. So when RW is in real trouble some guys may want to come back to at least be within throwing distance from his new position (guy on the other side needs to come back quicker than the guy on the same side). But Prosie was exactly where he needs to be and keep going from there as it was more a "roll-out" type play with RW doing his thing.

I bet he just didn't realize it, reacted on instinct and past training

Rookie and QB does it in September you have to live with it and correct it going forward
Rookie and QB does it in January - somebody gets a serious talking too

Seafan

Reaction score
Both of RWs TOs are fixable. Doubt they happen like that again. But they had an impact on the game.

OP
OP
E

erik2690

Reaction score
Bobblehead":31a5cb54 said:
Crizilla":31a5cb54 said:
I don't like this thread title

haha.. yeah I opened it with a little trepidation, myself.

Oh. whoops, that genuinely wasn't intentional. Weird that the association didn't pop into my head when I made it.