The Worst Offensive Performance in NFL History?

dogorama

Reaction score
Getting ready to play the Rams this weekend reminds me of a game in the Kingdome 37 years ago. I don't think it's the last Seattle Seahawks - LA Rams game I saw but it is the one that sticks in my mind because as much as I hate to admit it, I was there that day.

"Minus 7 yards: The Seahawks and the worst offensive performance in NFL history"

That's right you spoiled prima donna Seahawks fans (me), we hold the shameful distinction of the worst offensive performance in the entire history of the NFL. LOL (I don't know why I find it so funny but I have been cracking up the whole time I'm writing this.)

However, on this day, Seattle looked like absolute shit. Although in their favor, they only turned the ball over one time. It could just be a historic anomaly, but it's still in the record books as maybe the most embarrassing anomaly in team history -- and this is a franchise that averaged 5.9 points per game over the first 10 games of the 1992 season.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2013/9/17/473 ... -rams-1979

rjdriver

Reaction score
Remember seeing some sort of documentary short about this a long time ago. I don't remember the game specifically although I was 7 and remember the season well ( Rams went to the Super Bowl that year). I specifically remember Fred Dryer of TV's "Hunter" talking about that game as he was a DE for the Rams at the time. Thanks for the post!

Hairsbredth

Reaction score
Awesome touchdown in the game though. On a broken play the quarterback is almost sacked for a 20 yard loss but manages to escape and throw a touchdown. Maybe the worst offensive output in a game but they were not shut out. :)

RedAlice

Reaction score
Rams certainly had the worst Offensive performance of any team this year, so far. Might even stand as the worst Offense performance of the entire season.

As soon as the Rams do something other than punt, get intercepted or take a knee v Hawks - well, that immediately means you did worse than the Niners.

OP
OP
dogorama

dogorama

Reaction score
Hairsbredth":38c5rg89 said:
Awesome touchdown in the game though. On a broken play the quarterback is almost sacked for a 20 yard loss but manages to escape and throw a touchdown. Maybe the worst offensive output in a game but they were not shut out. :)

We lost 24 - zip

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
dogorama":2xi2wf2r said:
Hairsbredth":2xi2wf2r said:

We lost 24 - zip

I was about to say... must have been a fantasy touchdown or one heck of a doobie!

kev007

Reaction score
:greetingsearthling: fellow 12's!

Actually this game was 37 years ago, back on November 4 1979.

The stats are amazing - Rams 29 First Downs, Seahawks 1.

Yards rushing - Rams 303 Seahawks 23

Yards passing - Rams 194 Seahawks -30.

Pass attempts / completions - Rams 20/30, Seahawks 2/17 (both passes were caught by Steve Largent)

Don't think we will see similar stats tomorrow!

Go 'Hawks

Kev

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
That Ram team in 79 was in the Superb Owl and lost to Pittsburgh. I was rooting for them and watched that game. I liked the Seahawks then, but as a kid, even liking the home team, when they sucked that bad ya always had to find another team to root for in post season. I rooted for the Rams because of their awesome unis and cuz they were the only nearby (relatively speaking) NFC team that was any good as the niners sucked ass in the 70s.

sutz

Reaction score
I was living in SoCal and I remember watching that game with my in-laws, a bunch of Rams fans. :(

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
This game happened in 1979 dogorama, not 1992 so 37 years ago.

"The Seahawks total offense that day was -7 yards, the worst performance that the league has ever seen. They gained one first down all game long and never made it past their own 42 yard line."

That is the very definition of offensive ineptitude folks.

evergreen

Reaction score
It was all the sacks of Zorn, that got us the negative yards.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
I also was in attendance...a day of Seahawk Infamy.
We finally got a 1st down, Zorn to Largent in the 3rd quarter. I stayed til the end. Worst game ever. We almost put up as much fight as the Huskies opponents so far this year.

OP
OP
dogorama

dogorama

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1u82p9d8 said:

"The Seahawks total offense that day was -7 yards, the worst performance that the league has ever seen. They gained one first down all game long and never made it past their own 42 yard line."

It appears late-night posts don't do anything for my math skills, thanks, though, now I feel really old. LOL.

Having said that, you are not far behind me, 27 years years ago would be 1989, not 1992.

OP
OP
dogorama

dogorama

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":20oquhns said:

Yes I know it was '79, like I said, I was there and suffered through the entire debacle. The worst part of that game was that my father-in-law got us really good seats through a real estate crony of his. I felt bad for him because not only did he want to impress me w/the seats, but he genuinely wanted me to have a good time as I was a young businessman working seven days a week trying to keep my business afloat in a bad economy. He was actually apologizing to me by the end of the game, poor guy.

We both were excited to go to the game though because, like everyone in Seattle, we were excited that we were finally turning into a bona-fide NFL team after the terrible first expansion years. In fact, like the article states, we ended up being 9-7, the same record the Rams went to the Super Bowl with. I still remember shaking my head at the thought that I only got to go to one game all season and it turns out to be the worst offensive performance in NFL history.

Mick063

Reaction score
Doesn't Seattle hold the record for second worst as well?

Anyone remember Stan Gelbaugh?

Gelbaugh joined the Seahawks for the 1992 season, planning to be the third-string quarterback behind Dan McGwire and Kelly Stouffer.[His first appearance came in relief of McGwire in week 7 against the Dallas Cowboys, but he threw an interception that was returned for a touchdown, and the Seahawks lost 27-0. With McGwire on injured reserve and Stouffer injured, Gelbaugh got the start the following week against the Los Angeles Raiders, but the Seahawks were shut out for the second consecutive week. He started the next two games, both Seahawks losses, while waiting for Stouffer to return from his shoulder injury

OP
OP
dogorama

dogorama

Reaction score
LudwigsDrummer":378ltza4 said:
I also was in attendance...a day of Seahawk Infamy.
We finally got a 1st down, Zorn to Largent in the 3rd quarter. I stayed til the end. Worst game ever. We almost put up as much fight as the Huskies opponents so far this year.

Funny, it was a long time ago, and in my faded memory, I thought it was the Stealers that we lost to until my memory came back to me reading that article last night. Like other things in my life, there are things you don't want to remember. Maybe it was because we were all excited to have an NFL franchise and when the Stealers first came to Seattle they asked the great Jack Lambert what he thought of them after the game, "actually I thought they were pretty bad" he said. I remember reading that in the paper and being disappointed because I played LB almost my entire football career and was crushed because I admired him so much. I don't know what I expected him to say, but I was hoping it would be a little more diplomatic than that. Everyone in Seattle wanted the team to be for real and we were all starving for any kind of recognition.

Anyway, the game was just horrible, I kept waiting for them to do something, anything, but it never happened.

BTW, love your avatar, Bonzo is my all-time favorite rock and roll hero as I am a former untalented drummer. It is totally understandable why Zep folded after his death. It just wouldn't have been the same.