Just got home from the Coliseum - Quick post game thoughts

Utah_hawk

Reaction score
Just got back from the game. What a heart breaker... Sucked to witness that at the end live. Thought we were going to witness another game winning drive. Anyway... I digress:

- Offense was horrid. It was painful to watch Russ hobbling about the field. Russ missed a would-be TD in the 1st half when he threw that bomb to Lockette (Willson was WIDE open running a seam).

- LA fans are horrible. There was a rams fan behind me who yelled on our game winning drive, "it's a two possession game, we got this!" The rams fans in front of us were looking at their phone 80% of the time.

- I didn't realize how close USC was to some very sketch areas. We parked about a quarter of a mile west of the campus, and it was not the safest of areas.

- Didn't realize until after the game that Rawls left the game injured. Looked like Michael was running the ball better than Rawls throughout the game anyway.

Sucked to spend a whole bunch of $$ on the game for that outcome, but it was awesome to cheer with fellow 12s. We represented well and made up ~20% of the fans there I'd say.

Go hawks

tacomahawk

Reaction score
This game really made you appreciate what we have at the Clink. I was so excited to see the Coloseum, got to our seats, there was puke all over them. It took the pregame, through first quarter, and talking to three supervisors to finally get it cleaned up. 20 minutes after that, the Wife decided she wanted French fries, and water. I did not get back till the beginning of the fourth quarter because of the line, and the entire stadium was sold out of water. How the hell do you sell out of water when it is almost 90 degrees.

I was very disappointed in our team, but more disappointed in the atmosphere and hospitality.

OP
OP
U

Utah_hawk

Reaction score
tacomahawk":2d4btlmg said:
This game really made you appreciate what we have at the Clink. I was so excited to see the Coloseum, got to our seats, there was puke all over them. It took the pregame, through first quarter, and talking to three supervisors to finally get it cleaned up. 20 minutes after that, the Wife decided she wanted French fries, and water. I did not get back till the beginning of the fourth quarter because of the line, and the entire stadium was sold out of water. How the hell do you sell out of water when it is almost 90 degrees.

I was very disappointed in our team, but more disappointed in the atmosphere and hospitality.

I agree... The venue was a $hithole, but I wasn't expecting anything new different due to its age. I also faced ridiculously long lines for concessions. Hospitality was fine IMO - some douche bags, other fans nice. Honestly I felt uneasy walking with my wife to and from my car west of campus.

Seeing the Red hot chili peppers live was entertaining at the beginning!

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I was at a sports bar for the game. No puke but numerous millenials going into the one holer to do coke with their bf, rawring out, hitting on random ppl of both sexes and worse if all...

Wrecking my hawks view. It was only on one tv. The sound was also drowned by them.

THey had no idea the Hawks were playing, that the Rams were back in la, and doubtful they knew the 49ers lost in the am

RedAlice

Reaction score
Utah_hawk":t2ef3qgo said:
Just got back from the game. What a heart breaker... Sucked to witness that at the end live. Thought we were going to witness another game winning drive. Anyway... I digress:

- Offense was horrid. It was painful to watch Russ hobbling about the field. Russ missed a would-be TD in the 1st half when he threw that bomb to Lockette (Willson was WIDE open running a seam).

- LA fans are horrible. There was a rams fan behind me who yelled on our game winning drive, "it's a two possession game, we got this!" The rams fans in front of us were looking at their phone 80% of the time.

- I didn't realize how close USC was to some very sketch areas. We parked about a quarter of a mile west of the campus, and it was not the safest of areas.

- Didn't realize until after the game that Rawls left the game injured. Looked like Michael was running the ball better than Rawls throughout the game anyway.

Sucked to spend a whole bunch of $$ on the game for that outcome, but it was awesome to cheer with fellow 12s. We represented well and made up ~20% of the fans there I'd say.

Go hawks

All of the Hawk fans I met at the game were great - and I interacted with a lot of them before the game. None were by me in my section, which surprised me.

I'd put 20% at high, there were way less Hawk fans than I expected.

LA fans are a different type it seems. Us diehards though were also everywhere and act like fans should. I also was beyond annoyed at the girls in front of me on their phones the whole game. One told me to "be quiet" as I was HURTING her ears. I therefore continued to yell even louder when Rams fans should be yelling and directed my high pitch to her ears. She left a lot, thank god. Her chair made a nice foot rest for me.

It's not disputable that the Coliseum is a less than desirable NFL game location. But, it is what we have to endure until our actual stadium is built in 2019. Do not for one second think any one thinks this is ideal. It's all worth it though - it's not in St. Louis after all. :irishdrinkers:

USC is in one of the worst areas of LA that exists. You should not plan to have to be in any area ever around that stadium.

TWO more years of coming to our interim home if you plan to go see the Hawks. Know these things in advance.

RastaHawk12!

Reaction score
I went as well.

The Rams fans I met were ok. Good sports all around. Everyone (including us) seemed pretty happy that we have a true NFC West.

I've been to that shithole of a stadium before for Duck games. Man... it is a pile. State-of-the-art stadiums like The Clink, Santa Clara, and Arizona certainly make the experience nicer. As has been said, lines for a $15 beer and bathrooms were ridiculous. What's worse is that the stairs entering the stadium run straight into a concession line that has the entire entrance blocked off. Concourses were blocked by lines, etc. I thought the Q (San Diego) was the worst, but the Lambs new dump takes the cake until their new one gets built.

On a bright note, seahawks.com posted a picture of me and my family as we were watching warm-ups.

14359040_10207428284450118_2660695455289519906_n.jpg

Otherwise, unbelievably disappointed with our O-line. I knew with the Rams front 7 and our line it would be tight. Then... it looked like we might see a little Russell magic again... shortly before Christine's butter got the best of his fingers. Bummer.

Oh, and the neighborhoods are sketchy. I always park south of the stadium in a sketch neighborhood. The residents hold signs to park in their yard and it's about half to a third the cost of the public parking areas. Never have had a problem and the people are always pretty cool.

There is virtually NO crowd noise. Now and then, there was. But never anything even in the sphere of The Clink. We could have a normal conversation at any time.

I'll go every year, but am looking forward to Kroenke's new venue!

BullHawk33

Reaction score
I would like to give my sincerest thanks to all the Seahawks fans that attended the game in Los Angeles. Hearing SEA HAWKS over the audio was awesome.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Thanks to those at the game who posted. It's interesting to hear what the atmosphere is like at those visiting venues.

RastaHawk12!

Reaction score
BullHawk33":3iw2z52q said:
I would like to give my sincerest thanks to all the Seahawks fans that attended the game in Los Angeles. Hearing SEA HAWKS over the audio was awesome.

Haha... our chants were louder than theirs! :lol:

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
RastaHawk12!":3johnjtz said:
BullHawk33":3johnjtz said:

Did you guys use speakers to amplify your sound??? LOL

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I was there.

Brutally hot, stadium ran out of water in the first half. Getting into the stadium was a mess. The concession situation was a disaster. I assume fans were generally okay, but people were definitely getting harassed in my section. Definitely wouldn't have felt comfortable bringing a family to that environment -- a lot of profanities and borderline threats being thrown about . To be fair, both LA and SEA fans looked upset about the rowdy folks who were ruining it for everyone. And there were plenty of nice folks who were pleasant and just came to enjoy the game as well.

RastaHawk12!

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":1xhkjzyh said:
RastaHawk12!":1xhkjzyh said:
BullHawk33":1xhkjzyh said:

Did you guys use speakers to amplify your sound??? LOL

12's don't use speakers... ;)

RedAlice

Reaction score
One pleasant surprise that I didn't know about until yesterday - my seats are in the only small bit of shade that exists in the stadium. Only a few of us have them.

So, didn't have to suffer in the sun all game.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Man, wish I could have gone. The last time I was at the Coliseum (for an NFL game) was the 1983 AFCCG between the Raiders and Seahawks. What a heart breaker. The fans back then were fine, but the area around the Coliseum and USC were, and still are, notoriously dangerous.

During the mid-80's, that area was home to the first Crips gangs ever. The infamous "Rollin' 40's" and "Hoover Crips" gangs were right there by the Coliseum (it's also where Seattle's most dangerous gang, the " 74 Hoover Crips" originated). Freeway Rick, the man responsible for bringing crack cocaine to LA and the rest of the USA, was part of this gang and operated in that area. There were regular muggings, rapes, and acts of gang violence against USC students, and football fans on their way to games.

That's what I think about and remember when I visit the Coliseum - during the 80's, LA's only response to a spiraling crack epidemic was to turn their back on addicts and the neighborhoods they lived in, letting them struggle and die in the streets like animals, while cops brutalized citizens and criminals alike if they had the misfortune of living in that neighborhood. There were numerous cases of the LAPD mishandling crimes in the USC area, which didn't change until some rich kids started getting killed. Thank god Darryl Gates and his racist supporters in City Hall were finally booted from the city in disgrace after the Rodney King riots. It was then that the city finally changed its policies, and the crime and drug problems have diminished dramatically since then. It's still a problem, but not nearly as bad.

Point of all that rambling: yes, the area around the Coliseum is notoriously bad, and has been since the mid-70's. If you go there, be smart and keep your head on a swivel. You're a lot safer today, but it's still dangerous.

RastaHawk12!

Reaction score
HansGruber":39kbro13 said:
Point of all that rambling: yes, the area around the Coliseum is notoriously bad, and has been since the mid-70's. If you go there, be smart and keep your head on a swivel. You're a lot safer today, but it's still dangerous.

Yeah.. I've parked there three times and never had any issues, but I'd think twice before a night game. I've got a lot of experience with the demographic and found that respect given equals respect returned.

OP
OP
U

Utah_hawk

Reaction score
HansGruber":3sqtsaf9 said:

Didn't realize it was that bad back in the day... Yikes. Having just moved to LA, I'm amazed by how much of the metropolitan area is covered by the blight. I wonder why the Rams don't play at the rose bowl... Anywho, I'll probably go again next year, because ticket prices for the new stadium will be egregious.

Did anyone else who went to the game think the red hot chili peppers sounded awful live? Also it was funny when the crowd boo'd the $*** out of the LA mayor haha.