People who are giving Christine Michael grief

Geologic

Reaction score
Would you have given the same amount of grief if Russell Wilson fumbled or threw an interception to seal the game? Like in Superbowl 49?

:stirthepot:

He played fine. If anything, Pete should have ran him more then Thomas (-1 YPC) Rawls. He at least kept the run game honest. You're all too used to Marshawn Lynch.

SirTed

Reaction score
Actually, I've been pleasantly surprised by how even keeled most have been about the fumble.

Dude was fighting for the first down. Bummer play, but he definitely gets a pass there.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It's Bevell's fault.

Michael has a history of fumbling, so that may have something to do with it. He also has to be told twice what the play is and is still having problems getting lined up properly in pass pro.................which is why Wilson kept running the clock down to zero trying to get everyone in position, mostly Michael switching sides.

Bottom line is yeah Michael had a great spring, and good end to last year. Hell, he should have probably played against the Panthers over Lynch. But dude is still making some of the same mistakes we cut him over. Fumbling happens, but when you're trying to establish yourself as a feature back? Can't happen, it just can't.

Rat

Reaction score
Apples and Oranges. Russ has built up years of goodwill with the fans with countless phenomenal performances.

Michael has not done that. He has mostly been a huge disappointment, and has given nowhere near the production that would be expected for a second round pick.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
That hit by Ogletree to punch the ball out from CM, even after CM went down with his back to protect from it, was a phenomenal play by Ogletree. That aside though, CM went something like 10 for 60, right? Dang - not bad!

Do agree that he looked confused about a few of the huddle calls, interrupted RW a couple times seemingly to ask clarication.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":27rmr4t8 said:
That hit by Ogletree to punch the ball out from CM, even after CM went down with his back to protect from it, was a phenomenal play by Ogletree. That aside though, CM went something like 10 for 60, right? Dang - not bad!

Do agree that he looked confused about a few of the huddle calls, interrupted RW a couple times seemingly to ask clarication.

Gee tweeted out that Russell was literally having to tell Michael the play twice in the huddle seemingly every down..........then still having to move him in pass pro.

So not sure what the problem is, but it's definitely contributing to the offense sputtering. Hard to get your tempo going when Russell not only has the spend the entire play clock moving people around, but probably can't trust your RB to do the right thing.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1cy4t9w0 said:
LeftHandSmoke":1cy4t9w0 said:

Gee tweeted out that Russell was literally having to tell Michael the play twice in the huddle seemingly every down..........then still having to move him in pass pro.

So not sure what the problem is, but it's definitely contributing to the offense sputtering. Hard to get your tempo going when Russell not only has the spend the entire play clock moving people around, but probably can't trust your RB to do the right thing.

That has to make it hard on Russ for reading coverages and protections when he's concentrating on getting Michael lined up. Maybe the kid just isn't all that bright. At this point, you would think he would have it down.

That said, I haven't seen one featured RB that has never fumbled. It happens.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I would argue Michael was arguably our best player yesterday and responsible for most of our offense. He's been fine.

Ozzy

Reaction score
He's also been very good in pass protection and when you're on the road in the first home game its going to be loud and RB/QB communication is usually like that. Quit picking on CMike. :)

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Whatever happened in camp and the rest of the game, fact of the matter is that in that situation you need to be conscious of ball security because a turnover is game over.

And a turnover was game over.

Who turned it over?

Michael did.

The game was over because Michael failed to secure the ball.

I mean whatever else you think about him is moot and you never want to be in a game like that where one mistake will end it. But it was.

So, I mean, he's not the worst player of all time but he quite literally 'dropped the ball', which sealed the defeat.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
I wish Michael would have understood the situation better and dropped to the ground, rather than try to split two tacklers, but I can appreciate the effort.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Rat":23ttmpfg said:
Apples and Oranges. Russ has built up years of goodwill with the fans with countless phenomenal performances.

Michael has not done that. He has mostly been a huge disappointment, and has given nowhere near the production that would be expected for a second round pick.

This is very true, however Michael is seriously trying to improve his game and played well yesterday with 6 yds /carry average.

The fumble was unfortunate, it ended a promising drive but the team was doing diddly otherwise.

cheese22

Reaction score
Anyone who has sat in a film room watching a loss can say that it's not the last play that wins or loses a game. Although it's usually 90% of what the media spew about.

The bottom line(s) is that we should have NEVER been in that situation to begin with. Bevell was horrible the entire game. Our line got beat up. But to blame CM for the loss is a copout and a quick reaction without looking at the entire game. Last I checked, a game is 4 fifteen minute quarters not 2 minutes.

One last thing, most coaches will tell you that they can live with physical mistakes. It's the mental mistakes that give you gray hair. CM, for all his past mistakes, did a pretty good job protecting the ball. He wasn't careless with it and it wasn't a mental issue. It was a great play by the defender.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
This idiot whiffed on some blocks that he has to make. None of his teammates help him up off the ground after a run because he is an asshole.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Exactly.

The model of screwing around for 3 quarters trying to feint and jab, but not really landing any punches - screwed us.

Because in the 4th quarter we really did not get the ball back that much, a few bad calls happened (and they do). If you leave yourself in a position for someone to make a mistake and that keeps you from winning? Well, refs and coaches are people that make mistakes too, so you assured that one fumble or bad call wins the game for the other guy.

Of course, a fumble when up by 14? Not as much an issue.

I don't think that our OC purposely avoids trying for 3 quarters, I think he comes in with a gameplan, tries to force it for 3 quarters, does minor adjustments and then when it does not work - goes into panic mode and starts focusing on doing what is necessary to get in the EZ. By then, however, it is often too late or like yesterday easily derailed.

Watch a game where we get behind a few scores, scrap our gameplan and then come roaring back to see what I mean.

Either way, failing on a final drive because we could not bother to succeed beforehand is more on the coaching staff and less on the one guy trying to make the first down to offset our OC's idiocy.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
First, this is a bit of a straw-man. He has gotten shockingly little criticism for that fumble.

Second, what I hope to eventually see from Michael, is him making plays when it really matters. Getting 9 when we need 7, not just 7 when we need 9. Making an explosive play to seal a victory. Scoring a go-ahead TD from outside the 10. Stuff like that. Not to say he can't do it, but that's still out there for him to accomplish. Being able to secure the ball on that catch in the redzone was an opportunity that he didn't capitalize on. There's no two ways about that. Of course, everyone fumbles, but "great" players will make that particular play.

Latest posts