Marsh Facemask

Hawks46

Reaction score
This isn't going to make me popular, but why is everyone so bent over this ?

Maybe someone can explain it to me. I see it like this: Marsh had his fingers inside the facemask. He didn't pull Keenum down by it, but they were there. In the old days, it would've been a 5 yard incidental.

Here's the rub for me: You. Can't. Touch. A. QB's. Head. Like, Ever....!

You just can't. If it's not a face mask, it's definitely a hands to the head of the QB. It's still the same personal foul penalty.

I am personally more pissed about the 3 helmet to helmets I watched on Wilson that went uncalled. If some Rams' DLman had his hands in Wilson's facemask like that, we'd all think he was trying to be dirty. It was a penalty either way.

2_0_6

Reaction score
I agree, but what bugs me is how when a QB ducks down his head right in the path of the defender who is going for the midsection or shoulder area. You cant hit high, you cant go near the knees, and this type of incidental contact is pretty much unavoidable when guys are running at each other at full speed.

It sucks no matter how you dice it. Im sure we will benefit in the future with calls like this against Russ.

2_0_6

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":3rba2dbm said:
Grabbing the facemask is not a penalty, as long as you don't twist/turn/yank. Marsh did none of those things.

Actually, yes it is. Pretty much contact of any kind to the head on a QB SHOULD get a penalty.

Maybe not if your name is Russell or Cam.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
Hawks46":14n3teha said:
This isn't going to make me popular, but why is everyone so bent over this ?

Maybe someone can explain it to me. I see it like this: Marsh had his fingers inside the facemask. He didn't pull Keenum down by it, but they were there. In the old days, it would've been a 5 yard incidental.

Here's the rub for me: You. Can't. Touch. A. QB's. Head. Like, Ever....!

You just can't. If it's not a face mask, it's definitely a hands to the head of the QB. It's still the same personal foul penalty.

I am personally more pissed about the 3 helmet to helmets I watched on Wilson that went uncalled. If some Rams' DLman had his hands in Wilson's facemask like that, we'd all think he was trying to be dirty. It was a penalty either way.

Exactly. I'm not saying it would be easy to avoid, but sometimes appearance is everything, and before the replay, it looked like a facemask to me too.

Seymour

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":3bk4scfr said:
Grabbing the facemask is not a penalty, as long as you don't twist/turn/yank. Marsh did none of those things.

The helmet moved a bit down as he hit the mask, could have just been normal movement but enough to get called also. Either way he had the guy and should have just closed to a fist so no call could be made.

CPHawk

Reaction score
It was the OPI I had way more issues with.

TwilightError

Reaction score
I understood that any touch of the fingers to the facemask is a penalty? Then it was a penalty, even though it was just an accident with no intention of grabbing the mask. Just bad luck.

2_0_6

Reaction score
TwilightError":362yo5vk said:
I understood that any touch of the fingers to the facemask is a penalty? Then it was a penalty, even though it was just an accident with no intention of grabbing the mask. Just bad luck.

This is what I thought as well.

2_0_6

Reaction score
I would be willing to bet that if a ref sees fingers go in or even touches a QBs mask then he/she throws a flag at least 95 times out of 100

2_0_6

Reaction score
Every helmet to helmet call is to be called and we know how that has gone so far.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I hate it when refs throw a flag when it's obvious they didn't 'definitively' see the penalty occur and just assumed. If you're gonna throw a flag for a face mask, you better be 100% sure you saw the defender YANK that face mask with a fair bit of force.

StoneCold

Reaction score
I saw him pull the helmet down. I don't think he had the face mask I think his fingers were inside the helmet. Someone needs to post a gif so we can see what were arguing about. There is one shot from the broadcast where Marsh is almost overshooting Keenum, has his hand on his helmet and you can see he tugs at the helmet, not a lot, but if it was Russell I'd want the call.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
StoneCold":39kldhim said:
I saw him pull the helmet down. I don't think he had the face mask I think his fingers were inside the helmet. Someone needs to post a gif so we can see what were arguing about. There is one shot from the broadcast where Marsh is almost overshooting Keenum, has his hand on his helmet and you can see he tugs at the helmet, not a lot, but if it was Russell I'd want the call.

This is what I saw as well. There was a turn of the helmet, not much, but it was there.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It's an awareness thing.

Marsh HAS to know once his hand gets on that helmet or facemask to let go, cause the refs are going to call it.

It was 3rd and long, no reason at all to risk that sort of penalty, ticky tack or not. I know it's hard to let go once you're on the verge of getting the biggest sack of the game, but that just can't happen.

But again, like Michael's fumble, it was just how the Hawk's day was going. Every great play or series was followed by a fumble, stupid penalty or big pass play given up to let the Ram's off the hook.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
ChiefHawk":2ni0fqyy said:
They will call facemask whenever any fingers go into the facemask.

Penetration, however slight, is sufficient to complete the offense.

Must. Not. Make. Shack. Type. Comment.

Giggidy.

seahawksny

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":2fkjfv7p said:

Doesnt matter
It LOOKED like a penalty and thats all that matters. whether it was or not is not the issue.
Reality is..... In today's version of the NFL.........IT WILL BE CALLED EVERY DAY AND TWICE ON SUNDAY- no pun there.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
OkieHawk":3a4ei8hc said:
ChiefHawk":3a4ei8hc said:
They will call facemask whenever any fingers go into the facemask.

Penetration, however slight, is sufficient to complete the offense.

Must. Not. Make. Shack. Type. Comment.

Giggidy.

It's only an offense if it's unwelcomed, right? Asking for a friend.

JimmyG

Reaction score
fenderbender123":rzq30nwp said:
I hate it when refs throw a flag when it's obvious they didn't 'definitively' see the penalty occur and just assumed. If you're gonna throw a flag for a face mask, you better be 100% sure you saw the defender YANK that face mask with a fair bit of force.
The whole point of face mask penalties is player safety. Of course they are going to err on the side of protecting the player.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
A very ticky-tack penalty that took away great defensive play.