Dear Russell Wilson

kf3339

Reaction score
Hello young warrior!

All of us admire how you gutted it out last Sunday on a bad leg. You did us all proud even in a loss. It wasn't your fault at all.

But I do want to make two observations:

1. You still hold the ball too long at times looking for the big play when the safer bet is to throw it away and go onto the next play. It would be great to see that quick passing game you ran the second half of last season again. I know it is difficult with you and the other offensive players who are injured as well. But when healthy I really hope that is the goal again.

2. You are now a five year veteran at the QB position. There is no one behind you that can or will take your job. The only thing holding you back is the play calling. So perhaps you should consider doing what Brett Favre did when faced with the same problem. Just start calling all the plays yourself, or audible out of nearly every call from the sideline. I would trust your instincts over Bevell every time. Sometimes he is right, but more often than not he is just wrong. You have the smarts to do this. I believe in you!

PC will not bench you. DB's opinion will not matter. Paul Allen will not complain. If he hasn't by now, nothing is going to make him force any issue on the field. So just take over the game.

YOU are the leader. Become that guy and lead the team. Trust your instincts.

Sincerely,

A very grateful fan!

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Point #2 is spot on.

Point #1, if you hold onto the ball too long waiting for a big play to develop then throw it away when it doesn't, how would it be better to just throw it away in the first place? If you never wait for a long play to develop, then obviously it never will. When it doesn't develop, it's six of one and half a dozen of the other. When it sometimes does, it's magic.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
For me, I would have been happy to see him sit out the LA game.

Made no sense for him to be there. Sacrifice 1-2 games, let the backup try to win it, but keep the damned QB off his injured ankle so he could both get sleep and heal properly.

He will be of no use to us if he is at 60% the whole year. And the only way we get him to full recovery is rest and rehab, not throwing him out there week after week while injured for more punishment.

Better to have him healthy in the playoffs than gimpy all year but in every game all year.

OP
OP
K

kf3339

Reaction score
GeekHawk":1kk6evjb said:
Point #2 is spot on.

Point #1, if you hold onto the ball too long waiting for a big play to develop then throw it away when it doesn't, how would it be better to just throw it away in the first place? If you never wait for a long play to develop, then obviously it never will. When it doesn't develop, it's six of one and half a dozen of the other. When it sometimes does, it's magic.

You make a valid point about when or when not to hold the ball. I just think it should be based on his own play call decisions, as opposed to sideline decisions. My post really was more about point 2 so thank you for that!

OP
OP
K

kf3339

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":tvs4q4tj said:
For me, I would have been happy to see him sit out the LA game.

Made no sense for him to be there. Sacrifice 1-2 games, let the backup try to win it, but keep the damned QB off his injured ankle so he could both get sleep and heal properly.

He will be of no use to us if he is at 60% the whole year. And the only way we get him to full recovery is rest and rehab, not throwing him out there week after week while injured for more punishment.

Better to have him healthy in the playoffs than gimpy all year but in every game all year.

That is a very good statement and would have preferred him rest. But with a very raw rookie QB I would rather take my chances with RW.

I honestly thought they should have brought back TJ as the backup and under that condition would have been glad to let him start that game. But what do I know.....

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
I agree with both major points of the letter. He's got to get rid of the ball quicker and throw it away after his reads if everyone's covered. Since he can't scramble right now he needs to have a simpler approach.

And make sure to send the letter certified delivery directly to Wilson and not c/o Darrell Bevell or else it could be shredded!

OP
OP
K

kf3339

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":356q7lqp said:
I agree with both major points of the letter. He's got to get rid of the ball quicker and throw it away after his reads if everyone's covered. Since he can't scramble right now he needs to have a simpler approach.

And make sure to send the letter certified delivery directly to Wilson and not c/o Darrell Bevell or else it could be shredded!

PM me his address and I will. In fact I will fly there and hand it to him personally. :2thumbs:

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
So you want him to call all his own plays like the great Favre, the guy that threw a record 336 interceptions had 73 fumbles and an unmatched 13-11 playoff record? There would be 30 "Russ has got to go" threads if he started chucking gunslinger picks.

Zorn76

Reaction score
kf3339":3m96bqy5 said:
Hello young warrior!

All of us admire how you gutted it out last Sunday on a bad leg. You did us all proud even in a loss. It wasn't your fault at all.

But I do want to make two observations:

1. You still hold the ball too long at times looking for the big play when the safer bet is to throw it away and go onto the next play. It would be great to see that quick passing game you ran the second half of last season again. I know it is difficult with you and the other offensive players who are injured as well. But when healthy I really hope that is the goal again.

2. You are now a five year veteran at the QB position. There is no one behind you that can or will take your job. The only thing holding you back is the play calling. So perhaps you should consider doing what Brett Favre did when faced with the same problem. Just start calling all the plays yourself, or audible out of nearly every call from the sideline. I would trust your instincts over Bevell every time. Sometimes he is right, but more often than not he is just wrong. You have the smarts to do this. I believe in you!

PC will not bench you. DB's opinion will not matter. Paul Allen will not complain. If he hasn't by now, nothing is going to make him force any issue on the field. So just take over the game.

YOU are the leader. Become that guy and lead the team. Trust your instincts.

Sincerely,

A very grateful fan!

Well said.

Pete's loyalty go his coaches is admirable, but completely misplaced when it comes to Bevell.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The big plays from the opening game that allowed the team to win were unscripted plays from RW and Baldwin. In short nothing called by Bevell has resulted in a TD over 2 games. Point 2 thus has legitimacy.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Russ would consider your letter "outside noise" from a misinformed fan, crumple it up and use it as toilet paper.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Regarding point #1.

Per Sheil Kapadia.
http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-se...son-getting-rid-of-the-ball-quicker-than-ever

"According to ESPN Stats & Information, Wilson is releasing the ball on average in 2.33 seconds, which is ninth-fastest in the NFL. Last year, that number was 2.67 (32nd). In fact, he's never finished higher than 32nd in release time since entering the league.
After watching all of Wilson's throws from Sunday again, I came away thinking he played a very smart game. When plays didn't materialize, he threw the ball away. When he escaped pressure, he made sure to slide rather than chance it for a few extra yards. And even with those precautions, he still was hit nine times and sacked twice."

OP
OP
K

kf3339

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3h5myw3s said:
P.S. Favre never called his own plays.

WRONG! I have heard interviews from Viking players from that time in which they stated he called his own plays in the huddle. You don't know what your talking about at all. I even heard Favre on two occassions state he would change the plays that came into the huddle from Bevell.

OP
OP
K

kf3339

Reaction score
StoneCold":2jercf4t said:
Should have just said "Fire Bevell" Sheesh.

Nowhere did I say any such thing. My comments were to Wilson; not Bevell.

OP
OP
K

kf3339

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1lb8jsvg said:
Russ would consider your letter "outside noise" from a misinformed fan, crumple it up and use it as toilet paper.

Or he would consider it a fair comment from a fan, and appreciate the thought. Neither of us has insight on his thought process. Just as he could easily print out your comment, crumple it up and use it as toilet paper as well.

OP
OP
K

kf3339

Reaction score
lobohawk":yke77gmf said:
Regarding point #1.

Per Sheil Kapadia.
http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-se...son-getting-rid-of-the-ball-quicker-than-ever

"According to ESPN Stats & Information, Wilson is releasing the ball on average in 2.33 seconds, which is ninth-fastest in the NFL. Last year, that number was 2.67 (32nd). In fact, he's never finished higher than 32nd in release time since entering the league.
After watching all of Wilson's throws from Sunday again, I came away thinking he played a very smart game. When plays didn't materialize, he threw the ball away. When he escaped pressure, he made sure to slide rather than chance it for a few extra yards. And even with those precautions, he still was hit nine times and sacked twice."

I didn't say his average was bad. I just said he still holds the ball too long on certain occassions. That is still true IMO. You can certainly disagree.

Latest posts