Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats

dogorama

Reaction score
It's called a SWOT analysis. What do companies and organizations do when they get off track? They bring in consultants and while it could be said that there are no consultants more knowledgeable than what we have, that is not the point. Sometimes you become so embroiled in what you are doing that you lose objectivity and need another point of view.

There is no salary cap on coaches, you can have 500 coaches if you want. Given that we have unlimited resources w/the wealthiest owner in the league I would be shopping for the best pass blocking minds available and I wouldn't stop there. Nobody available? For the right price, there is always somebody available.

Sounds far-fetched? It would not surprise me to find that they've already done this.

Oh! I almost forgot, perform a Seahawk's SWOT analysis.

(no critiquing until the end)

kf3339

Reaction score
This is probably going to be shot down by some, but to your coaching analysis idea I would bring in Mike Holmgren to come up with a more effective in-game play calling strategy. There is probably no one in the game who was better at calling plays than him.

If PC would accept the help it would be a Godsend to this offense. I know it won't happen.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I'm going to assume this pertains to the organization as a whole and try to keep points objective (For example. Bevell as a weakness is subjective though I might try to argue otherwise ;) ):

Strengths:
- Supportive owner with deep pockets who doesn't meddle.
- City who supports team. Stadium which when coupled with support helps create success.
- Coach/GM who work in harmony.
- Great culture for players, coaches, Staff to come to work. State of the art facilities.
-#1 Defense a few years in a row. Manage to keep bulk of them together long term.
- Most of team has won championship, dealt with winning and losing. Most have experience pressure situations and thrived.
-Team who normally "figures it out" when they have errors. Proclivity towards "righting the ship" especially when considering offensive line play. Generally do not see a trend of failure for more than 4-5 games at a time.

Weaknesses:
-Offensive line continuity and level of play and durability.
-Running back position seems unstable with injuries and inconsistent play since Lynch retirement.
- Team often plays poorly until "back is against the wall". Sometimes this is too late to obtain home field or come back from the game. Carolina playoff game was microcosm of last season.
-Drafting may be considered "weak" the last 2-3 years. Very few starters come from draft as they once did.
- Seahawks operate right near the cap maximum. Not a lot of room to add key players as they once were able to in free agency (avril, bennett.ect).
- Penalties. Pete thinks there is a positive correlation to winning. I am not sure this is supported.

It's late so I'll do Opportunities and Threats tomorrow.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
Threats: A fickle portion of the fanbase that panics anytime the team loses or performs suboptimally in a victory which causes another portion of the fanbase to lambaste them as inferior fans leading to increased angst, namecalling, and general idiocy among said portions of the fanbase.

Although, I guess this can be listed as "Other" since it isn't really a threat to anything since it's just a very small, but exceptionally loud and obnoxious number of fans banging on drums and shouting incoherent, rambling thoughts, and cherry picked stats. Unless Pete Carroll has unbeknownst to me, unveiled "Seahawks.NET Rants Wednesdays" into the practice routine, the handwringing is pretty useless.

OP
OP
dogorama

dogorama

Reaction score
JesterHawk":2lnt6kxz said:
Threats: A fickle portion of the fanbase that panics anytime the team loses or performs suboptimally in a victory which causes another portion of the fanbase to lambaste them as inferior fans leading to increased angst, namecalling, and general idiocy among said portions of the fanbase.

Although, I guess this can be listed as "Other" since it isn't really a threat to anything since it's just a very small, but exceptionally loud and obnoxious number of fans banging on drums and shouting incoherent, rambling thoughts, and cherry picked stats. Unless Pete Carroll has unbeknownst to me, unveiled "Seahawks.NET Rants Wednesdays" into the practice routine, the handwringing is pretty useless.

How are you really any different than them when you interject your opinions in a thread that has absolutely nothing to with that?

OkieHawk

Reaction score
JesterHawk":26dgjbcw said:

Instead of this, why not actually write what you perceive to be strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. I'm actually curious as to your opinion on this.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Let me continue from my last post

Opportunities:
-Core of team is locked up long term. Coaches and GMs both received extensions. Continuity is king.
-Division seems to be a great situation. With the Rams moving it cuts travel down. We have fair challenges with STL and SF and great test with AZ. AZ window for greatness is short as they have been "charging the credit card" so to speak.
-Gus Bradley and Dan Quinn may provide opportunity to rejoin Seahawks in the future if they are let go. Both can contribute in different ways.
-Opportunity to get healthy. No one is gone for season on IR (knock on wood). Russ, Ifedi and RBs banged up. Jimmy improving every week. Team will excel when Russ gets full mobility back.
-Opportunity to get Jimmy Graham the ball more- even if covered. The trade will be worth it once Russ throws the ball even when it appears he is covered by one man. Wouldn't recommend double coverage, but he has been highly under-utilized. He's a top 10 player in the game when healthy.
-Team seems to have a level of camaraderie back which was stunted by Harvin/Chancellor issues. Opportunity to grow again as brotherhood.
-JS has managed the cap situations well. They may be able to cut certain players without large cap hits and add new players if under performance becomes rampant.
- Opportunity to improve offensive line play and continuity.

Threats:
- Lost hunger for success by experiencing previous success (human nature)
- Greed/jealous for what others have on team creates discord.
-Pete Carroll some day wants to go back to LA. JS wants to some day go back to GB. Pete Carroll retires without properly trained successor.
-Russell gets hurt because of level of protection. No back up plan.
-Level of play of stars like Earl Thomas regresses with age.
-Rams some day finally get franchise quarterback to go along with elite defense.
-Mega earthquake takes out CLINK or at least causes for major reconstruction costs (I know a little far but still a possible threat).
-Tom Cable moves on and Seahawks have poor offensive line skill and no master ZBS guru to teach it.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
lukerguy":t361htk8 said:
Let me continue from my last post

Opportunities:
-Core of team is locked up long term. Coaches and GMs both received extensions. Continuity is king.
-Division seems to be a great situation. With the Rams moving it cuts travel down. We have fair challenges with STL and SF and great test with AZ. AZ window for greatness is short as they have been "charging the credit card" so to speak.
-Gus Bradley and Dan Quinn may provide opportunity to rejoin Seahawks in the future if they are let go. Both can contribute in different ways.
-Opportunity to get healthy. No one is gone for season on IR (knock on wood). Russ, Ifedi and RBs banged up. Jimmy improving every week. Team will excel when Russ gets full mobility back.
-Opportunity to get Jimmy Graham the ball more- even if covered. The trade will be worth it once Russ throws the ball even when it appears he is covered by one man. Wouldn't recommend double coverage, but he has been highly under-utilized. He's a top 10 player in the game when healthy.
-Team seems to have a level of camaraderie back which was stunted by Harvin/Chancellor issues. Opportunity to grow again as brotherhood.
-JS has managed the cap situations well. They may be able to cut certain players without large cap hits and add new players if under performance becomes rampant.
- Opportunity to improve offensive line play and continuity.

Threats:
- Lost hunger for success by experiencing previous success (human nature)
- Greed/jealous for what others have on team creates discord.
-Pete Carroll some day wants to go back to LA. JS wants to some day go back to GB. Pete Carroll retires without properly trained successor.
-Russell gets hurt because of level of protection. No back up plan.
-Level of play of stars like Earl Thomas regresses with age.
-Rams some day finally get franchise quarterback to go along with elite defense.
-Mega earthquake takes out CLINK or at least causes for major reconstruction costs (I know a little far but still a possible threat).
-Tom Cable moves on and Seahawks have poor offensive line skill and no master ZBS guru to teach it.

I like how you lay things out. Are you an accountant?

Have to admit that the earthquake scares me. Can we substitute a return of the Beastquake and put it in the "Opportunities" column?

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
I see no loss of Hunger, even the best-paid guys are balling out, just look at that D!

Do agree with this potentially fatal problem: "-Russell gets hurt because of level of protection. No back up plan." - and regardless of how he gets hurt. Boykin would be a serious drop off unless we somehow become a running game powerhouse.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
OkieHawk":m49m0d88 said:
JesterHawk":m49m0d88 said:
Something funny and lighthearted in a forum that apparently can't handle that.

Instead of this, why not actually write what you perceive to be strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. I'm actually curious as to your opinion on this.

Executive Summary: Our strengths, coaching philosophy, and coaching experience all lie in the running game arena. Why would we, after 4 successful seasons under this philosophy, totally change gears and upset the balance and cohesion we have on the coaching staff in an effort to become something we are not? We have injuries at the two most critical positions on the offense. There is no deep dive analysis needed - it's not that complicated. It sucks, but it's not difficult. To win in the NFL, it takes a certain amount of luck and some calculated risks. If everything falls just the wrong way, you won't look good. The alternative is to play it safer and be marginally good at everything. See Also: Rams, Los Angeles, and Fisher, Jeff.

Strengths:
-A really great defense.
-A stable, but not exceptional #2 RB trying to replace one of the greatest Seahawks of all time.
-An offensive line coach that excels in building a strong running game.
-A quarterback who is the best in the league at working behind a run-focused offensive line that offers less than optimal pass blocking.
-Great owner
-Supportive and passionate fanbase

Weaknesses:
-An injured #1 running back.
-An injured quarterback with limited mobility.
-An inexperienced Offensive Line that is focused on the run more than the pass.
-Color rush uniforms.

Opportunities:
-15-1 record is still an option.
-Win the division.
-Superbowl window still open.
-Develop new young talent to compliment experienced veterans.
-Learn how to utilize new / different weapons on offense.

Threats:
-Rams just need a quarterback to be viable (for the 8th year in a row).
-Cardinals are good, dependent on QB health.
-Carolina Panthers
-Green Bay Packers
-New England looking solid again. Could be a difficult rematch.
-Denver Broncos

OP
OP
dogorama

dogorama

Reaction score
STRENGTHS
Ownership
- Well capitalized ownership provides full financial support through facilities and support resources, lends autonomy to admin and coaching staff. Works w/admin to create external affiliation through branding
Administration
- Experienced staff with extensive history of success and innovative processes
Coaching
- World championship legacy coaching staff, works w/admin to create unique progressive culture
Roster
- Core of recent world championship and two-time NFC Champions, multiple pro-bowl players at key positions
- Defense
WEAKNESSES
Ownership
- Potential inability to communicate concerns to admin and coaching staff
Administration
- Player personnel has failed to address key areas of roster
Coaching
- Potential stagnation of coaching philosophy and scheme
Roster
- Key area of roster underperforming to expectations
- Injuries to key players
- Lack of depth in specific groups
- Inability to execute plays that address extreme pass rush (e.g. screens, draws, etc.)
OPPORTUNITIES
Ownership
- Provide support, express concern
Administration
- Investigate opportunities to acquire player personnel
Coaching
- Address specific areas of concern
Roster
- Prioritize personnel needs
- Create timeline for return from injuries
- Cross training to address lack of depth in specific groups
- Incorporate and practice plays that address extreme pass rush (e.g. screens, draws, etc.)
THREATS
Ownership
- Diminished brand value
Administration
- Potential loss of championship window
- Inability to acquire player personnel to address needs
Coaching
- Failure to adjust to opposing team's scheme recognition
- Inability to create change management plan
Roster
- Underperforming unit(s) continue to underperform
- Potential TOP injury exposure to overused defensive unit
- Injured players fail to regain form
- Depth issues

(As you can see I have concentrated on internal issues but other posters have focused exclusively on external threats)

Mojambo

Reaction score
No unit on this team is as consistently unprepared as the offensive line. Personnel keeps changing, but the fundamental unpreparedness remains. The common denominator is Tom Cable.

I'd fire him tomorrow if I could. I'd fire him before Bevell if I could.

OP
OP
dogorama

dogorama

Reaction score
Mojambo":1gksnd8g said:
No unit on this team is as consistently unprepared as the offensive line. Personnel keeps changing, but the fundamental unpreparedness remains. The common denominator is Tom Cable.

I'd fire him tomorrow if I could. I'd fire him before Bevell if I could.

No offense Mojambo, but this is the analysis/solutions thread, here's a link to the "fire Bevell/Cable" thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=128616

chris98251

Reaction score
If we have a weakness it's the stubbornness to not react and adapt quickly. We also have a penchant to try to go bargain on our players when we go after them when we see an issue, sure some is cap related but this philosophy was going on before the second contracts, in support it allowed us to sign the second contracts with many players as well.

This is the dilemma, are those guys playing up to their contracts and if need be could we sign players that can help today and cut the fat so to speak of those not playing to their value.

The two exceptions we have seen is the Harvin and Graham contracts, those were suppose to be tilt the field players and add explosion to our offense. Both are failures as of now.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
kf3339":bvo71twq said:
This is probably going to be shot down by some, but to your coaching analysis idea I would bring in Mike Holmgren to come up with a more effective in-game play calling strategy. There is probably no one in the game who was better at calling plays than him.

If PC would accept the help it would be a Godsend to this offense. I know it won't happen.

So IF Pete knows Defense better than he knows Offense, why wouldn't he want to upgrade?
Does his "Always Compete" only pertain to players?.....Is he expecting Tom Cable to paint a masterpiece using a mop?....Is he afraid that if he brings in someone with O-Line savvy like Mike Holmgren to lend some very expert analysis & advice, that Cable would take it as a slight?
Considering who Mike Holmgren learned from, and the successes that he had wherever he went, I would at the very least, consider giving him a phone call and see if Mike could offer up some insight....Hey, he just might tell him something that he already knows, but what's the harm in asking?
I'm getting a real kick out of the OP's questions, as I was wondering the same damned thing last week.
All I know is, that things aren't gelling fast enough, and Wilson is paying through the nose for the groping in the dark by his Coaches, and the very fact that our O-Line is rated towards the bottom of the whole damned League, someone is missing some much needed advice.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
dogorama":ax2v97tr said:
JesterHawk":ax2v97tr said:

How are you really any different than them when you interject your opinions in a thread that has absolutely nothing to with that?
The existence of this thread presumes the team is in need of help that the present staff cannot provide, and further presumes that posters here are capable of providing a superior analysis than can be provided within the organisational structure of the Seahawks. it has everything to do with the uninformed second-guessing that takes place whenever the team stumbles.