Thought Experiment: Could the Seahawks hang 27 on any team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrt144

Reaction score
So watching the Pats last night, my gears got turning and led me to a burning thought:

Could the Seahawks score 27 points against any NFL team with their current offense and all that entails: Personnel, injuries, scheme, coaching, etc etc. Throw out historical refrence for a moment and think about the current team and the competition that's coming up.

Could the Seahawks score 27 points with their 3rd string QB?

Could the Seahawks score 27 points against a team that doesn't have a good to great D line?

As I mulled over the question I started making a list of teams where it's not beyond belief that they could do this:

Chicago Bears

Okay, now that the list is out of the way, I think the question moves to "What makes an offense capable of overcoming adversity" and I think it comes down to two things: Depth of talent and creativity/inspiration of the OC to work with the abilities and talent of players available. While the Texans played pretty poorly it's not random or a mistake that the Pats are 3-0 without Tom Brady.

While this has been discussed in other threads, it really seems like the Pats racket is getting the best out of what they have while the Seahawks racket is being better at specific things than the opponent that tilt the game in our favor. Essentially we're a finely tuned machine that is limited or enhanced by the oppositions strengths while the Pats are an adaptive machine whose performance seems to not be inhibited by the opponent strengths since they're so damn adaptive.

I don't see this as a source of jealousy but as a source of inspiration - if the Pats can do something well, surely we can glean something from it as well and incorporate parts of it. I'm not saying we have to reinvent the wheel, rather, we should see if we can get some of those design elements from the Pats into our wheel. Maybe throw in a few spokes, add in rubber tires, white walls if we're feeling fancy, who knows?

I admit, there are few things I appreciate more than seeing someone or something learn something and then deploy that knowledge against the very people or thing they picked it up from. Grasshoppers snatching pebbles and all that.

12thbrah

Reaction score
I would have to say no. Last nights Patriots win was a testament again to Belichick's coaching genius and ability to adapt his team to any opponent.

It also proves again that Brady is an overrated system QB who benefited by playing for maybe the greatest coach in NFL history.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
If the opposing team fumbled two kick-off returns, threw a pick and our starting RB rushed for 100 yards+ and 2 TDs, then yes, it would be quite easy to score 27 on any team. I don't care who's playing QB. Brissett barely threw for 100 yards. 100.

I give all credit to Belichick, but this game was won on special teams coaching and Brock Osweiler's incompetence. Not on the basis of their 3rd string QB, who, by the way, is a 3rd round pick (not some undrafted scrub). Besides his long run, Brissett did not make a single play in this game. Am I the only one who saw this?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I would say they have the talent to if we are talking about the Hawks healthy first string, but I'm not going to re-open a can of worms to the reasons I think they won't, as that horse has been beaten to death.

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2r9zlai3 said:
If the opposing team fumbled two kick-off returns, threw a pick and our starting RB rushed for 100 yards+ and 2 TDs, then yes, it would be quite easy to score 27 on any team. I don't care who's playing QB. Brissett barely threw for 100 yards. 100.

I give all credit to Belichick, but this game was won on special teams coaching and Brock Osweiler's incompetence. Not on the basis of their 3rd string QB, who, by the way, is a 3rd round pick (not some undrafted scrub). Besides his long run, Brissett did not make a single play in this game. Am I the only one who saw this?

Their 3rd stringer didn't do anything to imperil the game and actually scored, and it's all they needed. I agree, Osweiler is terrible but...

I'm dubious that the Seahawks, in their current form, would be able to capitalize on other team's turnovers in the same capacity. I don't think the current incarnation could spit out a 100 yard 2 TD performance from our RBs but I can easily see a 100 yard passing game from RW ;)

I'm pessimistic, yes, butI'm absolutely building a strong head of steam towards jubilation if and when we figure it out.

iigakusei

Reaction score
They have won the same amount of Superbowls as us the past 10 years.
And yes - we could.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
If a team turns the ball over twice deep in their own territory on kick off returns like the Texans last night... any team in the league can 'hang 27' on an opponent.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I get more hung up on wins than points. I seriously don't care if we win by 1 or 27.

Ozzy

Reaction score
As much as I would love to see a few blowouts it really doesn't seem to matter and wins are wins. Blowouts don't necessarily predict future success.

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
Well the question isn't "Do you care about wins more than the final score", it's "Given all the factors the Seahawks are dealing with, could they rise to the same output of the Pats when the Texans step on their dicks?" And a large piece of me is dubious that we'd get more than 16 points given equal circumstance. Sure that's a win all other things being equal but again, analyzing the factors that contribute to the final score is insightful to future success rather than stating a preference for wins, no matter how they come. I mean, isn't that every fan everywhere? They like wins?

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
12thbrah":268gtwi2 said:
I would have to say no. Last nights Patriots win was a testament again to Belichick's coaching genius and ability to adapt his team to any opponent.

It also proves again that Brady is an overrated system QB who benefited by playing for maybe the greatest coach in NFL history.

And yet Gronk wasn't targeted once in the red zone, while Bennett was force fed in the end zone. Bevell would get his balls cut off for such on this board.

Seymour

Reaction score
Anyone care to explain what this thread is all about (the point)? Not able to read the entire first post....but baffling. :?:

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
mrt144":280jouea said:
Well the question isn't "Do you care about wins more than the final score", it's "Given all the factors the Seahawks are dealing with, could they rise to the same output of the Pats when the Texans step on their dicks?" And a large piece of me is dubious that we'd get more than 16 points given equal circumstance. Sure that's a win all other things being equal but again, analyzing the factors that contribute to the final score is insightful to future success rather than stating a preference for wins, no matter how they come. I mean, isn't that every fan everywhere? They like wins?
My bad mrt for not sticking to the question posed.

But man, it's just too difficult to answer that because there's so many variables out there from game to game. As DavidSeven posted, getting multiple chances in the Texans' red zone due to kickoff fumbles and costly pass interference penalties greatly enhances a team putting 27 on the board. If we were given those same types of gifts, I'd absolutely expect us to score 27.

But will we realistically do that every game? Hell no. We're just not built like that. Pete stresses ball control and the run game. It's more of a conservative approach that more often than not bears the fruits of those labors in the second half of a game. Just spitballing without searching the stats, but I'd say a typical win for us would be more like 24-14.

Another thing to consider is that more of our payroll is tilted toward the defensive side of the ball. We still have one of the best defenses in the league. Instead of piling up the points on offense, aren't we the best team in the league at keeping our opponents' scores the lowest? Doesn't that serve the same purpose in getting a win, which is the ultimate objective?

LymonHawk

Reaction score
If you're not a fantasy player and merely a 'Hawks fan, why would it matter whether we put up 27pts or not?

As far as takeaways are concerned, the fabled LOB of '13 is now a shadow of it's old self....sad but true. No more Browner smacking the crap out of backs, receivers, and returners. #29 is not the same player this year, and sadly Bam Kam is not the hitter he once was...IMHO last week's game was proof of that. In '13 when did you see Kam hit someone and bounce off? Used to be the other guy who was bouncing and backpedaling. Age and injuries are the great equalizers in life.

But it doesn't mean we can't win another SB this year...so heads up, hearts strong, and let's kick some Niner booty this week!

Go 'Hawks!!!!!!!! :les:

Natethegreat

Reaction score
DavidSeven":396mt3nj said:

Nope, and you are 100% correct. Texans were horrendous last night and Osweiler is not worth anywhere near what the are paying him.

Largent80

Reaction score
If they made a sign saying 27 and hung it outside the locker door maybe, but on the field?....C'mon we scored a field goal in 60 minutes last week.

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
Largent80":bxbhfn5t said:
If they made a sign saying 27 and hung it outside the locker door maybe, but on the field?....C'mon we scored a field goal in 60 minutes last week.

I would love it if someone from .net had a 27-0 sign on Sunday.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
No. we only play offense in 1 quarter a game. So it's impossible. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gowazzu02

Reaction score
DavidSeven":22prsxyh said:

BINGO!

Status
Not open for further replies.