Well done Darrell Bevell & Tom Cable

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
What a terrific offensive performance.

It wasn't a big surprise, because we've had a top-10 offense per DVOA for the last four years including the #1 ranked offense in the entire league in 2015.

Yet it was nice to see the offense absolutely firing after last week's off-week with all of those injuries hindering things.

It's also a refreshing reminder on a day when the Steelers were depantsed by the Eagles and the Cardinals had their arses kicked in Buffalo that a Seahawks off-day is only ever a tough, one-score loss rather than an absolute pasting (the type dished out to the Niners today).

Keep up the good work :irishdrinkers:

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Exactly what I was thinking as we watched Pittsburgh--one of the best offenses in the league--put up 3 points, with a healthy Big Ben.

The O-line played a bit better today, mistakes were made by RW and we still played strong. The rocks-paper-scissors of the Rams, 9ers and Hawks continues as we beat each other in odd ways.

Refreshing, indeed!

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":99um3y7q said:
Exactly what I was thinking as we watched Pittsburgh--one of the best offenses in the league--put up 3 points, with a healthy Big Ben.

I think this is what is known as, 'perspective'.

hawk45

Reaction score
Can't imagine a better offensive performance or performance from our line. The Niners DL isn't the kind to test us, but early last year even the weak DLs were dominating our OL so this is progress.
Thought the boykins TD was as much due to scheme as anything. Blitz coming and Darrell used our hottest receiver who has been a mismatch all game as the quick throw option.
Also, the ratio of Cmike to AC was right where it should be, about 30 to 1.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
1 out of 3. I would like to see more of what happened today from those 2 offensive coaches.
I would have very little to complain about these 2 if their gameplanning and playcalling was as good as it was today week in and week out.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1ok8nmdz said:
1 out of 3. I would like to see more of what happened today from those 2 offensive coaches.
I would have very little to complain about these 2 if their gameplanning and playcalling was as good as it was today week in and week out.

Whose playcalling is good week in and week out though? Or let me rephrase that -- whose offensive gameplan works every week, whose players execute at a high level every week? To go along with the play calling working.

I get the sense there is a perception that there are teams out there churning out constant brilliance on offense.

Look at the Steelers today -- three points and a pasting. The Cards -- four picks for Palmer. The rams are set to beat SEA and TB in back-to-back weeks after losing 28-0 to the Niners. The Jets looked great @ Buffalo and today Fitzpatrick threw six interceptions.

This league is tough. Really tough. And Seattle's offense has been top-10 in DVOA for four years. Which is very impressive -- and working alongside a top defense is a great mix.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Ive stated my opinion before, Bevell is better than his detractors think he is and probably a step down from what his biggest supporters think of him. I've been in both camps with him.

My question is for Rob or any of the pro-Bevell camp. What are your thoughts on no one around the league being interested in him for a head coaching spot anymore? Usually teams this successful get their coaches picked off. Bevell's situation would seem to be even more desirable because he's had some success with a traditional guy like Favre and with the modern style mobile QB in Wilson. You would think teams would be interviewing him for every opening yet the past couple of years he hasn't drawn any interest. Are NFL teams wrong or is it possible he's viewed as slightly overrated and more a product of Wilson being elite?

I loved what Bevell/Cable did today. The game plan seemed spot on and like you said Rob execution was there as well. Fun game to watch.

chet380

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":37nc6evl said:
What a terrific offensive performance.

It wasn't a big surprise, because we've had a top-10 offense per DVOA for the last four years including the #1 ranked offense in the entire league in 2015.

Yet it was nice to see the offense absolutely firing after last week's off-week with all of those injuries hindering things.

It's also a refreshing reminder on a day when the Steelers were depantsed by the Eagles and the Cardinals had their arses kicked in Buffalo that a Seahawks off-day is only ever a tough, one-score loss rather than an absolute pasting (the type dished out to the Niners today).

Keep up the good work :irishdrinkers:
Well said, Rob.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
austinslater25":1b9nospg said:
My question is for Rob or any of the pro-Bevell camp. What are your thoughts on no one around the league being interested in him for a head coaching spot anymore?

I take nothing from it when teams willingly re-employ people like Rex Ryan and John Fox.

Plus I think there's a very real possibility that Bevell simply isn't head coach material. That he's well suited to being a coordinator. Certainly looks that way for Gus and DQ -- and their relative lack of success might also be having an impact on how teams view this.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
austinslater25":2oo82m6b said:
Ive stated my opinion before, Bevell is better than his detractors think he is and probably a step down from what his biggest supporters think of him. I've been in both camps with him.

My question is for Rob or any of the pro-Bevell camp. What are your thoughts on no one around the league being interested in him for a head coaching spot anymore? Usually teams this successful get their coaches picked off. Bevell's situation would seem to be even more desirable because he's had some success with a traditional guy like Favre and with the modern style mobile QB in Wilson. You would think teams would be interviewing him for every opening yet the past couple of years he hasn't drawn any interest. Are NFL teams wrong or is it possible he's viewed as slightly overrated and more a product of Wilson being elite?

I loved what Bevell/Cable did today. The game plan seemed spot on and like you said Rob execution was there as well. Fun game to watch.
Honest question, do we know what Bevell and Cable are paid? They may have little reason to leave, may not be on the market.

dogorama

Reaction score
Today reminded me of the changes made in the second half last year. The last two games reminded me of the first half last year. Several times I posted that Graham would have been a game changer in the last two games, today they not only used him but employed a game plan that was much less predictable. How much of the success today is predicated on how bad SF is I don't know, but the addition of Graham and the emergence of CMike is huge.

I don't know where this idea that we were the #1 offense in the league last year comes from, I am guessing one of those new-fangled stat-analytics sites. Personally, I don't buy that unless you are relegating that to the second half where we beat 3-win and 5-win teams except for a Viking's team missing their best key players on defense and a week 17 game that didn't matter to the opposition. The simple fact is that we sat on small leads in the first half that caused losses and yes, I lay that squarely on the play calling.

Can Bevell get better and learn from his mistakes? Yes, absolutely, but one win against a team that was widely regarded as the worst team in the league doesn't prove anything. The simple fact is that when we open up the offense we are a much better and why people here can't see that is beyond me. When you see something happening that feels so redundant and you do the natural thing that most fans do and bitch about it, that doesn't make you less of a fan, it makes you more of one.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I don't think much has changed from last year, our offense will always struggle against a defense with a formidable defensive line. We already know what the Rams bring, we knew the Dolphins DL had the personnel to typically mess up everything too. So what happens? We look like crap in both games.. and nearly scraped out a 2-0 start if not for an ill timed fumble.

The Niners DL has nice pieces, but not to the point of the two teams we've played. The Jets DL is just like the Rams so it could be another struggle on offense.. especially if Wilson is hobbled or out.

But I don't think our offense is broken and I think when we face a team thats not as strong on the front 4 as the Rams, then this offense can do a lot of good things.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Pete had said earlier in the week that they would use Jimmy Graham alot more. I think Pete finally gave Bevell permission to use Graham as a regular weapon.

kf3339

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2vvv51ia said:

^ This.

I was quite surprised and happy with game planning and play calling today. If this is the start of the real Hawk offense then great! But lets see more than a one game snapshot. Personally, I need 3-4 games of this strung together to call it a real change in direction/Philosophy, or whatever you want to call it right now.

But again we will take it! :2thumbs:

kf3339

Reaction score
dogorama":136nfam4 said:
Today reminded me of the changes made in the second half last year. The last two games reminded me of the first half last year. Several times I posted that Graham would have been a game changer in the last two games, today they not only used him but employed a game plan that was much less predictable. How much of the success today is predicated on how bad SF is I don't know, but the addition of Graham and the emergence of CMike is huge.

I don't know where this idea that we were the #1 offense in the league last year comes from, I am guessing one of those new-fangled stat-analytics sites. Personally, I don't buy that unless you are relegating that to the second half where we beat 3-win and 5-win teams except for a Viking's team missing their best key players on defense and a week 17 game that didn't matter to the opposition. The simple fact is that we sat on small leads in the first half that caused losses and yes, I lay that squarely on the play calling.

Can Bevell get better and learn from his mistakes? Yes, absolutely, but one win against a team that was widely regarded as the worst team in the league doesn't prove anything. The simple fact is that when we open up the offense we are a much better and why people here can't see that is beyond me. When you see something happening that feels so redundant and you do the natural thing that most fans do and bitch about it, that doesn't make you less of a fan, it makes you more of one.

^And this as well. Stated much more eloquently than I could handle. Well done!

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
dogorama":dc0o2xpw said:

Well done, thank you. :2thumbs:

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
The simple fact is that when we open up the offense we are a much better and why people here can't see that is beyond me.
Am curious to see what the pass/run ratio was today, compared to in the Rams game.

Ozzy

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3vqapisz said:
austinslater25":3vqapisz said:
My question is for Rob or any of the pro-Bevell camp. What are your thoughts on no one around the league being interested in him for a head coaching spot anymore?

I take nothing from it when teams willingly re-employ people like Rex Ryan and John Fox.

Plus I think there's a very real possibility that Bevell simply isn't head coach material. That he's well suited to being a coordinator. Certainly looks that way for Gus and DQ -- and their relative lack of success might also be having an impact on how teams view this.

Could very well be true. I really have no idea. Regardless liked what I saw from the offense today though!

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
[tweet]http://twitter.com/hawkblogger/status/780219365916409857[/tweet]