Do you sit or start Russell against the Jets

• Yes, start him

Votes: 73 53.3%
  • No, sit him

Votes: 64 46.7%

• Total voters

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Interesting debate on Brock and Salk this morning.

If Russell's injury is a MCL sprain, do you sit him against NY and give him three full weeks to recover from both injuries. Or if he can go, do you play him, even if that means again being only at 50%.

Obviously we know what Russell would do, but what would you do as Pete?

themunn

Reaction score
Yes, I would start him
No, i would not sit him

Hawks46

Reaction score
I went "yes" but there should be a "maybe" or "play it by ear"

It's tough because my first reaction as a coach would be to see how (or if) he practices throughout the week. If he can walk without pain and seems to be mobile, I go with it. If he's got limited mobility, I sit him against an AFC opponent.

On second thought, I'd go "no" as of right NOW, but would be open to yes at the end of the week.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Things I would need to know to answer this question. If he has the least variety of MCL sprain, what danger is there to further injury? If it's no greater than if he didn't have it, I play him, if it increases his chance, I sit him.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JSeahawks":11t0pw31 said:
If he can play I play him.

Seems like a no brainier to me.

idk, with the Cards 1-2, Panther 1-2, and no one really running away with the NFC, maybe it's better give him three full weeks off so he's ready to roll and these injuries aren't lingering for months.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sit him.

Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't going to be putting up a whole lot of points; we don't need to out-shoot him. Against the Jets, you're going to want someone who can protect himself with his legs, and that's not Russ this week. And like Sgt. said, the NFC isn't exactly a footrace right now.

If we lose, it's an AFC game, which doesn't count as much in a postseason tiebreaker. If there's ever a time to sit him, it's the Jets game.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":26b0vz43 said:
Sit him.

Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't going to be putting up a whole lot of points; we don't need to out-shoot him. Against the Jets, you're going to want someone who can protect himself with his legs, and that's not Russ this week.

If we lose, it's an AFC game, which doesn't count as much in a postseason tiebreaker.
This

Fade

Reaction score
If he can take snaps under center start him. If his mobility is limited to the point where he can only take snaps from the gun, then he must rest.

iigakusei

Reaction score
If it was me I would sit him - I would look at the long term goal for the season.
Rest him for two weeks and get close to 100%
I am pretty sure that won't happen though - if he can play he will.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
StoneCold":22utwmcw said:
Things I would need to know to answer this question. If he has the least variety of MCL sprain, what danger is there to further injury? If it's no greater than if he didn't have it, I play him, if it increases his chance, I sit him.

Even the lowest grade sprain means he's playing, and playing against another nasty front risking further injury and one less week of rest.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Too much risk of MCL sprains getting worse. Sit him. Absolutely.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
I voted sit him. Another week of rest before the bye would be beneficial. Boykin is still raw, but with the way C-Mike is running I wouldn't be as worried. The Jets secondary is suspect now as well, so that'd help Boykin immensely.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I certainly wouldn't play Pete. He's pretty old. He'd get hurt out there.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":3m9g09vi said:
I certainly wouldn't play Pete. He's pretty old. He'd get hurt out there.

Don't be so sure, he's pretty spry and could probably outrun most of .Net.