10 am games

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Can some one give me an answer about these games in the AM?

Do they have to be played at 1pm or can they be played at 4:pm? I am just wondering why the league does this, is it just the way it's always been and nothing more or is there a logical reason why they have to be played at 1 Eastern time?

I for one just hate watching Hawks at 10:00 am, I don't mind seeing east coast games on at 10, but I take exception to the west coast teams playing at 10. I would also think the NFL's big advertisers wouldn't want games on at 10, unless your a coffee company. I wonder if Bud and Miller have ever looked into this, since they pay a premium and at 10 o'clock am, I'm thinking they are not getting their money out of it.

I know this has been talked of before and that a lot of people think it shouldn't matter what time the game is, but it really does matter. Yeah, it sounds whiney, but when the stakes are that high, it's a serious issue and it's a huge advantage for the East coast team. I also don't understand why teams don't make an issue with the schedule makers about this since it directly effects them and their team.

Luckily, this year, the Hawks I believe only have a few games that early, and it shouldn't be a problem, the problem comes during the playoff, if we have to go back east.

So if you have something to say about this great, if not, it's not a big deal. Just for some reason, I hate it and think it's a huge dis favor to the west coast teams.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
The Tampa Game versus the Rams was 4pm EST so it can be done.

vin.couve12

Reaction score

September 8 at Carolina Panthers W 12–7
September 29 at Houston Texans W 23–20
October 6 at Indianapolis Colts L 28–34
November 10 at Atlanta Falcons W 33–10
December 15 at New York Giants W 23–0

2014:

October 19 at St. Louis Rams L 26–28
October 26 at Carolina Panthers W 13–9
November 16 at Kansas City Chiefs L 20–24

We had a Sunday night and Monday night in 2014 east coast trips.

2015:

September 13 at St. Louis Rams L 31–34
October 11 at Cincinnati Bengals L 24–27 (OT)
December 6 at Minnesota Vikings W 38–7
December 13 at Baltimore Ravens W 35–6

Overall away record is slightly better and we do tend to play well at night on away games. We tend to play well at night in general except for one GB away game after the St Louis loss (game 2), I think. Would have to go back and look though.

minormillikin

Reaction score
It's actually kind of weird, for a league that's so good at making money, that they don't schedule more 1pm pacific games. Once the bye games start, it's like 8 early 10am games and only 2 or 3 1pm games.

Seems like they could guarantee more people stuck to the couch if they had a better variety of late games. As a longtime Redzone Channel viewer it's always been a bit annoying how it goes from so many early games to hardly any later games.

Maybe Eastern teams prefer scheduling 1pm eastern as much as we prefer 1pm pacific and that's what the owners/NFL decided on.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
There are flat out just a higher concentration of teams from the Mississippi and Great Lakes and farther east. It's sheer numbers and nothing to do with fairness or any modern PC type of thing.

Whatever though....they can keep pilling on top of each other like basic mammals out east for all I care. I like the space of the west. The East has 2/3rds of the population. The west has 2/3rds of the food. :drool: They have plenty worse logistical problems than football.

Fade

Reaction score
Television reasons is the excuse often given by the league. Which can easily be proven wrong.

The real reason is the bulk of the league resides in the Central & Eastern time zones, and they do not want to give their advantage up.

253hawk

Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes there's only two games on at 1 PM. This weekend there were five, and one of those was PIT/PHI. TB/LA was one of them as well. Our road games at GB and TB will also be at 1 PM, so we only have two 10 AM games this year.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
For you Pacific Time Zoners, do you really mind the 10 a.m. starts from a personal standpoint?

For those of you who go to church, I could see how it could make things more difficult, but with the game being over by 1 p.m. PST, you'd have the rest of the afternoon to enjoy a nice fall day.

In my case, I usually have to go to a sports bar that has The Ticket to watch the Hawks. I'm in the Central Time Zone, so I watch the noon games and then the Hawks at 3. So that's 6 hours worth of football and beer on my typical Sunday. Then I usually get some food and drink some water before I head home, making it about 7.5 hours in the bar. It makes for a fun day, but it does eat up the entire day. Sometimes I wish we had a 10 a.m. start so I could make use of a few hours of daylight and reduce my bar tab a bit.

Speaking of that, when the Hawks are on at 10, do bars open early? Do state laws allow this? And if so, do many people gather there? Since the Hawks are one of the games on your local channel, I understand you could easily stay home. But if you're into fantasy football like me, you probably would go to a bar with The Ticket all the time to keep track of your players.

ivotuk

Reaction score
The thing I hate about it is, they overload the 10AM slot with 11 or 12 games, which only gives you 2 or 3 to watch in the later slot, and sometimes those are suckass games!

I've actually gone out and done yard work because they have been so boring.

Why not split them up so that viewers have a better choice in both time slots?

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I miss 10am games. Wake up and BAM...football was on...or at least almost on. Now I have to wait all the way until 11...it's an eternity. I couldn't imagine waiting until 12 or 1. That seems like torture.

Steve2222

Reaction score
I love 10am start games. I'm in the central time zone now so I get noon for the early games which isn't bad. SNF, TNF, and MNF are dreadful on the east coast seeing as the games don't wrap up until midnight and I have to be up for work at 5am.

In summary, PST > EST

OP
OP
Bobblehead

Bobblehead

Reaction score
When living in the east, I did miss waking up to football, but soon realized how awesome it was from 1:00pm to the rest of the day and night of football. Able to go play my morning tennis, come home, and start eating nacho's and beer at a reasonable time. :)

DYLcurry59

Reaction score
ivotuk":30t51itd said:
The thing I hate about it is, they overload the 10AM slot with 11 or 12 games, which only gives you 2 or 3 to watch in the later slot, and sometimes those are suckass games!

I've actually gone out and done yard work because they have been so boring.

Why not split them up so that viewers have a better choice in both time slots?

Completely agree with this, and...

Why don't they have the late games all start at 1:30 or even 2:00? There would be no overlap except for the very rare overtime game. And if you're outside of the team's market waiting for a late kickoff, you're stuck watching whatever game it is that's running long. A couple of years ago when I was living in CA, the Seahawks/Cowboys game didn't come on until the middle of the 2nd quarter because the Bengals/Panthers game went to OT.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":2pj3v4vv said:

It was 10:00am, but had a 75 minute weather delay.

The NFL will NEVER change it's time format unless it's a primetime or national game. They want their games evenly spaced out to maximize advertising dollars and have the same number of games in the morning as afternoon.

So why continue to complain? East coast teams stink coming west and west coast teams stink going east. Good teams overcome it.

OP
OP
Bobblehead

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":fmwxn3ug said:
UK_Seahawk":fmwxn3ug said:

The NFL will NEVER change it's time format unless it's a primetime or national game. They want their games evenly spaced out to maximize advertising dollars and have the same number of games in the morning as afternoon.

So why continue to complain? East coast teams stink coming west and west coast teams stink going east. Good teams overcome it.

It would still be spaced out, just on the flip side. In fact, the maximum advertising dollar would be better since you would be getting the people you missed gong to church and it's Sunday, so people at 4:00 pm EST are generally at home and AWAKE as they are on the PST. Beer Commercials at 1:00 makes a lot more sense than 10am.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bobblehead":sb9vqvmj said:
Sgt. Largent":sb9vqvmj said:
UK_Seahawk":sb9vqvmj said:

It would still be spaced out, just on the flip side. In fact, the maximum advertising dollar would be better since you would be getting the people you missed gong to church and it's Sunday, so people at 4:00 pm EST are generally at home and AWAKE as they are on the PST. Beer Commercials at 1:00 makes a lot more sense than 10am.

I don't follow.

If the first games started at 4:00pm east coast then the second games would bleed into Sunday Night Football.

There is no other way cause NBC wants exclusivity for SNF.

It's perfect for the NFL, fans and it's even because every team has to travel east and west. So not sure what the problem is.

OP
OP
Bobblehead

Bobblehead

Reaction score
No, first game starts at 1pm Eastern.
2nd game @ 4:00
3rd game @ 7:00 or 8.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
The NFL has stated they like to limit the 1pm pst games because they want to force eyeballs onto the national broadcasts. Bigger number means more they can charge fox and cbs.

I think another factor is the East coast teams know they have the west cost teams by the short hairs and have a fairly significant advantage. Why would they want to give that up??/ The thing that ticks me off is the nfl made schedule concessions when NE and belicheat complained about back to back west coast trips.... no such concessions are made for west coast teams.