Baldwin is this Generations Largent

Largent80

Reaction score
Pretty simple. He runs excellent routes, has awesome body control, is a great blocker and team mate oh and also make outstanding catches..

I love me some Doug Baldwin. And he is on par with Steve.

rigelian

Reaction score
Largent80":lsarvia2 said:
Pretty simple. He runs excellent routes, has awesome body control, is a great blocker and team mate oh and also make outstanding catches..

I agree Doug has become an awesome Largentesque receiver and a smart leader. There is no better comparison.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Marlin Man

Reaction score
Agree with you 100%. Even "feels" like Steve out there. Very, Very good comparison.

M.M.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Not sure Largent would ever have been described as Angry Steve.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Interesting note...Doug called Largent when he came into the league to try to get any advice from him. Steve said that was the first time any receiver for the Seahawks has ever done that.

Based on his performance I would say he has taken Largent's advice quite nicely.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
ADB is as smart a route runner and as good an intellect but has bigger athleticism and power than (also-incredible) Largent.

Big salute to Doug! If he can maintain this early pace he will be in the top 5 in receiver stats, I think he's at #3 already so far?

HawkGA

Reaction score
Seeing Baldwin be the security blanket for Boykin that he was was pretty awesome.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Largent80":2qb9smbr said:

Well, he was smart enough to contact Largent 2 years ago and actually get receiving tips from him. I remember hearing that and then later on that season saw him make a couple of those toenails on the sideline falling out of bounds catches and I thought to myself -- well, THAT sure looks familiar ...

2021929265.jpg

0ap2000000252228 video cp

Largent-catch-300x201.jpg

1456eb4cd71a3dc8ce8b1d38be1803a8

sutz

Reaction score
Well, yeah, maybe in a few years. ;)

He does have some similarities. Some big ones are that he's not flashy on a national scale, works his ass off to earn everything, makes clutch catches to move the chains. He seems to have that knack that even without blazing speed, he can run all of the routes and get open, and he can adjust to his QB when he gets in trouble.

He doesn't seem to build up gaudy stats, but just keeps making the catches and doing his job and is dedicated to help the team regardless if it helps his personal stat line. Then, at the end of the season, you look up and see just how valuable he is to the team.

Yeah, lots of similarities.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Let's see how good he is at forcing fumbles before we make that comparison.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
HawkGA":3u3kraaz said:
Ok I giggled. But........... I saw "Angry Steve" once and he did some serious damage.... Ask Mike Hardin about "Angry Steve". 8)

Seymour

Reaction score
HawkGA":1o33f1p6 said:

Exactly. Also Steve Largent is in an entirely different class and never would have taken a "live steamer" in front of 114 million people. :pukeface:

harryjohnson

Reaction score
Seymour":1hnqqgm5 said:
HawkGA":1hnqqgm5 said:

Exactly. Also Steve Largent is in an entirely different class and never would have taken a "live steamer" in front of 114 million people. :pukeface:

Agreed, although I bet you DB regrets that move.

As someone who had season tickets back in those days, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Doug has a great start. But Largent is in the Hall for many reasons. One of which was that when he left the game he held ALL of the receiving records. Yes all of them. Without gloves.

Largent is the best reciever to ever put on a Seahawks uniform. Jerry Rice doesn't count.

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
While I love Doug and everything he embodies, c'mon man.

Steve held every major receiving record when he retired, was a first ballot hall of famer, and the best receiver ever until a guy named Jerry came along.

To say Doug is on par with Largent is some major hyperbole.

But Doug is awesome, and an incredible piece to this team. And just entering his prime, so I do expect some big big things out of him.

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
First off, don't compare him to Largent.
Largent would never pretend to take a dump in the end zone at the Super Bowl.
Largent also retired the all time leader in catches, yards and TD's.

The Breh

Reaction score
ZorntoLargent":1lfxb6yw said:
First off, don't compare him to Largent.
Largent would never pretend to take a dump in the end zone at the Super Bowl.
Largent also retired the all time leader in catches, yards and TD's.

You guys need to leave "character" out when someone is obviously comparing him to on field production.
Largent wouldn't have taken a dump, sure.
Game is more risqué and Baldwin was mocking someone else, no ?
You guys must have a hard time watching games these days because it isn't is as "respectful" now.
Back when dudes were getting blasted on the head, play the next snap and who knows what galaxy they might have even been in, you thought that to be more "respectful"

Draw the comparisons of the production, of a Seahawks player.

irocdave

Reaction score
I have to agree with several sentiments regarding DB on this thread, but as some the latter posters have mentioned, he isn't on the same level YET Steve Largent.

I think Doug is the new vocal leader of the offense since Lynch retired, but he has a long road to go before he should be compared to Largent from a statistical stand point. Largent was the epitome of class, played on some terrible teams and never once bitched or complained. I get the generational differences, but as mentioned, I don't ever recall Largent doing something asinine on the field and having to apologize for it. That's just my observation, even if Doug had not done that, he has never played on a piss poor NFL team and sucked it up and just dealt with it.

I love Doug's passion and emerging greatness, but if he played on some of those early seahawks teams I really wonder if he would have forced his way out. I think he would, just as I would have if I was in the same position. That is the major difference I see between Doug and Steve. That stretch of catches in consecutive regular season games (177) has only been topped by Jerry Rice, and that record will never be beat.

Also have to factor in what Steve did after football, put political preference aside, the guy was just a stand up human being.

I think is also, but his book hasn't been written yet. One of the best receivers ever in a Seahawk uniform, even this young stage of his career, no question. Comparable to Steve Largent? Not close yet. Keep it up Doug, your on the right path, just need to keep it up for another decade.