Seahawks sign CJ Spiller

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Very interesting indeed. I remember when he was drafted that a lot of people thought the Hawks were going to go after him.

sutz

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2tmcdvru said:
ivotuk":2tmcdvru said:
Spiller is good, but has always had trouble staying healthy, even at Clemson.

He'll fit right in with this RB group, then.
Have to admit, I chuckled at that. :evil:

Geologic

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1z3s7cny said:
JSeahawks":1z3s7cny said:
Loved him coming out of college. I wonder if we stash Procise on IR now?

Probably. As I understand it he can't really catch with his cast on. Renders him kind of useless.
Procise was good at pass protection too. I haven't really watched much of CJ Spiller. Can he pass protect on third downs?

Reaction score
JSeahawks":mub1iwt2 said:
Was coming in to say just this - if you look at most of Spiller's 2015 highlights when he played for the Saints, most of them were actually passes - 3rd down type of routes coming out of the backfield. That was the role we had expected Procise to play this year.

ivotuk

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":4w2w59db said:
Seahawks were using Collins as a 3rd down back. Spiller is an immediate upgrade. Solid move!

Not too sure about that. I think they need to give those snaps to AC. There's a reason why Spiller is available.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Geologic":22uexjtc said:
FlyingGreg":22uexjtc said:
JSeahawks":22uexjtc said:

Probably. As I understand it he can't really catch with his cast on. Renders him kind of useless.
Procise was good at pass protection too. I haven't really watched much of CJ Spiller. Can he pass protect on third downs?

I don't think he has had to do it a lot. He is normally a 3rd down back running routes.

ivotuk

Reaction score
"Although Christine Michael will remain the go-to option in the backfield, Spiller will join C.J. Prosise on the depth chart."

"Injuries have taken a toll on the running back since then, limiting him to just nine games in 2014 and 13 games last year, his first season with the Saints. When he was healthy, he struggled to see the field and ended up with just 351 yards from scrimmage on 70 total touches in 2015."

"He simply couldn't move above Mark Ingram, Tim Hightower or Travaris Cadet on the depth chart"

Wow, it';s like Alex Collins doesn't exist.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
ivotuk":2muz9gsn said:
SeahawksFanForever":2muz9gsn said:
Seahawks were using Collins as a 3rd down back. Spiller is an immediate upgrade. Solid move!

Not too sure about that. I think they need to give those snaps to AC. There's a reason why Spiller is available.

I am not sure if it was a part of the plan to develop Collins as a 3rd down back. That role belongs to Prosise but he couldn't stay healthy throughout training camp & during the season.

Spiller is going to take over that role. He can catch, run routes, and pretty good in the open field. That's exactly the type of role they have planned for Prosise if he can stay healthy.

seabowl

Reaction score
Love love love this signing. This guy given a real opportunity to win the starting job.... will win it.

uncle fester

Reaction score
Funny how it comes around.

I can remember, as HawkFan72 has mentioned, discussions on here as to whether JS should draft him.

Also remember Bills fans saying we could have Lynch (!) as they still had Spiller and Fred Jackson...