RW a .. "pedestrian 2nd tier qb" per NY Daily news

chet380

Reaction score
Accentuates the negatives as would be expected from a NYC writer -- entertaining writing style, though.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
I felt like I was reading an article from 2014 or so.

Apparently there are still people out there believing this worn out narrative. The "he has to scramble to be effective" is almost as accurate as all the short stuff. The funny thing is, hes actually better when he doesnt scramble around honestly.

News travels slow in this guys direction apparently.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Click bait.

This guy reposted this same exact story two different times to generate traffic.

Seymour

Reaction score
Couldn't read it all. It was that bad sadly. :177692:

Smellyman

Reaction score
He posted it twice on his twitter feed. He got tons of replies of people pointing and laughing at him. Nobody agrees.

He got what he wanted though.....attention.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
If you look at his stats thus far this season you could make a case for Russ being 2nd tier. He's 19th in completion percentage among starting QBs, 21st in total passing yards, has a meager 2-1 TD/INT ratio and is 18th in QB rating among starters.

Point is that it's a really small sample size and it's not like he's the only one starting "slow". Rodgers, Newton, Palmer and Roethlisberger all have significantly lower completion percentages than Russ, none of them are really high up the list of total passing yards, all except Rodgers have a worse or similar TD/INT ratio and none of them are high up the QB ratings either. I wonder if the writer also considers them 2nd rate?

I guess we just have to accept that after 3 whole weeks last year's elite are all suddenly horrible QBs and that guys like Wentz and Bradford will be this years All-Pros /s

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Check out his stats for last year after thre weeks. Compare to the end of the season.

It's not how you start, it's how you finish.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Our offensive line is so bad that even the running backs are injured behind it.

nash72

Reaction score
Dont let Russ see that. He'll play for sure if he does.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This is just more of the usual type "he's short for a QB, so he can't be elite" nonsense. Yep, he has elite statistics as a passer ,even as a pocket passer, but you can ignore those b/c he's just a "system QB", or "relies on his legs" and top tier escapability to allow his success in the pocket. He's hobbled so he will suck. What rubbish!

This guy ignores the proof already in the record books that Wilson in almost every statistical area, except his height, has demonstrated, no, clearly proven, he's an elite QB. I look forward to reading the retraction from this writer, and reading the explanation that Wilson did prove he's talented, but short for a QB. Meanwhile the Jets will continue to demonstrate other areas of their futility. The article could have been more readable if it had focused upon the Seahawks OLine vs. The Jets DLine.

What this joker should however focus upon, is a D that wants to prove the 18 points given up against the Digits is an inaccurate representation of just how tough a day their bottom tier QB is going to have on Sunday.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Gotta love the New England media.

He probably knows what he's writing is BS and is just playing to his readers. Such writers do that openly in the northeast and don't really even try to hide it.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2szth2w8 said:
This is just more of the usual type "he's short for a QB, so he can't be elite" nonsense. Yep, he has elite statistics as a passer ,even as a pocket passer, but you can ignore those b/c he's just a "system QB", or "relies on his legs" and top tier escapability to allow his success in the pocket. He's hobbled so he will suck. What rubbish!

This guy ignores the proof already in the record books that Wilson in almost every statistical area, except his height, has demonstrated, no, clearly proven, he's an elite QB. I look forward to reading the retraction from this writer, and reading the explanation that Wilson did prove he's talented, but short for a QB. Meanwhile the Jets will continue to demonstrate other areas of their futility. The article could have been more readable if it had focused upon the Seahawks OLine vs. The Jets DLine.

What this joker should however focus upon, is a D that wants to prove the 18 points given up against the Digits is an inaccurate representation of just how tough a day their bottom tier QB is going to have on Sunday.

Anybody who mentions that and calls Brady elite (not saying Brady isn't elite) is biased. At this point I believe Bellicheat could plug Rick Meyer in at QB and make him look elite.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
NY Daily News doing it's thing. It's pretty standard. They aren't a fake or satire news site, but they do run a lot of opinion pieces that rustle people's jimmies.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It's partially true, some of Russell's effectiveness is because defenses have to respect his mobility.

But to say it's ALL because of Russell's mobility and that doesn't make him elite? Last time I checked both Brees and Rodgers are pretty damn mobile and teams have to respect that. What's the difference?

Stats don't lie, Russell's a top 5 QB. That makes him elite, period. End of discussion. Thanks for playing.