Seattle won easily BUT

Smellyman

Reaction score
Thank goodness they did so the myriad of bad calls didn't cause a loss.

My word the officiating was awful.

Refs get an F for that game.

Largent80

Reaction score
The best middle finger was flipped by Sherman who got called for PI when Marshall actually pushed him. The next play was a pick by Sherm.

OP
OP
Smellyman

Smellyman

Reaction score
Largent80":4ybr4819 said:
The best middle finger was flipped by Sherman who got called for PI when Marshall actually pushed him. The next play was a pick by Sherm.

or the jets jump offsides, Luke Willson jumps and they call it on him. Luckly RW threw a TD to Spiller next I believe.

horrible spot for a jet first

the 'roughing' penalty on Fitzpatrick,

Avril holding (called it on Clark)

The opening drive, still think that was a catch and fumble by NY, but they called it incomplete and Lane would've had to catch it. I don't think they even looked at as a catch and fumble.

Any others, my memory is already being purged.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Yeah some really crappy calls. But it is a reoccurring theme every week. I think the thing to do is just overcome the shit calling and win regardless. I would rather win and be annoyed than lose and hang my hat on bad officiating as why my team lost.

IDK why they cant do any better at this. For crying out loud they have all the money and technology in the world and still suck at it. Do they really want to fix it?

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Overseasfan":25zs7uhl said:
There were too many random penalties on us but the important calls were pretty much on point.

Other than the fumble at the end, which calls were "on point"????

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Smellyman":2lhcfsci said:

I totally agree.

Two fumbles that weren't called correctly, both in favour of the Jets, both of which cost the Hawks points were the most egregious. As well there were lots of penalties that were unevenly called, numerous OPI calls from their WRs that were ignored, phantom roughing the QB calls against Fitzgerald while RW got hit late w/o call more than once, offensive holds that were blatant against our DL, all part of a very weak show that looked at times as if the zebras were trying to make the game closer. The team's tape to the league will be long this week.

I was grumbling all game, got my thoughts confirmed upon my partial rewatch.

Hawknight

Reaction score
Smellyman":1lcq5up4 said:

Jets gets the refs on their side and still can't pull out a win. The calls were utterly unbelievable, a facemask, I believe it was on C Michael, which was obvious and no flag..SHM.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
My take:

If you look across the league -- every teams' fan boards are rife with complaints about the refs. Honestly -- I didn't have a lot of issue with most of the calls.

Nor do I tend to think that because we end up with traditionally more penalties than our opponents that means that other refs are out to get us. I truly believe that Pete instills an atmosphere where he actually wants the team to play to that kind of edge.

Most coaches are more like Holmgren was. Sticklers for clean play and get bent in half when their teams draw flags. But Pete isn't like that at all. I think he wants us to play in the gray area every single play. And when you live there, sometimes you get burnt.

Seattle's been winning like this for years. And at this point, I think it's actually a central reason why we win at all. Because for every dubious flag we draw -- there are several game deciding plays where we make a play precisely because we play to tight and on edge.

Every fanbase thinks they get screwed by the refs. Whether it's because they get flags. Or in the case of our opponents where we don't get flags.

Great teams have a habit of making penalty inequity a non factor. We're one of those teams.

The only complaint I really have, is that it really does seem that we don't account for the apparent reality (i.e. totally unproven subjective speculation) that officials are about 90% more likely to make a bail out automatic first down call on third down than they are any other down. And we don't seem to alter our approach to account for this much.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
When the Hawks play like they did yesterday, bad calls don't matter nearly as much. You beat the refs by stomping the other team.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Hawkpower":1e97zbi1 said:
Overseasfan":1e97zbi1 said:
There were too many random penalties on us but the important calls were pretty much on point.

Other than the fumble at the end, which calls were "on point"????

I agree the refs were bad but it's not like they cost us the game or even came close to that. With important calls I'm talking about TDs, INTs etc.

Jeremy517

Reaction score
Smellyman":2eksjzii said:
or the jets jump offsides, Luke Willson jumps and they call it on him. Luckly RW threw a TD to Spiller next I believe.

That call was right. The rules say that a moving offensive player has to be lined up across from or one-away from a defender coming into the neutral zone, or else the penalty is on the offensive player. Willson was on the opposite side from the guy who jumped into the neutral zone.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I agree about the officiating...........but the Fitzpatrick arm going forward was a 50/50 at best, and since they called it a fumble, that wasn't going to be reversed. Just a dumb fluke play.

Wilson's brain fart taking a 15 yard sack was the most egregious play of the game.......could have REALLY factored into the outcome if Hauschka doesn't make that 53 yarder.

RussB

Reaction score
The reffing was some of the worst ive ever seen. Those guys really need to be fired .

ivotuk

Reaction score
What about the face mask on Christine that they completley ignored!

I was shocked they called the holding against #47 of Jets, but he took Bennett to the ground, so they were forced to.

DYLcurry59

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":7s9fq675 said:
I agree about the officiating...........but the Fitzpatrick arm going forward was a 50/50 at best, and since they called it a fumble, that wasn't going to be reversed. Just a dumb fluke play.

Wilson's brain fart taking a 15 yard sack was the most egregious play of the game.......could have REALLY factored into the outcome if Hauschka doesn't make that 53 yarder.

Wilson did screw up big time on that play, but like I said in the Bevell called a good game thread, Wilson should have never been put in that position. Just hand it off, kick a chip shot field goal and go up 17 to put the game away.

Laloosh

Reaction score
That sack that Wilson took wasn't good but he literally had nowhere to go. He can't just throw it away because he's still between the tackles. Jets had three defenders in his face almost immediately.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Laloosh":1rcsdrr0 said:
That sack that Wilson took wasn't good but he literally had nowhere to go. He can't just throw it away because he's still between the tackles. Jets had three defenders in his face almost immediately.

You can eat a sack without losing 15 yards. Russell did his typical Russell thing, which many times works out. It's like he took off, then realized he really couldn't run, then fell down. He can fall down 10 yards closer to the line, but at least it didn't hurt us.

The refs called a lot of holding on the Jets' OL. They call many more, and it's a choppy and long game.

The problem was, they missed/screwed up very obvious and blatant calls. I don't know how you miss that face mask on Michael, especially when he's drug down from behind. I thought it was a horse collar at first it was so bad. No flag...really ?

The Sherman DPI was the worst call I've seen in any game this season, and maybe last season (might just seem like it because it's fresh). Marshall extends BOTH arms and shoves Sherman away, then cuts away from him. Seriously, you put that in the rule book as the very definition of OPI, yet they not only don't call it, they call it the OTHER way. What ?!

I get frustrated by how many calls go against us where a guy catches the ball, spins, takes 2 steps, loses it, then it's called incomplete. I honestly don't think even the refs know what a complete pass is anymore.

I get pissed about the easy ones. A lot of holding calls in the interior OL are hard to see and I get that. It's why guys do it. But the calls in space with refs right there are just bad, and it reflects poorly on the league. Seriously, they looked like ratings calls in this game to keep it from getting out of hand.

In a closer game with a more talented opponent, this could've hurt us. It didn't so I let it go. But the refs were a shit show this game and it showed because they seemed confused, slow to the calls, and calling it on the wrong players.

olyfan63

Reaction score
The Fitzpatrick fumble the Jets returned for a TD was the correct call on the QB arm (not) moving forward. Unfortunately. Zebra's got that one right. The Willson false start on the Jet's DL offsides was apparently the correct interpretation, according to Jeremy517. The OPI's that should've been called on Marshall were mostly ignored and/or wrongly called on Sherman. Zebras mostly sucked there.

Missing the facemask on CMike was pretty bad.
The non-fumble was reasonably consistent with how the rule is being called around the league.
They did call some of the blatant holds that were occurring by the Jets.

Overall I'll give these refs a C+. They were a non-factor in the game outcome, even if they missed a few.