Wilson getting rid of the ball in 2.37 seconds on average

OkieHawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":29v28toc said:
http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0574701933042864201-4

It's a good example of how he's adjusted his game, and Darrell Bevell has adjusted his calls, to work around Wilson's injuries.

They need to stick to this, as it's working extremely well.

Greenhell

Reaction score
OkieHawk":qgn81d5h said:
MontanaHawk05":qgn81d5h said:

It's a good example of how he's adjusted his game, and Darrell Bevell has adjusted his calls, to work around Wilson's injuries.

Extremely well.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I like it. I'm not sure he'll stay there, as I theorize that the OL will get better and better at run blocking, and we'll end up back to a hybrid of our old ball control offense, our quick passing game, and play action explosive plays over the top.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
OkieHawk":343mg1lw said:
MontanaHawk05":343mg1lw said:

Jimmy Graham thinks so too.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score

And it only took Bevell three years, what a genius :roll:

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":32uz1zqw said:

It was probably more Pete's stubbornness than Bevell's. Bevell hasn't been given that much control.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":vplrwggu said:
WindCityHawk":vplrwggu said:

It was probably more Pete's stubbornness than Bevell's. Bevell hasn't been given that much control.

I have wondered how much this was the case. I know Pete likes to take the heat for these kinds of things, but I've usually chalked it up to Pete being a decent manager and taking responsibility for his staff. Where have you gathered that? (That's an honest curiosity, not skepticism.)

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":16ynizv2 said:
MontanaHawk05":16ynizv2 said:
WindCityHawk":16ynizv2 said:

I have wondered how much this was the case. I know Pete likes to take the heat for these kinds of things, but I've usually chalked it up to Pete being a decent manager and taking responsibility for his staff. Where have you gathered that? (That's an honest curiosity, not skepticism.)

Where have you gathered that it's mainly on Bevell's shoulders?

The general ignorance we fans have of the management's inner workings should lead to caution in conclusions.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
WOW! This really demonstrates the progression of Russell Wilson and just how much he has truly grown as a QB. Check it out ...

In 2012 (as a rookie), Russell Wilson had an average snap to release time of 3.12 seconds (SLOWEST of all QB's with at least 175 dropbacks)
https://www.profootballfocus.com/signature-stat-snapshot-time-to-throw/

Sheil Kapadia wrote about this issue back in February, noting the need for Russell to be quicker in his release. According to his article, here were the top 5 Fastest QB Releases in the NFL in 2015 ...
Andy Dalton ... 2.20 seconds
Tom Brady ... 2.26 seconds
Peyton Manning ... 2.27 seconds
Ryan Fitzpatrick ... 2.31 seconds
Alex Smith ... 2.32 seconds

In other words, Russell Wilson has gone from having the SLOWEST average release ... to now having one of the league's FASTEST.

Consider that in context -- Russell Wilson owns a career 3.17 Touchdown/Interception ratio – that is the 2nd Best TD/INT ratio of all time.

http://www.footballdb.com/leaders/career-passing-tdintratio
He sports a 64.8% career completion% -- that is the 8th Best of All Time.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_cmp_perc_career.htm
And he’s one of the league’s best at throwing the deep ball, completing 40.5% of all deep passes he threw last year (3rd best in the NFL).

He’s deadly on the run outside the pocket … and now he’s shown the rest of the NFL (quite convincingly) what we and Pete Carroll have always known – that he is just as deadly FROM inside the pocket as well. He has evolved into one of the truly elite passers in this game and the numbers show it. He is right up there with Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, and whomever else you want to compare him to. Even the NY Daily News might even eventually begrudgingly admit that.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":2cwnhlya said:
WOW! This really demonstrates the progression of Russell Wilson and just how much he has truly grown as a QB. Check it out ...

In 2012 (as a rookie), Russell Wilson had an average snap to release time of 3.12 seconds (SLOWEST of all QB's with at least 175 dropbacks)

Sheil Kapadia wrote about this issue back in February, noting the need for Russell to be quicker in his release. According to his article, here were the top 5 Fastest QB Releases in the NFL in 2015 ...

In other words, Russell Wilson has gone from having the SLOWEST average release ... to now having one of the league's FASTEST.

Consider that in context -- Russell Wilson owns a career 3.17 Touchdown/Interception ratio – that is the 2nd Best TD/INT ratio of all time.

And he’s one of the league’s best at throwing the deep ball, completing 40.5% of all deep passes he threw last year (3rd best in the NFL).

He’s deadly on the run outside the pocket … and now he’s shown the rest of the NFL (quite convincingly) what we and Pete Carroll have always known – that he is just as deadly FROM inside the pocket as well. He has evolved into one of the truly elite passers in this game and the numbers show it. He is right up there with Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, and whomever else you want to compare him to. Even the NY Daily News might even eventually begrudgingly admit that.
Great post.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":2j8upmk6 said:

He looked a lot like Brees last game, albeit with a quicker release.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Back in the early RW years, I can remember this internal fight among hawk fans.

Many fans here argued that his weakness was that he held the ball too long, that he needed to hit his back foot on his drop and get it out.

Now that he is, we can see just how right that argument is. As long as he keeps that up when he is healthy, and only uses his mobility when absolutely necessary, he, and this offense, will be nearly unstoppable.

rigelian

Reaction score
I actually think that two things have happened, the offensive line is stopping rushes straight up the middle on Russell and Russell has finally learned the art of climbing up into the pocket. Given that, it's hard to determine whether it is Bevil, Pete's, Russell, or the offensive line's fault. My guess is that it is a combination of all them.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Not arguing the points being made but this (pretty good) article analyzing the CJ Spiller TD is a bit of a counter:

--
Spiller’s story is great, and based on a few touches against the Jets he should be an exciting addition to this team. But the real hero of this play is Captain Seahawk himself, Russell Wilson.
http://www.hawkblogger.com/2016/10/seah ... -jets.html

mikeak

Reaction score
His release time is directly related to not running around with the ball.

One of those runs adds three to four seconds to holding the ball. So if he has 5 of those in a game then you are adding 20 total seconds of holding the ball. If you take that on 30 drop-backs that is about 0.67 seconds added to every single dropback on average. That is a huge number.

Point being - this doesn't actually prove that he gets rid of the ball any faster while being in the pocket - he just doesn't move from the pocket much now due to the injury so the clock moves accordingly

Seymour

Reaction score
Wilson will NEVER have a top release time. He's a scrambling QB looking to throw and that will always eat time. I think it should improve some from like say early last year, but overall I expect he will always be in the bottom half once he gets healthy again.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
mikeak":17c8gp5c said:
His release time is directly related to not running around with the ball.

One of those runs adds three to four seconds to holding the ball. So if he has 5 of those in a game then you are adding 20 total seconds of holding the ball. If you take that on 30 drop-backs that is about 0.67 seconds added to every single dropback on average. That is a huge number.

Point being - this doesn't actually prove that he gets rid of the ball any faster while being in the pocket - he just doesn't move from the pocket much now due to the injury so the clock moves accordingly

Good point. The average is definitely skewed now.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":1zip8tlh said:

From the same logic that dictates a chef likely prepared my meal, or a mail carrier delivered my mail. If Bevell is an offensive coordinator without coordinating an offense, then all the more reason to cut him loose, lol. If it's all Pete's call anyway, let's stuff any warm body there for half the cost. Hell, I'll stand on the sideline and blame my receivers for not being "stronger to the ball" for a fraction of the market price.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":1bvnb95z said:
Ad Hawk":1bvnb95z said:

From the same logic that dictates a chef likely prepared my meal, or a mail carrier delivered my mail. If Bevell is an offensive coordinator without coordinating an offense, then all the more reason to cut him loose, lol. If it's all Pete's call anyway, let's stuff any warm body there for half the cost. Hell, I'll stand on the sideline and blame my receivers for not being "stronger to the ball" for a fraction of the market price.

The analogy breaks down because Russ is the cook, Bevell tries to give him the recipe and show him how to cook, and PC is the head Chef who sets the menu.

There are too many hands in the process to be justified blaming only one person when the food isn't as you wish.

Nothing in football is "all [someone's] call." That's the fallacy that needs to be called out in this case. The argument is old, tired, and without merit.