Defensive Tackles

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'm really liking our depth at DT, which looked to be a big question mark this offseason.

So Jarran Reed was out this game, and yet we still held the Jets to 58 yards rushing, a team with a good OL and a will to make their hay last game running the ball.

Tony McDaniel is playing really good ball still. I honestly don't know why they wouldn't bring him back to TC at least, unless they have some young guys they really like and want to get reps. He's playing great vs. the run and has a batted ball so far.

Rubin doesn't get much pocket push, but he's stout vs. the run. He also played pretty well at NT so far, a position he wasn't that great at in Cleveland.

Garrison Smith is the kid we signed from the Niners when they cut him. He's getting reps and had 4 tackles against the Niners last week.

We can rotate these guys at both DT positions, and usually have Bennett or Clark coming in at 3 tech in obvious passing downs.

Polk738

Reaction score
I like our depth as well but I'm still wanting Reed to get back in it, does anyone know how serious his injury is? I was curious as I saw they signed another defensive lineman so I wasn't sure if it was because of Reed's injury

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Polk738":2rmbqfw1 said:
I like our depth as well but I'm still wanting Reed to get back in it, does anyone know how serious his injury is? I was curious as I saw they signed another defensive lineman so I wasn't sure if it was because of Reed's injury
Can't find a quote to link to but PC said on Monday (may have been B&S) that he thinks Reed will be among those who will return for the next (Atlanta) game.

OP
OP
H

Hawks46

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I want Reed back as well, but I thought we would have a little bit of a drop off in run defense with him out. That was my one "not so good feeling" about the game was that the Jets might be able to establish the run with him out.

Him being out didn't hurt us at all, although I will say that I think he has the potential to push the pocket better than Rubin does. He may not get to the QB but he forces them to move around a bit which is still very valuable.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Hawks46":3g6u7o6r said:
Don't get me wrong, I want Reed back as well, but I thought we would have a little bit of a drop off in run defense with him out. That was my one "not so good feeling" about the game was that the Jets might be able to establish the run with him out.

Him being out didn't hurt us at all, although I will say that I think he has the potential to push the pocket better than Rubin does. He may not get to the QB but he forces them to move around a bit which is still very valuable.
Agreed, he has been very good. That also helps with rotating guys to keep them fresh - most especially against run-heavy teams.

Today's Everett Herald includes the line ".. Jarran Reed (hip) and TE Nick Vannett (ankle), who were inactive for Sunday's game, are expected to be ready in two weeks."

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Jefferson is the tackle I'm bummed about being hurt.

He had arguably the best camp and preseason of all the tackles, so I was pumped to see what he could do in real games. Hopefully his hand heals quickly.

With a healthy Reed and Jefferson I think our line is right up there with 2013's.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
--
#Seahawks just signed rookie DE Sterling Bailey to fill one spot on the practice squad (one spot left). 6'4, 296 lbs now, 5.23 40, 9'4 broad

Laloosh

Reaction score
I was really interested to see how Rubin and company held up against the run with Carp coming at them on the left side of the Jets OL. Obviously, quite well.

Pretty stoked about our pass rush as well. We're not leading the league in sacks but we're getting pressure and forcing quick decisions which will pay dividends.