Russell Wilson TD to CJ Spiller breakdown by HawkBlogger

JesterHawk

Reaction score
Wow. From that angle, that throw looks even more ridiculous. He just wings it in there with arm strength.

sutz

Reaction score
JesterHawk":392n2pn1 said:
Wow. From that angle, that throw looks even more ridiculous. He just wings it in there with arm strength.
Yeah, great example of how he's starting to really thread the needle on some throws. I'd bet that 2-3 years ago, he wouldn't have let fly on that one.

Well, he is supposed to improve with age. :)

byau

Reaction score
Wow.. that is an amazing analysis. I would have just chalked this up to Russell scrambling too early which I'm convinced he still does once in awhile but is improving on staying in the pocket and being patient. And look at me eating crow, this is an amazing example of his patience, foresight, reads, and using all his abilities to make the play. Not to mention I think it was Lynch in the booth that also brought in Russell's baseball experience into play giving him a different insight on angles.

Amazing

sutz

Reaction score
byau":3ltw1clt said:
Wow.. that is an amazing analysis. I would have just chalked this up to Russell scrambling too early which I'm convinced he still does once in awhile but is improving on staying in the pocket and being patient. And look at me eating crow, this is an amazing example of his patience, foresight, reads, and using all his abilities to make the play. Not to mention I think it was Lynch in the booth that also brought in Russell's baseball experience into play giving him a different insight on angles.

Amazing
Interesting, I missed the quote about his baseball experience. I imagine it's not just about angles. In many baseball throws you have to judge the speeds involved and whether or not the ball will get there before a player is.

Kind of never thought of that.

Thanks.

byau

Reaction score
sutz":s6s3vl77 said:
byau":s6s3vl77 said:

Amazing
Interesting, I missed the quote about his baseball experience. I imagine it's not just about angles. In many baseball throws you have to judge the speeds involved and whether or not the ball will get there before a player is.

Kind of never thought of that.

Thanks.

Ha.. I listen to so much sports radio and broadcasts I don't recall where I heard it from. I'm giving a 51.5% chance it was from the broadcast booth during the game :)

Regardless, very true it is an interesting bit of extra experience and insight Russell brings to the game. Not to mention the coordination of being able to throw on the run, throw across the body, etc. that you see many baseball players do

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
byau":br4pr3ij said:
Wow.. this is an amazing example of his patience, foresight, reads, and using all his abilities to make the play.
Yep - No 'statue' QB could have pulled that one off.

Hawks46

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":2q01dzdr said:
That play, at Gang Green
http://www.ganggreennation.com/2016/10/ ... k-there-of

"Both end up covering Wilson while the back slips inside. Harris should have help inside, but both Lee and Gilchrist are QB watching."

Interesting. On that McEvoy TD, the other WR (I think Lockett) that Revis was covering was also open on the deep in. When McEvoy is streaking through the middle of the field, Lockett is coming back to the QB with 4 yards of separation with Revis. Wilson could've thrown it to the inside shoulder and Revis is giving up an easy 15 yard completion. I'm kind of shocked at how you can run 2 WR's and have both of them be open.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Hawks46":zwzvp04o said:
LeftHandSmoke":zwzvp04o said:
That play, at Gang Green
http://www.ganggreennation.com/2016/10/ ... k-there-of

"Both end up covering Wilson while the back slips inside. Harris should have help inside, but both Lee and Gilchrist are QB watching."

Interesting. On that McEvoy TD, the other WR (I think Lockett) that Revis was covering was also open on the deep in. When McEvoy is streaking through the middle of the field, Lockett is coming back to the QB with 4 yards of separation with Revis. Wilson could've thrown it to the inside shoulder and Revis is giving up an easy 15 yard completion. I'm kind of shocked at how you can run 2 WR's and have both of them be open.
Agree, and yes that was TL

Hawks46

Reaction score
hawksfan515":2i5od5l9 said:
Great article.

http://www.hawkblogger.com/2016/10/seah ... -jets.html

I personally had no idea that Russell scrambling to his right was intentional like that, I thought it was just to escape pressure. On review, Russell is amazing on this play.

It's nice to see the gif. In replay on TV, they showed the angle from behind, and it looked like Wilson bailed to the right too early, and missed Spiller, then throws off his back foot and threads the needle. From the other angle, Harris isn't nearly as close to the play as it looked from behind. By the time he gets his arm up, the ball is in Spiller's hands. From behind Wilson, it looks like he misses the ball by mere inches.

I don't know why Russ bailed. Maybe he didn't have a throwing lane, or maybe he couldn't see. There really wasn't pressure. Drifting to his right, he also pulled a guy out of the middle. This is where that buffoon from from that article we all made fun of might actually have a point. Did the threat of Wilson's mobility open things up ?

This is honestly why I love football analysis. Did Wilson drift right because of sight issues ? Did he not want to arc the ball over DLmen and put too much air under it ? Did he drift right because he didn't trust Sowell ? (I wouldn't blame him, Sowell got straight owned a few times...even though the protection is there, the trust definitely isn't). Was Wilson purposefully trying to hold the Lber underneath and hold the safety to the right ? (If so, it shows Wilson is grasping the game at a very high level).

It honestly looked like Wilson was going to miss Spiller, then he hits him anyways.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Yes, in the view from behind I coulda swore that the ball grazed the arm of Harris, and that CJ caught it despite it changing trajectory. Good to see it so well analyzed, now from two sites.

Ripping it that hard while on the move strongly suggests that RW is going to be just fine, he was strong and confident even on Sunday.

Whether or not he fully intended to look those two guys off with his mobility, it had that effect.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":243j2n52 said:
byau":243j2n52 said:
Wow.. this is an amazing example of his patience, foresight, reads, and using all his abilities to make the play.
Meh, any game manager could have made that throw. :sarcasm_off: 8)

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":vbm5ozj7 said:
LeftHandSmoke":vbm5ozj7 said:
byau":vbm5ozj7 said:
Yep, 'Statue' is like 'Game Manager' and (geezus would people freaking stop with it?) 'ELLEEETT' - so been-there already!

That play was (let's try something fresh) Revolutionary Wild :)

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":1h3185m3 said:
Sports Hernia":1h3185m3 said:
LeftHandSmoke":1h3185m3 said:
byau":1h3185m3 said:
Yep, 'Statue' is like 'Game Manager' and (geezus would people freaking stop with it?) 'ELLEEETT' - so been-there already!

It was a joke, note the sarcasm emoticon.

The play was sick (in a good way).

Folks that seriously call Russ a game manager either.... don't watch him play, are jealous rivals that wish they had a QB of his caliber, or are Pete Pissquick-Prisco.

byau

Reaction score
What I find interesting is the two defenders both went with Russell (I'm guessing one linebacker, one safety) which means breakdown in coverage and communication

Earlier in the game, I think on the first or second Jets drive, there was a fantastic play where KJ closed the gap REAL fast on Fitz and sacked him. Fitz had scrambled and rolled left and immediately KJ who had somewhat dropped in coverage left his man and closed the gap on Fitz really fast and sacked him. In one of the replays what you can also see is Earl who started moving to his left, almost at the exact same time KJ bolted for Fitz, Earl bolted for the guy who KJ was dropping into coverage for. i.e. Earl and KJ saw the same thing at the same time and Earl changed direction to cover up that area while KJ went for the QB. Which means, no break down in coverage, non-verbal communication where the guys are on the same page and stay disciplined and know where they're supposed to go, not just everyone go for the QB.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":hvxbfe6a said:
LeftHandSmoke":hvxbfe6a said:
Sports Hernia":hvxbfe6a said:
LeftHandSmoke":hvxbfe6a said:

Folks that seriously call Russ a game manager either.... don't watch him play, are jealous rivals that wish they had a QB of his caliber, or are Pete Pissquick-Prisco.
They're sick too, just like the play.

I did go with your drift, just got an oar stuck for a sec, cheers.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":1jjrupzk said:
Sports Hernia":1jjrupzk said:
LeftHandSmoke":1jjrupzk said:
Sports Hernia":1jjrupzk said:

They're sick too, just like the play.

I did go with your drift, just got an oar stuck for a sec, cheers.
No worries. :2thumbs: