ATL staying in seattle? Man East coast teams are weak

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Remember Bill Belicheat snapping his fingers and getting the NFL to change their scheduling habits to help out east coast teams when they have to "GASP" travel west???

Well now ATL is staying in Seattle after playing in Denver yesterday. My god East coast teams are soft. No matter the fact that we travel almost 10,000 more miles this year then Atl does. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2016- ... he-fewest/

Baby soft. Enjoy your hotel, and not seeing your families for a week.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I don't know, seems like a smart move when a team has back to back road games. I wish the Hawks would do the same thing when they travel back to back on the East Coast.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I don't get it. It's not like Denver is right next to Seattle. Denver is in the middle of the country. It would be one thing if they played the Niners, but Denver that close to Seattle.

Islander

Reaction score
The bigger question is - why didn't the Seahawks travel directly to Charlotte after beating Minny in the playoffs??

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah soft or smart? Have them acclimate to the weather and time zone for a full week before playing...I can think of a million worse things to do as a team.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
Aros":1dq1flpd said:
Yeah soft or smart? Have them acclimate to the weather and time zone for a full week before playing...I can think of a million worse things to do as a team.

Actually I am not sure this is smart. There are very real trade-offs that have to be considered, not the least of which it throws off your practice routine day to day with a different facility and accommodations, not to mention not sleeping in your own bed for an extended period of time. I believe there was an article written a couple years ago that detailed this and the results. I'll search for it if I can, but I believe it concluded there wasn't a great deal of benefit to staying on the road for a back to back because of the other impacts.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
gowazzu02":29llvktn said:
Remember Bill Belicheat snapping his fingers and getting the NFL to change their scheduling habits to help out east coast teams when they have to "GASP" travel west???

Well now ATL is staying in Seattle after playing in Denver yesterday. My god East coast teams are soft. No matter the fact that we travel almost 10,000 more miles this year then Atl does. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2016- ... he-fewest/

Baby soft. Enjoy your hotel, and not seeing your families for a week.

This forum would be on fire with NFL conspiracy theories and "the league hates us" threads if we had two straight long distance trips back east.

Hard to blame Quinn for staying out west.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Really, you don't need to acclimate from 1 PM to 4 PM, like you would from 1pm back to 10 AM, that said, I don't think this is really about that. It's more about the team bonding together, getting the team to work like a team. It's Dan Quinn, he liked the spirit the Seahawks had and wants to instill it in his Falcons.

seahawksny

Reaction score
Islander":1cdx9ne4 said:
The bigger question is - why didn't the Seahawks travel directly to Charlotte after beating Minny in the playoffs??

And previously in 2013 when they went to washington and then Atlanta.

The combined scores by Carolina and Atlanta in those two games in first half alone was something like 52-0

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It isn't weak.

It is smart.

I was very frustrated last year after the freaking Vikings game that we went back to Seattle, instead of finding a location on the EC to practice and prepare for the Carolina game. Given how we slept-walked through that game, that probably cost us the game.

It isn't like Carroll does not know people or that our owner does not have means. Frankly, we should have a permanent East Coast location we use for back to backs. Back to backs should not ever include a trip home, it makes no sense on any level.

There have been studies that have shown that regardless of the jet lag the body is physically weaker for from 48 to 72 hours after a 4-hour flight. This move reduces that issue.

The wise thing to do should obviously be, don't travel if you can avoid it.

It isn't "weak", it is removing a factor that can affect performance. Has nothing to do with being tough.

I wish Carroll & our FO would do it.

mikeak

Reaction score
Actually more surprised that they didn't stay in Denver for a few more days. Practicing at high altitude helps athletes

Either way I posted about this awhile ago. Quinn clearly learned from the travel to DC then down to Atlanta games. Seattle came out flat in both those games.

Sadly enough we didn't learn from those games and repeated the mistakes last year

fuego

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":26mo3ofw said:
Still a smart move to come out to Seattle for the week.

Quinn requested of the league that these two games be back to back so they wouldn't have to travel cross country twice. Also bonding among the teammates, etc. Smart move in my opinion too.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Not to derail the topic, but I always thought it was Pittsburgh who complained about having to travel west. Was it the Pats?

I think Atlanta is smart to do it. I think they were smart to ask. I can't believe the NFL acquiesced to their request to get those games back to back. Is it common for the NFL to take team requests into consideration when scheduling? I'm guessing they didn't for the Panthers and their opening game. That should be a no-request/no-specail-treatment process.

OP
OP
gowazzu02

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Im surprised more aren't agreeing with me.

First of all it completely changes what you normally do. Which in of itself admits that its a concern. You ever think Pete or RW would admit to being concerned about anything?

It gets them out of their own bed. I do some traveling for work and get put up in nice hotels but you never quite sleep the same.

It gets them away from their families,

It's a distraction if you ask me.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":10hm5sbs said:
This forum would be on fire with NFL conspiracy theories and "the league hates us" threads if we had two straight long distance trips back east.

I get what you're saying but when the league makes arbitrary decisions and grants some requests and not others, it is hard not to see some sort of favortism. It's not a 'league hates us" thing because the issue is much bigger than just the Seahawks. It's a west coast/east coast thing at the least or more likely it is a Goodell favored son thing. I have no idea if Goodell and Arthur Blank are close, but given Rivera's bitching about opening at Denver to start the year, I'm guessing he didn't get the treatment he wanted (or more likely, didn't have the "in" to ask). Given the ongoing complaints about having to fly East without anything being done about it but quick resolutions for those teams who fly west, it certainly looks capricious.

mikeak

Reaction score
Largent80":2y3ru5x4 said:
There is a big difference between sleeping in your own bed and house vs. a hotel.

Agree - don't have to take kids to school, cook dinner or do anything else around the house..........

I get that it wears on you but NFL players have regular lives. They can now focus 100% on football - if they lived on the road for a full year that would be one thing but basically 5-6 extra nights is nothing assuming it is a nice hotel that is pretty quiet