The season begins this Sunday

seabowl

Reaction score
Obviously before a season starts you cannot tell accurately who of your opponents is good and who is not. Now that we have played four games we know the teams we have faced are probably bottom 16 teams. Frankly the Fins and Jets were the2 that I think most of us would have thought would be better then they are. Of the teams we have left on the schedule we do know the Falcons are probably a top 10 team this year, the Pats definitely, probably Green Bay and maybe just maybe the Bills. Can't remember if we play the Iggles but they just maybe a top 10 too.

I know we're 3-1 but are we actually good? IMO I can't tell from the teams we've played so starting this week we'll get a better idea. I sure hope we are as good as I think we can be but am most concerned about our LT situation as it stands (or turnstiles/false starts) now.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
We are 3-1 despite Russell Wilson being injured since midway through the first game. When he recovers more of his mobility, the rest of the NFL will be on notice.

12thbrah

Reaction score
We really should be 4-0 if we didn't piss away that ridiculous Rams game.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
12thbrah":mq59jvvv said:

Yeah, that game was an anomaly in the fact that we couldn't score a TD. That is so rare in the Russell Wilson era. I chalk that one up to his injury limiting his mobility. It played right into the Rams' Defense strength.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
HawkFan72":as5smzqs said:
12thbrah":as5smzqs said:

Yeah, that game was an anomaly in the fact that we couldn't score a TD. That is so rare in the Russell Wilson era. I chalk that one up to his injury limiting his mobility. It played right into the Rams' Defense strength.

Chalk it up to Jeff Fisher selling his soul. That's the only explanation I have for the Rams recent dominance over Seattle and his ability to keep a job despite his record for mediocrity.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
If you have to ask if this team is good, not sure what to say. They not only are good, they are going to be VERY good, and improve big time as the season rolls along.

edogg23

Reaction score
12thbrah":24lql47s said:
We had a lot of things go our way in the Phins game though....

Followthelegion

Reaction score
edogg23":xu7ok7qx said:
12thbrah":xu7ok7qx said:
We had a lot of things go our way in the Phins game though....

This one is the anomaly this season in my eyes.

San Fran and NYJ games were dominating, the scores should have been even more lopsided.

RW limited mobility against that Rams defense, combined with what seemed to be a plethora of big penalties (10 / 15 yard ones), but the defense still played solid ball giving up 3 field goals.

The dolphins game was strange, and I don't think the ankle injury was entirely relevant (it certainly had an impact but was not a root cause, esp given the time elapsed by the time it happened!). Offense seemed so lethargic, despite all pieces being available. I'm not sure if Graham was rusty, missing Ifedi was another upheaval for the line, or there was a combination of factors meaning we scored 6 points before the late TD drive.

Nagging feeling is that we can't rely on the run game consistently, the O-line in past years has always been proficient in the run game and the eye test says this isn't quite the same this year.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The Rams play dirty.

It is pretty clear that our guys go in there and instead of being focused on trying to win the game, the focus switches to just getting out of the game without getting injured. That is going to destroy your execution and it shows in the lack of results we put up vs other teams.

Essentially the Rams turn into a game long distraction and I am not sure you can even hold it against our guys by being affected - since their livelihoods depend on their health.

I used to think they matched up well against us, but we have played other teams that matchup just as well with us in terms of strengths vs weakness but we do not have the same issues.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
12thbrah":38y2myl2 said:

A lot of people on this board complained about the refs in that game but to be fair Sowell false started around 600 times that game without being called. As someone else pointed out the Fins game was close too. I hope that we pull it together especially from the OL standpoint as in years past now that they've played a few mostly together.

My OP was purely about us not really playing any tough teams as of yet and the good teams are ahead of us on the schedule.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2pma200w said:
The Rams play dirty.

It is pretty clear that our guys go in there and instead of being focused on trying to win the game, the focus switches to just getting out of the game without getting injured. That is going to destroy your execution and it shows in the lack of results we put up vs other teams.

Essentially the Rams turn into a game long distraction and I am not sure you can even hold it against our guys by being affected - since their livelihoods depend on their health.

I used to think they matched up well against us, but we have played other teams that matchup just as well with us in terms of strengths vs weakness but we do not have the same issues.
This is an interesting theory and there may well be some merit to it.

We're going to learn a lot about the 2016 edition of the Seattle Seahawks this Sunday. This is a game against a quality NFC contender in what may well be poor weather conditions.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
The Everett Herald has this

First four opponents are:
6-14 (-128 points)
Next six opponents:
17-11 (+177 points)

Falcons are 4-1, +35

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":3pfuvsae said:

6-14 (-128 points)
Next six opponents:
17-11 (+177 points)

Falcons are 4-1, +35

Exactly the point of the original statement

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
seabowl":2u3eewsi said:
LeftHandSmoke":2u3eewsi said:

6-14 (-128 points)
Next six opponents:
17-11 (+177 points)

Falcons are 4-1, +35

Exactly the point of the original statement
Bingo. Agreed, this is the first strong test out of six to come.

Bring it!

Hawks46

Reaction score
I think we're a good team. I would've been happy at 2-2 at this point in the season. I thought if we lost to the Rams then we would probably lose to the Jets due to both teams having elite DL's against a new OL.

Think about all the things that have gone wrong so far this season:

1st round draft pick Ifedi only played 1 game so far.

Brand new OL (again). We have a Center starting his first NFL game at the position, we have a LG starting his first NFL game at the position, we have a journeyman (at best) LT, we have a rookie RG that couldn't even play, then we have his replacement who has gotten all his reps in TC at RT, and a RT that had the most experience on the OL at 1 year. It had the potential to be a LOT worse than it had.

Our starting QB got injured not once, but twice. Both injuries keep most guys out for at least a game.

Our #2 WR was injured (Lockett). We're still not getting meaningful reps from him.

Baldwin was dinged in one game. Lots of teams deal with this, but it did affect his play a bit.

Our presumed starting RB has played what, a half a game ? He was a top 3 RB last year in terms of production.

Our 2nd round rookie DT missed 1 game.

Now look at what's gone right:

Graham has come back ahead of schedule (what most people thought anyways) and has found chemistry with Russ.

Michael has stepped up and looks like a starting RB.

Richardson has stayed healthy and gives us another weapon.

There's been a lot more we've overcome than not. It stands to reason that the OL will improve, guys like Lockett and Wilson will get healthier, and our depth starts to get more experience. This team hasn't peaked yet by any means, and we're historically a stronger 2nd half team under Carroll. mix this in with Arizona looking out of sorts and we're in good position. We need to hold our serve at home and win half of our road games (like GB) and we'll be just fine.