Petes decision to Punt on 4th and 1 at midfield.

2_0_6

Reaction score
I was REALLY hoping he would roll the dice and go for it. If we did end up losing this game, this is one of the things that would have stuck in my mind.

No faith in the running game, or our O-line after 5 games.

andyh64000

Reaction score
It wasn't even 4th and 1 it was 4th and 2 inches. I thought it was a horrible decision and almost cost us the game.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":1t7jo23q said:
I was REALLY hoping he would roll the dice and go for it. If we did end up losing this game, this is one of the things that would have stuck in my mind.

No faith in the running game, or our O-line after 5 games.

I don't think we can state that for certain.

The way Atlanta was moving the ball, I think he just didn't want them to get the ball at midfield with all that momentum they had.

OP
OP
2_0_6

2_0_6

Reaction score
Best way to kill their momentum, is to gain 6" and keep the drive going.

Jeremy517

Reaction score
Pete is an awesome coach, but he is consistently over-conservative on fourth down. It is his biggest flaw. Punting there is lighting win equity on fire.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
If he'd gone for it, not got it and the Falcons scored -- there'd be a thread saying he should've punted.

I think he should've gone for it too but to be fair on Pete -- they punted to the three yard line and then a holding penalty put it back at the one. That was a fantastic outcome. Then the defense gave up a 98.5 yard drive.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Jeremy517":3rp3kd3d said:
Pete is an awesome coach, but he is consistently over-conservative on fourth down. It is his biggest flaw. Punting there is lighting win equity on fire.

This isn't true at all.

He almost always goes for fourth downs.

I think he should have gone on this play too because Atlanta had momentum and we needed to get it back.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":iemwzn9y said:
Best way to kill their momentum, is to gain 6" and keep the drive going.

Best way to lose the game is not get it and they march down a short field and score again.

Easy to armchair coach it. He would have been crushed if he went for it and they didn't get it.

I understood it. Fans always want to go for it...I get that, too.

Fade

Reaction score
Scared that the team couldn't get 2 inches at home against a meh D-Line was extremely telling.

I'm glad the team won, but the defense was gassed, and they needed a rest. Quinn was in the same situation and went for it, and got it. A total opposite scenario, on the road, stout D-Line, and still went for it. Quinn is man.

Polk738

Reaction score
if it would've been a full yard I could've understood but it was like 6'', Russ and the OL could've snuck that across, Pete was relying WAY too much on the defense and they STILL scored-very frustrating

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I was LIVID that we didn't go for it there. So much so that I about lost it in my section where people had to laugh at me for blowing my lid.

THAT is the time you show your team and the world what's what.

Still pissed about it to be honest.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
If we had Rawls we would have gone for it. With Michael the result was in doubt. I didn't like the call but I understand the reasons. Michael is not very good at getting critical small gains.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Aros":3epcratx said:
I was LIVID that we didn't go for it there. So much so that I about lost it in my section where people had to laugh at me for blowing my lid.

THAT is the time you show your team and the world what's what.

Still pissed about it to be honest.
LOLOL...I feel your pain. I'll admit it, I booed.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more Kiwi. Michaels doesn't have that fight for yards mentality that we've come to expect from every RB now that we've been spoiled by Lynch.

Pin them deep and trust your defense. That's Pete's mantra.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
sammyc521":2ulsn5sf said:
Couldn't agree more Kiwi. Michaels doesn't have that fight for yards mentality that we've come to expect from every RB now that we've been spoiled by Lynch.

Pin them deep and trust your defense. That's Pete's mantra.

Plus, Michael had just pussied out on the previous play.

Pete was pissed. Probably punted out of anger at CMike

Jeremy517

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":27nn3uaz said:
Jeremy517":27nn3uaz said:

This isn't true at all.

He almost always goes for fourth downs.

The Seahawks had the fewest fourth down attempts last year. The Seahawks were tied for the seventh fewest attempts each of the two years before that. This year, the Seahawks are tied for the fifth-fewest attemps.

Pete is very conservative on fourth down now.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Yeah Dan Quinn is the man.... The losing man. Great he was successful on 1 fourth down. 26-24 but man that was a great call

rjdriver

Reaction score
What's interesting is for the longest time, Pete was criticized for NOT punting. (Texas /USC)

You have it to go for it on 4th and inches when in opponents territory. If a team is hot and moving the ball with ease, it only takes one or two plays to get them back to your LOS anyway. You have to go for that!

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":3cau8yp3 said:
Ok question...

Who thinks if we still had Marshawn, we go for it there?

I think if we had a healthy Wilson,
Rawls
or
Pope
we go for it.