Blatant hands to face on last play

cymatica

Reaction score
Everyone is talking about PI on Sherman and ignoring jones blatantly hitting him in the face. litterally punches him and you can see sherman almost fall down right off the line. Funny theres 2 articles on nfl.com front page complaining, yet if they watch their own video of the play you can't miss it.

Can someone please post a gif of this.

253hawk

Reaction score
UntriedBoringGosling.gif

OP
OP
cymatica

cymatica

Reaction score
Thanks, should tweet this out asking for an apology

OpHawk

Reaction score
Guys, that wasn't much. Complaining about this type of stuff makes us look small.

Hawks won this game fair and square. We don't have to apologize to anyone the way this franchise has been treated over the years.

OP
OP
cymatica

cymatica

Reaction score
This is not a complaint, its a rebuttle to everyone claiming the falcons got screwed.

Same play, same players, both committed penalties, neither if which got called.

Smellyman

Reaction score
OpHawk":1sl8odpc said:
Guys, that wasn't much. Complaining about this type of stuff makes us look small.

Hawks won this game fare and square. We don't have to apologize to anyone the way this franchise has been treated over the years.

No that is a bigger missed call than the OPI and a HUGE point of emphasis in the NFL. ANY hands to the face is a penalty, THAT wasa full on slap to the head.

mikeak

Reaction score
Yeah offsetting penalties should have been called and just confirms what we saw all game. They let them play and it was equal across the board

OP
OP
cymatica

cymatica

Reaction score
Z man, you stole the thoughts out of my brain. Everyone is sick of the pussyfication

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
One could just have easily point out that while you could argue the PI they did against Kearse did not get called because it was potentially uncatchable, they did have a fist full of the jersey so at the least it was defensive holding.

That blown call screwed us out of either another set of downs (near the EZ) or 1st and goal just outside of the 1. Either way, an almost sure TD....so that missed Kearse call, and the 'missed call' on 4th down easily cancel each other out.

To be fair, there was PI on both sides ALL NIGHT LONG. So deciding to call the game loose all game and suddenly on 4th down deciding to switch to favor one team? That would be beyond the pale too.

The Falcons screwed themselves with the INT, it wasn't the refs.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Hawks always push it to the limit when it comes to holding and grabbing. They figure out early in the game how physical the refs will let them be. If anything Sherman prob knew already the ref was not going to call anything in the end.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":21n7zx2g said:
I'm generally disgusted by any type of media by now. NFL and ESPN makes me want to retch on the same level of Fox, CNN, and all the other poopshows that pass for news.

You don't want a game ending on some weak ass penalty call... it's tradition in sports to let the players slug it out on the last play, and you only call the most blatant crap.

I am so done with this "waaa waaa waaaa" safe place society led by a media that has abandoned all reason and dignity for what amounts to a nightly fishwife gossip hour.

That's what our news and sports coverage are these day... gossip, and opinions, and nagging, nagging, nagging. It drives me crazy.

This kvetching and whining and hissing about every little thing under the sun when you don't get your way is madness.

Excuse me if I'm in "mansplaining" mode right now, but holy crap, isn't it about time for folks to grow up. If this game were reversed, and it was Jimmy Graham or Kearse that couldn't come up with the game winning catch on 4th down... I'd say this...

"Why were we relying on a long bomb on 4th and long to win the game in the first place?" Matt Ryan had 3 other chances to get the first down and move the chains, and he FAILED.

So shut up Falcon fans.

I'd put that failure squarely on my team, not the refs.

I hear you Z! The amount of feminine style whining has gotten absurd both in sports and in the media. You didn't see that 10, 20 years ago. If your entire argument in that your team was unjustly denied victory because of a physical 4th and long hail mary than you're not analyzing the entire game and the way it was officiated. It was a slugfest all day and this zebra crew believed in allowing incidental contact and at times more on both sides. It's just the way their strike zone was all day so to speak.

jon70

Reaction score
OpHawk":2u2a7ac2 said:

Hawks won this game fare and square. We don't have to apologize to anyone the way this franchise has been treated over the years.

This post was Vinny Testaverde approved

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
It is simple. If Sherman did not have face to mask against him then he would have been in better position againstJJ. He lost a step with that smack. IMHO they kinda offset. Either way no amount of whining or even acknowledgment of bad call will change outcome of game.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen a hands to the face penalty called on that quick of a slap. It's usually called when someone gets their hand under someone's chin or facemask and pushes their head back.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2jz7u49i said:
I don't think I've ever seen a hands to the face penalty called on that quick of a slap. It's usually called when someone gets their hand under someone's chin or facemask and pushes their head back.

I'm sure there is a name for the penalty that Jones committed by slapping Sherman in the head.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Seanhawk":21c13g10 said:

You normally don't see a player redirected the way Sherman was either. That penalty was much more visible also.

If the play is called correctly it's offsetting penalties. Play over. If they call either one without calling the other then a fan base has a legitimate beef but they didn't.

You can make a better argument on the Kearse hold off the line and then PI. If that is called we likely don't see that final Atlanta offensive play.