Make PI Reviewable

mrt144

Reaction score
Nah. There should not be a review for any penalty. It will bog the game down even more.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
HawkGA":24xy6vbr said:
And here it is. I knew the drumbeat would start after the Seahawks game.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1781 ... ence-calls

Well it wouldn't have affected our game anyway. They are not lobbying be able to throw flags, they are lobbying to review flags that have been thrown.

In our game there would have been nothing to challenge.

Now the prior game where Sherman was called for PI when he was obviously getting mugged by the receiver, that would have been able to be challenged and it would have been overturned.

I'm all for PI being a challenge-able call though. I don't want to win or lose by that type of penalty.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
RichNhansom":h0jq7feq said:
HawkGA":h0jq7feq said:

Well it wouldn't have affected our game anyway. They are not lobbying be able to throw flags, they are lobbying to review flags that have been thrown.

Now the prior game where Sherman was called for PI when he was obviously getting mugged by the receiver, that would have been able to be challenged and it would have been overturned.

I'm all for PI being a challenge-able call though. I don't want to win or lose by that type of penalty.

I'm not. Too much of a judgment call. It will turn into a "what outcome do the refs want" review. Or at least it will be perceived that way. Should holding be reviewable? Facemask? At least facemask is pretty clear cut rule wise.

Schadie001

Reaction score
Where's the outrage over the none PI call when Kearse was running down the middle of the field. We would've gotten the hall on about the 15yrd line and most likely scored.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Yeah, please NO. This would ruin the game for me. Judgment/subjective calls like PI and holding should never be reviewable at any time during a game because they vary in when they are called and the standard is different for each crew and game.

It's more important for officials to call games consistently. Sure, it was technically pass interference by Sherman...but reviewing the play and then throwing the flag would be inconsistent with how it was called all day. Besides, it would only be fair to review the play for other penalties that might have occurred within that play, such as if the the WR headslapped the CB at the line of scrimmage. And that would just be a nightmare and would take FOREVER.

Bad idea all around...and with declining TV ratings, don't expect the NFL to incorporate any more reviewable penalties anytime soon.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
No, the game is becoming almost unwatchable as it is with all the reviews and play stoppages. Just realize it's a human endeavor and will be flawed.

davidonmi

Reaction score
no. you want reviews on almost every play?
Should the hands to the face on the line have been reviewable on that play as well?
There's a human element that exists in every sport. The NFL doesn't even know how to review a catch properly, you want them in the business of reviewing PI as well?

davidonmi

Reaction score
I don't even want a black and while penalty like false start or grasping the facemask reviewed, let alone PI

Reaction score
Best comment and reply in that thread:

Robert Erickson:So, Pete, if Doug Baldwin gets grabbed by the arm with 1 minute left on 4th and 10, down by 2, you would say it was incidental? I do not believe so.]So, Pete, if Doug Baldwin gets grabbed by the arm with 1 minute left on 4th and 10, down by 2, you would say it was incidental? I do not believe so.

Kirkland Follis:No because Doug Baldwin would have made that catch. Just like he did last year against the Vikings.

minormillikin

Reaction score
Please, there are enough reviews and the ones we have don't always get it right. Maybe if they can find ways to go faster.

Currently reviewed plays go like this:
1. Half a second before the next play, the coach throws the red flag.
2. A ref goes over and talks to coach for a minute.
3. All the refs gather up and have a conference.
4. A ref turns on his mic and finally announces that the previous play is under review (why hasn't a preliminary review already started?...).
5. Game goes to a full batch of commercials.
6. Back from commercials, and before finding out the result, commentators show a few more angles and speculate about the call. Their favorite lines here are, "Who knows what a catch is anymore?" and, "Is it enough to overturn the call on the field?"
7. Finally, the ref announces the call. Usually it was totally obvious and they could have just tuned into the broadcast for 10 seconds to figure it out.

Great TV...

I understand everyone wants the 100% perfect call all the time, but I'm getting more and more annoyed every time I see a bunch of refs standing around having conferences about everything including false starts.

baumer64

Reaction score
Please don't make judgement calls reviewable.
Someone mentioned Kearse earlier there's also the great catch made by Jimmy in the last game. Granted he MADE the catch with only one hand and controlled it with one hand because the defender had his other arm pinned before the ball even got there. There was no flag on that one either. Now would there have been had the ball not been caught? The refs aren't supposed to determine flags that way so I'd say no.

Letter of the rule... Yes, Sherman pulled on his arm, earlier in the play Julio had hands to the face of Sherman and was equally pushing.

Polaris

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1s2mmv70 said:
HawkGA":1s2mmv70 said:

Not only that but the play happened in the last two minutes of the game so no coaches challenge would be allowed regardless.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I'd like to see them sort out a hail Mary.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

hawk45

Reaction score
Hopefully the decline in ratings exerts a pressure against further awful ideas like this. Gone are the days they can warp the game beyond all recognition and fans will still turn on the TV.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
In a weird way, I enjoy the human aspect to officiating. We can't remove human error altogether. It's part of the game, just have to deal with it.

andyh64000

Reaction score
No...but it should be reduced to 15 yards max like in college.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Falcon fans can't have it both ways. If PI is challengable, then the Hawks get to challenge the two plays where Kearse was blatantly interfered with. The Hawks likely get TDs on those two drives and the Falcons still lose.

Go ahead and make PI challengable. It will favor the Seahawks just as much.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
andyh64000":1xqjtmb8 said:
No...but it should be reduced to 15 yards max like in college.

absolutely, that way it is a tough penalty to swallow but most likely not a game changer.