Niners nation lead piece: the sherman nondpi

SilNWest

Reaction score
None of your points are in the article. Please, if anyone has scrolled down without clicking the link, skip it. :sarcasm_on: No defensive pass interference at all, sounds reasonable. :sarcasm_off:

Hawks46

Reaction score
Talk about a bait and switch thread.

The title of the piece is "There needs to be some kind of change because Richard Sherman got away with DPI again'

Which is clearly read : "we're going to ape the Cardinals press and fans and cry about how the NFL loves the Seahawks so much more than the Niners and they always win lucky games and gee we'd be so much better if the NFL would just PUNISH the Seahawks more"

Was it DPI ? Yes. There was supposedly an emphasis on Offensive PI this year, yet Brandon Marshall and Julio Jones both blatantly pushed off of Sherman with both hands several times, and once Sherman got called for Marshall pushing HIM. Yet he gets the flag. Where's the outrage there ? Where's our justice.

People need to knock it off. You want to see what a misuse of DPI is ? You want to see what happens when refs get flag happy ? Look at that game last night. The Jets were a 7 point underdog. I saw 3 or 4 of the worst DPI calls I've ever seen. Just a flag fest, and the Jets defenders were literally looking at the refs and saying "what exactly am I supposed to do? Do I just let him catch it?' It ruined the game and made it literally unwatchable.

And the NFL is wondering why ratings are falling. Not everyone that watches MNF last night are Cardinals or Jets fans. Yes, I wanted the Cards to lose, but I'd also like to watch a good football game.

Now, here's an exercise if you have time. Go to any of the Cardinals fans forums. You think any of them are nutting up and going "gee, it was so nice and lucky of us to get all those gift flags. We're finally getting some respect". Nope. I'd bet literally all of them believe they deserve every flag. Cuz you know, Larry Fitzgerald.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Me when I read articles from Niner fans complaining about Seattle: :179417:

pmedic920

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":osx0jjpf said:
http://www.ninersnation.com/2016/10/17/13311500/richard-sherman-defensive-pass-interference-julio-jones-instant-replay

Fooch is a good writer and his takeaway seems to be that the dpi seems to be rather random, which I agree with. It could have been enforced against atl too many times but wasn't.

As it seems to be random in calling it, why make it a penalty at all?

I'm really confused, it happens easily so I don't want you to worry too much.

Having said that, do you mind expounding on your point, help me understand what direction you're hoping this thread goes?

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Usually teams that are winning don't complain as much about the refs and rules. They work around them and within them. Only teams that need that validation of why there teams suck so bad use those excuses. Not to say good teams don't get jobbed by the refs. All teams do. Winning is the cure all.

Largent80

Reaction score
Didn't read it. I'll bet it didn't mention Jones smacking Sherm in the face right at the LOS before the PI even occurred.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
pmedic920":7ax5pkr1 said:
SantaClaraHawk":7ax5pkr1 said:
http://www.ninersnation.com/2016/10/17/13311500/richard-sherman-defensive-pass-interference-julio-jones-instant-replay

Fooch is a good writer and his takeaway seems to be that the dpi seems to be rather random, which I agree with. It could have been enforced against atl too many times but wasn't.

As it seems to be random in calling it, why make it a penalty at all?

I'm really confused, it happens easily so I don't want you to worry too much.

Having said that, do you mind expounding on your point, help me understand what direction you're hoping this thread goes?

Sure. Fooch admits to a degree of homerism but then suggests pit calls be more consistently scrutinized , which I don't agree with. Id rather the pi be eliminated as a rule breaker. We share the same sentiment inobjecting to the random nature in which they are called.

me, I think it opens teams to accusations of favoritism or reverse. As I think reviewable pis coukd bog down the game more, I'd like them taken off the rule book.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":2s0z1g0g said:
Usually teams that are winning don't complain as much about the refs and rules. They work around them and within them. Only teams that need that validation of why there teams suck so bad use those excuses. Not to say good teams don't get jobbed by the refs. All teams do. Winning is the cure all.
I remember all of us posting this exact sentiment after Super Bowl XL.

Oh wait.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1fh6um97 said:
Year of The Hawk":1fh6um97 said:

Oh wait.

There is a difference between a bad call or two or just being anally raped with no lube. But still I feel we should have overcome it anyways. We were definitely the better team that year.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":16d3zwmp said:
KiwiHawk":16d3zwmp said:
Year of The Hawk":16d3zwmp said:

Oh wait.

There is a difference between a bad call or two or just being anally raped with no lube. But still I feel we should have overcome it anyways. We were definitely the better team that year.

We did overcome it. Time and again only to be hit with another momentum killing penalty.

Did you by chance notice when the flags were thrown? Pretty much on que with every big play.

The only question remaining after that game was how far were they willing to go? Was there a point they would have stopped taking away big plays? What if we had held them to 3 pounts into the 4th. Do you think they let us finally play? Or did they feel they needed to pad the lead first?

Go back to the game before against Carolina. Early on it was close but once we got momentum we made them look like they didn't belong on the field. They weren't about to let us get momentum. That was blatantly obvious.

A

Anonymous

(* cough, cough...)

HH casually peruses the 9 million Sherman threads on the front page, wonders why, sighs, remembers a time when he could actually do something about it, laments the past, sighs again...

(...cough, cough *)