Kapadia: Earl earned shower vs ATL & 4 other big insights

mikeak

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":7pv0fj9m said:
I'm glad Carroll points out that this pass-heavy offense started at least year's bye; a lot of people are surprised by that.

It should be clarified that this applies to regular season. Then against Carolina we made sure not to use the same approach that got us there............

mikeak

Reaction score
From the article and this is NOT meant as Bevell bashing

"This isn't new this year," coach Pete Carroll said. "This goes back to last year. I keep telling you that. Go back to the middle of last year, and we made some great adjustments and some really nice decisions that were made by Tom [Cable] and Darrell [Bevell] and the offensive staff to put this thing in the kind of mode that it's in now."

So when people like / dislike Bevell it is a common theme that others say it is a lot up to Pete. Per this Bevell and Cable is responsible for the type of offense we have right now. They make the individual playcalls. Pete may set some overall request like more passing / less passing etc but the day-to-day and playcalling decisions belongs with the offensive coordinator and for better or worse he is responsible. I read PCs quote above as a confirmation of this.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
mikeak":1duw86sc said:
From the article and this is NOT meant as Bevell bashing

"This isn't new this year," coach Pete Carroll said. "This goes back to last year. I keep telling you that. Go back to the middle of last year, and we made some great adjustments and some really nice decisions that were made by Tom [Cable] and Darrell [Bevell] and the offensive staff to put this thing in the kind of mode that it's in now."

So when people like / dislike Bevell it is a common theme that others say it is a lot up to Pete. Per this Bevell and Cable is responsible for the type of offense we have right now. They make the individual playcalls. Pete may set some overall request like more passing / less passing etc but the day-to-day and playcalling decisions belongs with the offensive coordinator and for better or worse he is responsible. I read PCs quote above as a confirmation of this.

Maybe. Pete is the kind of coach when something good happens he will give the reward to the coaches. If something bad happens he will fall on the sword. So IMHO it tells us nothing.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
When the decision was made on Sunday to punt on 4th and inches, PC looked pretty anguished - sugggesting to me that the decision had been made not by him.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":1gy25v9k said:
When the decision was made on Sunday to punt on 4th and inches, PC looked pretty anguished - sugggesting to me that the decision had been made not by him.
That's the type of decision that every head coach in the league makes. He was anguished that he had to make that decision in the first place after C-Mike didn't finish that third-down run properly.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3e7domkx said:
LeftHandSmoke":3e7domkx said:
That's the type of decision that every head coach in the league makes. He was anguished that he had to make that decision in the first place after C-Mike didn't finish that third-down run properly.

That's exactly what I took it as.

mikeak

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":33pqfsub said:
LeftHandSmoke":33pqfsub said:

+1

When I said that Bevell makes the playcalls etc that excludes items such as fake punt, going for it on fourth and inches etc

Those calls while the OC may suggest something and definitely part of it before in pre-planning etc they are ultimately made by the HC immediately. The specific play may be by the OC but the decision is not

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":29fvpdgr said:
http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/post/_/id/22609/earl-thomas-earned-a-shower-with-performance-vs-falcons

Stuff about blitzing, the run game, Wilson's release, and Atlanta's exceptional game-planning (which Andy Benoit is also commenting about).

I'm glad Carroll points out that this pass-heavy offense started at least year's bye; a lot of people are surprised by that.

Title of thread is amusing. :lol: