Debunking the myth

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
This topic might be more relevant to the old time Seahawks fans than those that have come along this century. I continue to see and hear Seahawks fans complain about the disrespect and media bias that goes against this team.

If you really want to see disrespect, go back to the late 70's and entire 90's. I'll leave out the 80's Chuck Knox era because there was a bit of respect gained nation wide if only because of Chuck and the wee bit of success the team claimed. The 80's ground chuck teams at least made teams prepare for a battle while the media was aware that they could be competetive. Prior to Mike Holmgren coached Seahawks teams, that was the golden era of Seahawks football. A handful of 9-7 win seasons along with a 12-4 season and one AFC championship appearance.

The Holmgren era, while not providing a Super Bowl win ( :? :roll: ), at least brought about some positive media coverage and respect among the NFL faithful that this was a team that could at least compete for a championship.

Now, we are in a window of unprecedented success for the Seattle Seahawks. This is the golden years of Seahawks football. This era of Seahawks makes the Chuck Knox era look like a date to the prom with your socially awkward cousin.

I hear in the voices of opposing coaches, media talking heads and fans of other teams, a respect that was never there before. Winning a championship not only changes the perception of a team, it also changes the psyche associated with that team. I recently saw/heard some fans discussing the Seahawks in the same vein as the Patriots. It had something to do with the assumption that they would be ranked high because of their past success. I spent the first 30 years as a fan of this franchise hoping for a win each week and hoping beyond belief that maybe just maybe they could get one extra game via the playoffs. Since 2005, minus the Mora debacle, I have come to expect wins and have counted on deep playoff performances. It is as though XLVIII was the glass ceiling that was finally punched through and conquered. The first 30 years of my fandom saw 3 playoff wins in 4 seasons. Since 2003, they have been to the playoffs 10 times with 12 overall wins.

This having won a Super Bowl at some point automatically gives teams a respect that they can and are contenders over the teams that haven't punched through the ceiling. Look at some of the teams who have never won the Super Bowl. Would it not surprise you if they won it all, no matter how good or bad their team might be?

The Seahawks are now talked about nationally as one of the NFL's heavyweight contenders. I remember way too many years where they were never even mentioned and if they were, it was as the butt of a joke as to what an inept or invisible franchise that they were. I sometimes have to take a step back to really appreciate where and who these Seahawks are today. I have gone from a person who hoped one day to at least see my team in the Super Bowl to one who expects that they can win it in any given year with this roster and coaching staff.

Media bias and disrespect? Not in this era my friends!!!

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Awesome post. I feel like I could have written every word myself. We don't blame newer 12's to the scene of course, we all come into our love for the Hawks through various ways and means and generations. Although I kiddingly laughed with Barthawk the other day on the phone when we talked about the newer Seahawks fans not having any experience with true suffering like us old diehards. "Suffering?? YOU don't know suffering!!" LOL... All in good fun.

You're dead on. Make no mistake, these are the Golden Years of Seattle Seahawks Football. The Holmgren Era was the primer and the Pete/John/Russell/LOB Era is the Golden Standard.

I already feel, having finally experienced the #1 thing on my Bucket List, that I am playing with house money in regards to the Seahawks. Some of our long suffering 12 brothers and sisters unfortunately did not have that opportunity as they left this world for the next before they could physically bare witness. Some, like our treasured Les, were able to see them win it all before they moved on. I am so grateful for that.

I feel precisely the way you do. I take it all in with such wonder, gratitude and never once for granted.

Aircrew

Reaction score
Great post. When I tell non sports fans about my life long passionate support of the Seahawks, I think I come off sounding like someone who's endured years of severe emotional abuse and has finally exorcised their demons, I'll explain.
I lived on the east coast for 16 years (1996-2012) and during that time the accepted practice by east coast sports fans was to root for their team and s**t on anyone supporting the Seahawks. Before NFL Sunday Ticket, I had to go down to the nearest sports bar with a dozen satellite dishes on the roof and watch the Hawks play on a 19" black and white TV in the corner with no volume. I kid you not, most people who noticed me in a Hawks jersey having a coronary in the 4th quarter would feel entitled to walk up and ask, "You're a Seahawks fan? They suck, get a real team." YEARS of this wore heavy on me, because if you're a real fan, it hurts when people disrespect what you love. I never forgot that. Even when times were at their worst in the 90's, I held on knowing that someday when we finally did win it all, the years of pain would make it all that much more euphoric. Boy, was I right.
I agree with the OP, these are the Golden Years and I'm grateful that I'm cognizant enough to recognize the moment.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Aros":3cte2g4k said:
Awesome post. I feel like I could have written every word myself. We don't blame newer 12's to the scene of course, we all come into our love for the Hawks through various ways and means and generations. Although I kiddingly laughed with Barthawk the other day on the phone when we talked about the newer Seahawks fans not having any experience with true suffering like us old diehards. "Suffering?? YOU don't know suffering!!" LOL... All in good fun.

You're dead on. Make no mistake, these are the Golden Years of Seattle Seahawks Football. The Holmgren Era was the primer and the Pete/John/Russell/LOB Era is the Golden Standard.

I already feel, having finally experienced the #1 thing on my Bucket List, that I am playing with house money in regards to the Seahawks. Some of our long suffering 12 brothers and sisters unfortunately did not have that opportunity as they left this world for the next before they could physically bare witness. Some, like our treasured Les, were able to see them win it all before they moved on. I am so grateful for that.

I feel precisely the way you do. I take it all in with such wonder, gratitude and never once for granted.
Got me thinking of my dad,he died March15th after the Super Bowl.He knew he was leaving soon so he was getting his papers and such ready that day but he knew they won of course.I remember the 1st game he took me to was the Detroit Lions and that Dome was always the loudest even in the beginning (1976) We lost that day but I was learning about football and the Hawks fast :)

sdog1981

Reaction score
The Seahawks would always hold the worst record to have in the NFL 7-9 to 9-7 record never bad enough to be a joke and never good enough to contend. Most of the time the Seahawks were not even a joke they were forgotten. This team is on the map and they will take your lunch money and I love it.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Great posts by all here. I remember living through the 21 years of agony without a single playoff victory, wondering when would the massive drought ever end. It was a HUGE deal if the Hawks ever made the playoffs-a win was always out of reach though. I was laughed at by east coast adults one time as a kid for defending the Hawks as "a good team" following the '88 season-they chuckled and responded: "Well it's good that you support your hometown team at least." Now postseason runs are common and what we've come to expect every year and sheer gloom befalls everyone when we're eliminated.

For the newer or younger fans whose idea of Hawk misery are the 2008-2009 seasons or something about 1992 they've heard about, understand that Seattle went 35 years without a title in any sport. And above all, despite the frustration that certain players or coaches or the team itself may cause, know that this fine era won't last forever and will be looked back fondly for decades to come.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Pete Carroll accomplished his mission. He engendered a winning culture here. The players expect it, the coaches expect it, and the fans expect it.

I am already dreading when Pete decides he's done.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
The Seahawks 'arrived' in permanent NFL lore when the defense earned the nickname 'Legion of Boom', and then the team backed up legend with the Super Bowl win, and a return trip. That name will forever be associated with this fine group of men.

Mick063

Reaction score
Look how Carolina fell apart post Super Bowl. That is one of many examples that show how hard it is to sustain success, even with a talented roster, and even with a recent track record of success.

Seattle almost fell into the same hangover hole, but recovered to play in another Super Bowl and followed that by winning a playoff game the following year. That recent close call against the Vikings was a portend of a new ascending NFC defense of championship caliber. In hindsight, an impressive road win in bitter cold for Seattle.

Regardless, that is what earns respect. Sustained success.

Pete has not only found a winning formula, but has found a way to recover from adversity before the wheels fall off the cart. Like it has in Carolina.

Jayburd14

Reaction score
I am a longtime Seahawks fan and one thing I noticed this season from the media/talking heads is that they got the benefit of the doubt after the first couple of weeks.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Abso-freaking-lutely right on the money Oldhawkfan. And I have to agree with what Aros and others have echoed as well. I grew up in the Zorn and Largent era, so know precisely how the Seahawks were regarded back then -- not just nationally, but here locally as well. Long time Hawks fans on this board will well remember ... that seemingly the vast majority of people (casual sports fans) in and around the Pacific Northwest regularly referred to this team as the "Sea-Chickens". There were no shortage of jokes about this team and what an absolute laughingstock the public regarded it to be -- and that was the LOCAL public folks -- to say nothing about the national media. Growing up when I would tell others I was a Seahawks fan ... the reaction I would generally get was snickering, scoffing, etc. A lot of people would make you feel embarrassed and generally ashamed to be a Hawks fan.

I'm a teacher and it's absolutely incredible for me to see just how much things have changed. I see that transformation each and every single day, as legions of young Elementary and Middle School students get off the bus daily donning Seahawks T-shirts, jerseys, carrying Seahawks binders, Seahawks backpacks, etc. When I talk Seahawks with these youngsters ... they are absolutely pumped up and proud to be Hawks fans. There is no hint of shame and embarrassment from them in being a 12 whatsoever. They have not a clue in the world how it used to be ... and I sincerely hope they never get the chance to find out.

This is no longer East Alaska ... and Seattle is no longer forgotten or ignored. While we may all collectively complain from time to time about how some still regard Russell Wilson as a "game manager" ... the truth of the matter is that the Seahawks have finally arrived -- front and center stage on the national scene. Embrace it and enjoy the ride people.

BlueThunder

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":g91goowm said:
The Seahawks 'arrived' in permanent NFL lore when the defense earned the nickname 'Legion of Boom', and then the team backed up legend with the Super Bowl win, and a return trip. That name will forever be associated with this fine group of men.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the "Legion Of Boom", and even "L.O.B." will live on forever the same as The Steel Curtain, Purple People Eaters, Orange Crush, etc. But before Pete Carroll, Russ Wilson and Co. depart, I would like to get at least one, preferably two (or more! Hell yeah!) more Lombardi's to really etch our place in NFL history. That's why that loss in XLIX hurt me deeper than just the loss itself. Winning two in a row would have really put a stamp on this team. And it was soooo close! Back-to-Backs are SO rare... :( :229031_banghead: Plus it would be so nice to get rid of that 1-2 thing... grrrr...

sdog1981

Reaction score
BlueThunder":1w6dknuc said:
Jazzhawk" That's why that loss in XLIX hurt me deeper than just the loss itself. Winning two in a row would have really put a stamp on this team. And it was soooo close! Back-to-Backs are SO rare... :( :229031_banghead: Plus it would be so nice to get rid of that 1-2 thing... grrrr...[/quote:1w6dknuc said:
This is spot on. No matter what happens and no matter what argument you put forth about this team is always come back with a "yeah but..." The Seahawks could win the next 6 Superbowls and the counter to that is "yeah but you could have had one more"