I don't blame Hauschka.

Maulbert

Reaction score
He's 14 of 22 in Arizona in his career. In fact, in 7 career games at Glendale against the Cards, he's missed at least once in every game except 2013. Pete should have gone for the TD at least once before turning to Hauschka. Hauschka did his bit, he kept us in the game. Asking for more was greedy considering his history down there. But that's just my opinion.

nash72

Reaction score
Nobody makes them all, but you can hardly get a more makeable kick in the NFL. He just missed it. That's all.

randomation

Reaction score
What I don't get is why you don't A. run another play B. get the clock down to 3 seconds and take the timeout. Leave no time on the clock and don't rush your kicking team we had a timeout that we did nothing with.

ivotuk

Reaction score
They should have run another play.

That field is absolute shit, and the odds were against Hauschka.

But I'm going to be as mellow as possible. We got out of their house with an elite defensive performance, and a tie.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Agreed with everyone's comments here-running 1 more safe play to go for the TD wouldn't have hurt. It was only 2nd down and they had their TO. (This conversation sounds so familiar doesn't it?)

Yes, there's a risk for a fumble, but you shouldn't put the game on your kicker until you absolutely have to. Others will disagree, but at minimum, if you're set to kick on 2nd down, take some time off the clock and take a TO, get everyone relaxed so there's no hurry, get everything set and kick. It was too rushed at the end and needlessly so.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I think we all agree that they should have run at least one more play before attempting the FG. Seemed hasty. Not that that alone excuses what should have been a no-brainer FG but why not attempt a shot in the endzone before one last try at a FG?

Regardless, Stephen missed it point blank. I watched the snap ten times and while it wasn't perfect, it was definitely good enough to make a solid kick. Unfortunately for Stephen, this is entirely on him.

We should be 5-1 right now, not 4-1-1.

Yet let me be clear...I still love the guy. I think he's still a fantastic kicker. He just had a flub.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
I do. He's paid "Housh money" to make those chip shots. From 50 yards out and a miss that wide? Eh, good try, dude. From that close? That's why we pay him money to put on a uniform.

That said...

The management at the end was a little iffy. I'd have run another play too, or at least run the clock down to almost zero to avoid any last minute heroics like Palmer could well have pulled off there at the end. Not only was the risk of an injury during that hail Mary about even with the risk of a fumble on another play, but it could have meant the game instead of just a tie or possible win.

themunn

Reaction score
If we run another play and fumble or throw an int we'd never hear the end of it.

Field goal wins it there, it's the right decision 100 times out of 100

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
themunn":dmsq3774 said:
Field goal wins it there, it's the right decision 100 times out of 100

Agreed but I think the conversation is why go for it right then when you could have potentially thrown or run it in for a TD? Not saying that would have happened but why go for the FG when you had a couple shots?

Overseasfan

Reaction score
It's a shame but I don't blame a kicker for anything when the offense has failed to score even 1 TD.

That said, a tie always benefits the team in the lead more. Rams and Niners lost so as weird as it sounds we're the biggest winners of our division this week. No worries.

Fade

Reaction score
randomation":352yor2a said:
What I don't get is why you don't A. run another play B. get the clock down to 3 seconds and take the timeout. Leave no time on the clock and don't rush your kicking team we had a timeout that we did nothing with.

Correct. Pete Carroll botched the end of the game. I was absolutely stunned why they rushed the kick team, when they didn't have to. I was thinking.. he would still make it, but why do it when you don't have to?

potatohead

Reaction score
Fade":3a690tlx said:
randomation":3a690tlx said:

Correct. Pete Carroll botched the end of the game. I was absolutely stunned why they rushed the kick team, when they didn't have to. I was thinking.. he would still make it, but why do it when you don't have to?

Kicking on third down in that situation is the normal play, in case the snap is fumbled you jump on it and have another shot... Just ask Tony Romo. I don't remember 100% but I'm pretty certain Arizona kicked on third down earlier as well at the other end.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Sorry, I do. He should of made the kick. I mean it wasn't even close! Probably the worst kick he has ever attempted as a Hawk. And I also believe that Pete should of taken the timeout before hand not make everything seem so rushed, but dang-it Hauschka still needs to make that kick. Hopefully this doesn't affect him like the missed chip shot in the playoffs seemed to do to Blair Walsh.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Maulbert":7xzvuq8k said:
He's 14 of 22 in Arizona in his career. In fact, in 7 career games at Glendale against the Cards, he's missed at least once in every game except 2013. Pete should have gone for the TD at least once before turning to Hauschka. Hauschka did his bit, he kept us in the game. Asking for more was greedy considering his history down there. But that's just my opinion.
I love the guy, but I can. The snap was a little high but the spot and hold were there.
It's that soft turf he hates, gotta adjust for it. I also think the kick was rushed as the playclock was winding down,
Which is why they should have taken a TO before the kick.

But let's be real, the putrid offense was the reason they tied.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Well... I dont blame him. Everybody misses some. But he is paid above average for one thing, and that is making those clutch kicks. I hope they bring competiton to the next training camp.

BTW. When have the Seahawks tied last time? I cant remember. Edit: looked it up. Never. No wonder I could'nt remember...

getnasty

Reaction score
How can you not blame him? I'd make that kick 9 out of 10 times. Now I think some of the blame needs to fall on Pete for not calling a timeout and getting everything situated. Also that snap was high and you have to wonder if those kind of things start playing in a kickers head?

zchurch74

Reaction score
Hauschka, has been great for us, but over the last couple seasons he has missed a few. He missed the extra point against Miami and could of cost us the game. He has missed a few extra points since they moved it back.

I know he has made game winners and has been a great Seahawks but I think its time to move on. Of course finish out the year but in the offseason its time to work out and find a new kicker.

That game was too important to miss that kick. He didn't just miss the field goal but HE MISSED THE NET. That was so bad Blair Walsh thought it was a bad kick.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
Not much reason to run another play. Not unless you believe in some time-space continuum thing. Or want some sort of quick rub/slant play (we've practiced that there before you know). Likely very little chance to score in that situation. Bigger chance to have a turnover.

I did think it was odd that we did not call a TO to get settled.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
getnasty":1y3wh283 said:
How can you not blame him? I'd make that kick 9 out of 10 times. Now I think some of the blame needs to fall on Pete for not calling a timeout and getting everything situated. Also that snap was high and you have to wonder if those kind of things start playing in a kickers head?

The same way Atlanta cant blame the refs for losing last week. There were plenty of opportunities for us to do anything but failed to do so. In fact we were only there because there kicker blew an even easier kick. Yes he should have made it but I would never put the total blame on him. He was only part of the problem.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
You don't run another play down there because you risk turning the ball over. The right decisions were made. The kick, unfortunately, wasn't.