Honey Badger calls out Seahawks offensive line

xgeoff

Reaction score
In the following article Tyrann Mathieu articulates what just about all of us know, which is that our line is atrocious and other teams are looking forward to playing them:

http://thesportsdaily.com/the-sports-da ... that-good/

The guys we have on our line need to man up. They need to know that, as professionals, they are being found wanting. They need to know that, as men, they are being seen as lesser. And if they can't get their 300+ lb bodies to at least get in the defenders' way for 2-3 seconds, then they need to be sent packing.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Sent packing? Where are they going? Who's gonna replace them mid season?

This is a problem you address in the off season, and other than Ifedi, we didn't. We did what we always do, slap together a bunch of nobodies, has beens and projects hoping Cable can get them up to average so we can pinch pennies and spend cap space elsewhere.

Hard to argue that approach with how successful this team's been.............but holy moly games like last night make it hard to watch that line look downright putrid and embarrassing.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
He basically stated the obvious.

Our o line is bad. Hopefully they improve as the season progresses sort of like last year

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":363kssu8 said:

This is a problem you address in the off season, and other than Ifedi, we didn't. We did what we always do, slap together a bunch of nobodies, has beens and projects hoping Cable can get them up to average so we can pinch pennies and spend cap space elsewhere.

Hard to argue that approach with how successful this team's been.............but holy moly games like last night make it hard to watch that line look downright putrid and embarrassing.

It's a brittle approach to the team build that isn't validated 3/6 games so far this year.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2e1fcefg said:

The skimping on the OL is a new development, and unfortunately a necessary one as we've started having to pay our stars. Drawing on a previous thread, when we won the Owl we had the highest paid line in the league.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/2013/offensive-line/

We are now dead last, and by a considerable margin:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/offensive-line/

I completely understand what the FO is trying to do, but unfortunately it doesn't work. Time to reevaluate.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
I just feel like ignoring the offensive line is playing with fire.

I think in Pete's mind he thought he could just plug and play but it's clear you can't in the NFL against NFL player talent on the defensive line.

Jville

Reaction score
xgeoff":2nj3plnk said:
In the following article Tyrann Mathieu articulates what just about all of us know, which is that our line is atrocious and other teams are looking forward to playing them:

http://thesportsdaily.com/the-sports-da ... that-good/

The guys we have on our line need to man up. They need to know that, as professionals, they are being found wanting. They need to know that, as men, they are being seen as lesser. And if they can't get their 300+ lb bodies to at least get in the defenders' way for 2-3 seconds, then they need to be sent packing.

No need to misrepresent Tyrann Mathieu.

What Tyrann Mathieu was actually quoted as saying was ...... “Let’s call it what it is,” Mathieu said, via Josh Weinfuss of ESPN. “Their offensive line is not that good. So, we felt like we could get pressure on them, which we did a bunch of times.”

Hawkpower

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":1gsnncjx said:
I just feel like ignoring the offensive line is playing with fire.

I think in Pete's mind he thought he could just plug and play but it's clear you can't in the NFL against NFL player talent on the defensive line.

When you have the # of high paid contracts that we do (and deservedly so) you are going to have deficiencies somewhere.

Having a pinched together secondary or a slapped up group of nobodies at WR is no better.

Its a reality of the situation our roster presents. We will have to either get creative, or make it an organizational philosophy to reallocate financial resources to the oline at the expense of something else.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
Thanks for stating the obvious everybody already knows but my message to Honey Badger would be first take a look in the mirror. What does it say about your team that just played a game against a team with such a horrible o-line on your home turf that was clearly having an off day with uncharacteristic dropsies (not to mention the bad reffing calls) and could still only pull out a tie after 5 quarters of football. :pukeface:

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Something the Patriots do very well is scheming against their opponents, offensively and defensively. their Oline are a bunch of nobodies but they found a way, their defense hasn't been top 10 for a long time yet they get it done. Their contracts are balance across the board.

Pete wants defense first but next year will be telling. Kam might want an extension, so will Bennett, and Shead will be wanting a longer term contract. We will have to draft Oline early again, we won't have money to grab a veteran unless the guy is willing to go one year prove it deal.

I wonder if all this is hyperbole for now because Wilson and Lockett are playing while hurt. If both healthy I can see us getting our running game going and Lockett back with the deadly returns and deep plays. Those are the two things we are missing badly.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":1pswm5kz said:
Sgt. Largent":1pswm5kz said:

The skimping on the OL is a new development, and unfortunately a necessary one as we've started having to pay our stars. Drawing on a previous thread, when we won the Owl we had the highest paid line in the league.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/2013/offensive-line/

We are now dead last, and by a considerable margin:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/offensive-line/

I completely understand what the FO is trying to do, but unfortunately it doesn't work. Time to reevaluate.

Yeah the problem is, then we had an expensive OL and cheap secondary. Now we have an expensive secondary and cheap OL. You get 1 or the other not both.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Out tackles were the issue last night, the interior line did alright, alright might be being too kind. Sowell and Gilliam were worse then atrocious!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
The Cards TOTALLY dominated in the Time-Of-Possession, 'IN THEIR STADIUM' carved up a rated near dead last Offensive Line and a somewhat gimpy Quarterback, had the Referees giving them all kinds of help and yet, only managed to eke out a THREE POINT tie? ....Should ought to make them feel pretty good about where they are in the Power Rankings eh?
Keep on scrimping on the O-Line Pete, maybe we can keep on LUCKING OUT a couple more wins or ties.
Hopefully when Wilson shakes off the Forest Gump Leg Brace, he doesn't have more injuries because of piss poor Offensive Line protection.

pmedic920

Reaction score
A healthy RW is able to compensate for some O line deficiencies.
A Hobbled RW is not able to compensate.
We don't necessarily need RW to run but we do need the threat of him running. It changes how defenses need to play us.
Our Achilles heel is exposed,
The staff either figures out a way to protect it, or else.

Possible answers are out there, lets see what they do.
Yesterday should have proven that this season weighs in the balance.

We can't/ won't beat playoff caliber teams as we are currently trying to.
What are the answers?
I'm not sure but something must change.
Better play calling to fit the situation?
Bring in a couple of O lineman before trade deadline?

Sit RW, trust/play our #2 QB?

IDK but I pray the do something to address the problem.

mrt144

Reaction score
Not playing Wilson is off the table because Boykin's mobility doesn't even begin to compete with RW's ability to pass and not make big mistakes, even in his limited capacity.

Run way more 11 packages with Inline TE from Shotgun, 3 Wide and RB in the backfield. TE chips and runs an in or slant and sets up as relief valve for RW. Jimmy has been doing this but it has to be consistent on way more plays and the formation itself doesn't function as a tell to play.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pmedic920":ezzosk3r said:
A healthy RW is able to compensate for some O line deficiencies.
A Hobbled RW is not able to compensate.

Our Achilles heel is exposed,
The staff either figures out a way to protect it, or else.

Possible answers are out there, lets see what they do.
Yesterday should have proven that this season weighs in the balance.

We can't/ won't beat playoff caliber teams as we are currently trying to.
What are the answers?
I'm not sure but something must change.
Better play calling to fit the situation?
Bring in a couple of O lineman before trade deadline?

Sit RW, trust/play our #2 QB?

IDK but I pray the do something to address the problem.

It's everything.............playcalling, scheming, and trying to execute with some very big injuries.

IMO Lockett's injury might even be as big as Russell's, because he's the explosive play WR that can take the top off the defense and stop the press cover 8-9 men in the box that's causing so much of these problems.

Dude's not right, and we're having a hard time adjusting to what he brings to the offense.

pmedic920

Reaction score
mrt144":35icm5za said:
Not playing Wilson is off the table because Boykin's mobility doesn't even begin to compete with RW's ability to pass and not make big mistakes, even in his limited capacity.

Run way more 11 packages with Inline TE from Shotgun, 3 Wide and RB in the backfield. TE chips and runs an in or slant and sets up as relief valve for RW. Jimmy has been doing this but it has to be consistent on way more plays and the formation itself doesn't function as a tell to play.

Sounds like you have the answers.
You should email them to Pete, or better yet, apply for the Job.

:{)

In all seriousness, if WE had the answers, WE wouldn't do what WE do. We would do what THEY do.

I could kick Pete,s ass when it comes to pre-hospital emergency medicine, not even close when it comes to football.
I'm lucky to recognize there is a problem, let alone pretend i know how to fix it without creating a different one.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":2xzkl8z9 said:
The salary cap situation isn't going to get any better either...

After this season's television ratings, salary caps will freeze or drop... so anyone up for a new contract is essentially gone from this team, and every team with decent cap space right now is sitting pretty.
I guess Kaep found a way to beat us after all. Seriously wonder if Russell could re structure to help the team grab at
least one NFL caliber starter at tackle?

mrt144

Reaction score
pmedic920":3rnomhki said:
mrt144":3rnomhki said:

Sounds like you have the answers.
You should email them to Pete, or better yet, apply for the Job.

:{)

In all seriousness, if WE had the answers, WE wouldn't do what WE do. We would do what THEY do.

I could kick Pete,s ass when it comes to pre-hospital emergency medicine, not even close when it comes to football.
I'm lucky to recognize there is a problem, let alone pretend i know how to fix it without creating a different one.

A lifetime commitment to coaching and rising through the ranks and dealing with all the BS is a bridge too far for most people. Coaching is as much about surviving the toll it takes on you and your family as much as it is about simply being better at it than contemporaries.