The truth is we rolled the dice and lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
At the start of the year, a lot of us kept looking at the line and puzzling.

If Wilson is the key to the success of this team, why bargain basement the most important group that keeps your QB upright &/or healthy?

But it, like cutting your effective LS, is a means of controlling cost. So we rolled the dice, because with a mobile QB maybe we did not need a great line - Russ can just run away from pressure. Any other QB would get killed behind that line but we just figured we could make it work.

I still think a better line would have kept our QB healthy. But hindsight being 20/20, that does not matter.

What does matter is that Russ is nowhere near mobile now, and our line is worse this year, not better.

(An injured Okung would have been a better call, vs Captain Turnstyle that we 'stole' from AZ. At least in the 60-70% of the games that Okung played he was competent to very good. He was just out a few games a year).

So now we are stuck. The OL is a glaring weakness. But these are the horses we have.

We gambled and lost, in my opinion on a really, really stupid bet.

I am also beginning to think that as good as we seem to be at evaluating and developing in great secondary players, we are just as horrible at evaluating and developing competent OL.

The water is going to start getting rougher as the opponents get more challenging. But we are probably stuck with the guys we have got.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Already plenty of threads open on the offensive woes and specifically the o-line. Please feel free to post in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.