Reasons I am [still] pumped! (week 7 edition)

byau

Reaction score
After sleeping on it a bit..and also listening to the first half of the 9am hour of B&S, I for some reason am still super pumped about the Seahawks. Considering the below:

1) Think back to the Atlanta game .. that's a game we lost last year. But not this year.

The Seahawks "D" had an epic collapse in the 3rd quarter (and I don't use the word epic lightly..it's appropriate here) and let up 3 touchdowns. It was a lockdown effort by the D PLUS the Seahawks coming back and doing what they had to do to win it. That's a game we lost last year

2) Thinking back to last night's game ... that's DEFINITELY a game we lost last year. But not this year
And it's because of our epic D. (and I don't use the word "epic" lightly! Totally worthy of the moniker here).

Listening to the stats: an almost 3 to 1 ratio of the defense:eek:ffense on the field time. And something like 95 snaps. No matter how good your D is, if they're on the field that long they will get tired and that's a game not just we lose, but almost any team loses. But no, we don't lose this year.

While others might think the game might have been boring and even one CBS Sports report says this game set football back 100 years with the two missed field goals, those folks focusing on the field goals are missing how AWESOME the game was.

It was a true slug it out battle between an offense that is much better than the 6 points they put on paper, an offense that realizes David Johnson is their best player and they continously fed him and while he got his, they D definitely got theirs on him too. And in the end the Arizona D..with SIX red zone trips, couldn't get it done. 6 points.

Oh another stat I read ... it was either something about the play ratio being that severe or having your offense on the field for 45+ minutes. Either way, this has happened 8 times in NFL history, and prior to last night the record of the teams having their offense on the field so long was 8-0. After last night, 8-0-1.

3) Richard Sherman...beastly
Played every snap, and yeah he slipped on that very last receiving play but on the field goal attempt he and Bobby caused the kicker to go wide left to the upright

4) Bobby Wagner ... amazing

Not just the special teams play, but dude's a warrior tackling. I heard briefly one stat mentioned that I think I heard right..0 missed tackles. And also played every snap except the one where he was getting an IV

5) Defense as a unit... epic

Have to mention them again..they fought and fought. On the very last play where Sherm slipped I thought that was a touchdown and then one of our DBs (McCrae or Shead, dont' remember, I think it was McCrae) ran down the guy and got him at the one ... that's fighting for a blade of grass. The play after (I think it was after?) Earl running across the field to bump the guy out of bounds inches from a TD score. Brock said this morning about the rarity of these guys, after getting paid, still playing like rookies waiting to get paid.

6) Tanner McElvoy's blocked punt!!!

He blocked the punt WHILE BEING BLOCKED... Tanner didn't have a free run at the punter, he ran through his blocker. That's determination and fight and grit

7) Our Coach.. love 'em

While in the end results matter, you can still favor a specific coaching style. Each coach had polar responses to their respective kickers missing a field goal last night. One of them said "You get paid to make it" while the other said "I love him and he's our guy". I'd rather take that second guy.

8) And finally..the offense:

Not to disregard them and leave an elephant in the room. Sure, seems like not a lot to be pumped up about here... But consider the following

* it's still a long season, things change from week to week and who kows next week we may be pumped up about the offense and the D has a bad game. (Oh hey, that actually was almost last week against Atlanta).
* Russell got sacked one time
* Our "practice squad" level running backs are still keeping us in it. They are not getting 5 yards per carry, but they are often getting 3 yards per carry which gets you in a 3rd and manageable
* Speaking of 3rd and manageable, we are not getting 3rd and longs that often (except penalties). We are often getting 3rd and manageables..3rd and 3, 3rd and 4. That's a good thing because it at least keeps us in it.
* This is the very very same offense that we've been pretty impressed with the last three games.
* As a whole the Seahawks coaches and FO look to be quicker to make moves this season, and make decisions. I think they learned from last season not to wait so long. I think they will follow through and figure out the adjustments that need to be made with the proper urgency.

For that reason, and that things change week to week, I'm in a "wait and see" period and not ready to scream emergency, and definitely interested and anxious to see the offense adjustments for next week

In short, I'M [still] PUMPED and hope the guys get a lot of good rest after that marathon of a game and look forward to meeting up with the Saints next week.

OP
OP
byau

byau

Reaction score
Hawks46":3vxgap96 said:
Good positive post man. We need it.

Thanks man, and to be honest writing this really fired up and I actually had to quit writing there :) Was starting to get really long and tangential, yeah there are a lot of things to like about last night's game.

Looking forward to watching it again on replay/condensed this week and see that epic D.

I'm just hoping they get some rest this week.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Love the positivity! We are 4-1-1 with a 2 game lead in the division and the Cardinals have a scary schedule ahead...This is our division this year.

Cowboys will fade at some point, Vikings came back to earth yesterday...

The number 1 seed is entirely possible!

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
C Mike is trying really hard, dang near broke a couple big ones even yesterday but: Am so looking forward to the effort and balls-to-wall tenacity Rawls is bound to bring! Remember that guy??

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
We all know the offense will be humming in the second half of the season. They always do.

It will happen.

We are 4-1-1 and getting by thanks to our defense and a little good fortune. That's the kind of stuff you need to go deep in the playoffs.

We get out of N.O. with a win, we can handle Buffalo on MNF in our house ... we go to New England at 6-1-1.

We are in good shape. We will have to scrap for HFA, but we will win the West and get at least one home playoff game.

The Cardinals, our only real competition in the West, play @ Carolina, @ Minnesota, @ Atlanta and @ Miami in their next 4 road games, plus a home game with Washington in their as well.

The huge difference between this season and last season is we are not way behind the 8-ball as we approach mid-season. We are winning the close ones.