Read Option failure early - did we tip our hand?

JesterHawk

Reaction score
I got the feeling that Russ took the keep option early to try and 'prove' that he was a threat to run. He got taken down hard and I feel like that set the tone for the offense early. Rather than gaining respect as a run threat, he proved that he wasn't one which allowed their defense to adjust to that gap in our game.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
JesterHawk":1f837eyv said:
I got the feeling that Russ took the keep option early to try and 'prove' that he was a threat to run. He got taken down hard and I feel like that set the tone for the offense early. Rather than gaining respect as a run threat, he proved that he wasn't one which allowed their defense to adjust to that gap in our game.

Honestly, that play was doomed because Russell made the wrong read. He should of given it to C-Mike as the defensive back was holding the edge.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Blitzer88":433nhm6t said:
Honestly, that play was doomed because Russell made the wrong read. He should of given it to C-Mike as the defensive back was holding the edge.

Yeah, Russ should have given him the ball on that one. Not that Michael inspires confidence with the way he's diving to the ground prior to any real contact on his runs. Such a strange thing to see a RB step out of bounds rather than fight for yards.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It's silly to me.

I keep hearing media people saying stuff like "we gotta at least show teams that we're still running the read option, even if we know it won't be successful cause of Russell's injuries."

Why waste plays on something you know isn't going to work?